What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 16th 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well outdated ...
dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up the town tomorrow
then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase will all be open, and if
they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Old April 16th 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:43:05 UTC, "Sparks" wrote:

I did wonder where there is a shop that was 3 Kilometres wide and long!!

On a more modest scale, there's a UK library that's 184 metres long!

Old April 16th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up
the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase
will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours a

• Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening

• Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and 6pm
Easter Sunday - closed

from:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/sunday.htm

Old April 16th 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

AHHH makes me happy

Q7. Why doesn't this protection extend to Scotland?
The protection was originally introduced by the Sunday Trading Act 1994,
which does not extend to Scotland. The Sunday Working (Scotland) Act 2003
provides protection for shop and betting workers in Scotland.

stupid bloody rules

Old April 16th 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i
go up the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys,
comet, homebase will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be
well ****ed

On 16 Apr 2006, Jackie
Greenjackie.green@removethisifyouwantmeblueyonder .co.uk wrote:

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening
hours a

 Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on
opening

 Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and
6pm Easter Sunday - closed

Easter Sunday = closed is more like what I remember. Maybe stores
are taking their chances more and more these days by opening at times
when they really should not be.

Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.
Old April 16th 06, 12:40 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
[...]

not to mention the panic buying that will ahve taken pace on the Fri/Sat cos
the shops are closed for a whoooooole day :-/

Old April 16th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
Andy wrote:
Guess it's going to be a mad rush in the stores on Monday then.

not to mention the panic buying that will ahve taken pace on the Fri/Sat
cos the shops are closed for a whoooooole day :-/

omg of course, thats why sainsburies looked like locusts had decended- next
to no fresh vegetables, none of my favourite pizzas either, many popular
lines decimated, boy was I lucky to get the last remaining granary rolls-
hey I could ebay them, there must be a huge demand.

Ad

Old April 16th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

I think it's stupid they have to close on Easter Sunday, it's only a Sunday
like any other, nothing special about it, why shouldn't I be able to shop
just because a few silly people think it's a special day.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old April 16th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

RiTSo wrote:
I think it's something along the lines of shops over three thousand
square metres can only open for a maximum of six hours. The big ASDA
near here is open from 10-6 on a Sunday.

That's 8 hours...

10-4 ?
Old April 16th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh Andy:
[...]

Because many of those "silly people" would have to work on a day that is
religously important to them. WTF is the problem with many shoppers? Why
can't they cope if the shops are going to be shut for twenty four hours?

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk