insprion 6000 and XP help

Old January 16th 07, 12:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Xanth

Default insprion 6000 and XP help

Hello all,

I just purchased a Dell off Ebay and was told it came with a clean copy of
XP. Well its not. I know Dell is a proprietary computer system, so do I need
to buy a XP disk from Dell with there drivers to make the notebook work
correctly?

TIA,
Dave-

Old January 16th 07, 01:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ric

Xanth wrote:

Hello all,

I just purchased a Dell off Ebay and was told it came with a clean copy of
XP. Well its not. I know Dell is a proprietary computer system, so do I need
to buy a XP disk from Dell with there drivers to make the notebook work
correctly?

TIA,
Dave-

"proprietary"?
it's a PC, nothing special. if you want a clean install, get an OEM
copy of XP and visit the dell website for the drivers. put in the
system tag, and download all the drivers for your laptop (chipset,
audio, video, modem, etc) and burn to a CD. install windows, then
install drivers (chipset first) and you're good to go.
alternately you could try and get an original restore disk for your
specific laptop in case it's cheaper than OEM windows, but i doubt
they'll sell you one...
ric

Old January 16th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

since you already have a license sticker that's attached to the computer
side, right? you can buy a dell branded cd to match the license that is
on your computer case. you can also try calling dell to see if tech
support wil send you a cd, tell them you didnt receive one when you got
the computer. i wouldnt say you got it on ebay though.

Old January 16th 07, 05:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

No.

Install plain, generic Windows XP, then install the drivers for the
Inspiron 6000 that you can download from the Dell Web site.

All of the drivers are available for separate download.

Old January 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

well you could try pressing f11 durring the power on self test (post) and
see if a recovery menu appears. there is a chance the the original factory
software image still exisits on the drive and can be re-loaded to factory
fresh state.
otherwise, like others said, just get a dell branded windows xp cd from ebay
as it won't require activation on your system.
plus get your drivers from dell site he
http://tinyurl.com/8pwum
and this dell utility will walk you through step by step installation of
windows...
http://tinyurl.com/ydepxv