Vista hits the shelves 1/30/07

Old November 8th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Default Vista hits the shelves 1/30/07

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/061108/407_id.html?.v=1

Bob
Old November 8th 06, 11:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Doug Jacobs

Bob Levine wrote:
http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/061108/407_id.html?.v=1

Yep, and there it will sit.

Is anyone here looking forward to Vista? If so, why?

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
Old November 9th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

"Doug Jacobs" wrote in message

Bob Levine wrote:
http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/061108/407_id.html?.v=1

Yep, and there it will sit.

Is anyone here looking forward to Vista? If so, why?

I am, as copies of Windows XP will be dirt cheap.

--
Bill
Old November 9th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

You may be right. Windows 2000 Pro never dropped in price, because it was not
sold at retail, only thru distributors to resellers. So Micro$oft controlled
the sale price of Win 2000. With a lot of copies of Windows XP sitting in
retail stores, they are likely to seem less attractive to buyers conned into
using the late$t and greate$t from Micro$oft... Ben Myers

Old November 9th 06, 05:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigJim

I know some people who still run 98se and ME and win2k and of course xp sp2.
It will be interesting to watch who buys vista. I am not interested right
now/ oh I forgot
to mention the Linux users I know.

Old November 9th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Will the shelves hit back? ... Ben Myers

Old November 9th 06, 02:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
rob

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/061108/407_id.html?.v=1

Bob

To be honest, I haven't kept up with Linux lately but couple of years
ago, I heard it was a bit difficult to master so that makes me ask...
is Linux really practical for the home user nowadays? Is it not too
hard to learn with some of the more recent interfaces and is there
enough third party software to add on, etc. etc. etc... ?

Last, does Dell sell any systems with Linux on them?
Old November 9th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

You can download CD images for Ubuntu Linux, which is pretty nice, then make
your own CDs. Or you can buy copies for cheap. The install is pretty slick.
So is KDE or Gnome menu navigation. The selection of useful application
software is extensive. Printer support is generally good, with Postscript
printers having excellent support. If you have to exchange documents,
spreadsheets, and presentations with people using Microsoft Office, you need to
work a little bit at it, and the exchange is not 100% perfect.

There are other Linux distributions that are quite good, too. The Linux crowd
calls them distros, inventing their own special and geeky vocabulary.

You probably would end up buying a Dell system with Window$ on it, pay the extra
$10 (??) to get the Windows restore media, and install Linux yourself, the way
you like it... Ben Myers

Old November 9th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin

Bob Levine wrote:
http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/061108/407_id.html?.v=1

Yep, and there it will sit.

Is anyone here looking forward to Vista? If so, why?

No. I have no reason to use it. I don't need a see-through GUI, a tabbed
browser, or the ability to see my folders as "souped-up thumbnails".

Old November 9th 06, 06:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Pretti

Ubuntu worked very well on my B130, except I could not get the wireless card
to work. So I am still using XP. If I had to make a change for some reason,
I supect I would try Linux again rather than pay even a penny for Vista.

- Steve Pretti

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/061108/407_id.html?.v=1

Bob

To be honest, I haven't kept up with Linux lately but couple of years
ago, I heard it was a bit difficult to master so that makes me ask...
is Linux really practical for the home user nowadays? Is it not too
hard to learn with some of the more recent interfaces and is there
enough third party software to add on, etc. etc. etc... ?

Last, does Dell sell any systems with Linux on them?

Thoughts on Vista Mike T. Homebuilt PC's 305 January 9th 07 07:30 PM
Vista, or XP? Evert Homebuilt PC's 11 November 3rd 06 04:35 AM
Vista Driver Requests Quaoar Dell Computers 1 June 10th 06 11:55 PM
Vista Driver Requests Tom Scales Dell Computers 2 June 10th 06 03:22 PM
Hardware Upgrade for Windows Vista suggestions? M. B. Asus Motherboards 4 March 14th 06 12:31 AM