argh: Dell (UK) inventory problems?

Old July 24th 07, 09:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ric

Default argh: Dell (UK) inventory problems?

Just ordered a C521 for a user - bargain at £188 all in. This is the
2nd I've had this month, and probably the 20th Dell I've ordered over
the past few years. All showing as available on the website: a week
after ordering I get an email advising that it'll be delayed a month
due to component shortages.
I fill in the webmail form on the website over the weekend, spending
some time getting the details right, only for it to error out with
"Our email system is unavailable: please try later" on submission.
I then phone Dell and spend 20 minutes trying to explain to someone in
Bangalore that I'd like to cancel order and swap for something that
they could deliver earlier.
Helpdesk then advises me that they have no way of finding out what the
time to manufacture any of their systems would be. They also have no
idea what parts are in short supply, other than monitors, graphics
cards and wireless cards (none of which applied to my C521) so cannot
suggest any alternatives.

I know they're cheap and you don't get good customer service for
nothing, but I am getting really annoyed with large companies where
one hand has no idea what the other one is doing...

Anyone have any info on what parts might be in short supply currently,
or past experience on how pessimistic or optimistic their projected
delivery dates are?

Ric

Old July 24th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Just ordered a C521 for a user - bargain at £188 all in.

I'm just curious how the hell you got it so low !

Did it include the monitor too, or was it just for a base unit ?
Old July 24th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jonathan Eales

Default Dell (UK) inventory problems?

I've ordered from DELL UK:

a) a new Inspiron 531 desktop on order since 2nd July, delayed once, now due
27th July.
b) a Vostro V1000 laptop ordered on 12th July, due 31st July.
c) a C521 desktop ordered on 14th July, due 30th July.
d) a Dimension 9200 ordered on 19th July, due 30th July.

All have not moved from Pre-production status apart from the Inspiron 531
which has been in 'Production (sic)' since the 17th July. Previously, I'd
been receiving units every 4 to 5 days, from order to delivery on standard
systems.

Has DELL in Ireland completely gone on an early summer holiday? Or perhaps
AMD and Intel have stopped making CPUs due to the bad weather.

I've a new Vostro 200 desktop to order tomorrow, but when can I expect to
get it?

DELL's revenues should be seriously affected this month if this is the
general situation.

ups.com...

Old July 25th 07, 09:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ric

On Jul 24, 7:07 pm, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
Just ordered a C521 for a user - bargain at £188 all in.

I'm just curious how the hell you got it so low !

Did it include the monitor too, or was it just for a base unit ?

Yes, base unit only. One of the usual Dell special offers, I usually
use www.hotukdeals.com or www.dmxdimension.com for finding them.

Got a call from India last night - they've found out what was holding
it up: the speakers. Dammit. Attempted to change order to remove the
speakers from it (I was only getting them from Dell for convenience
anyway) but they don't seem to be able to do this. Estimated delivery
date is now verbally given as next week - we'll see...

Ric

What happens to outdated unused inventory? Buck Rogers Intel 4 April 27th 06 05:47 AM
Hardware inventory Robotique General 2 February 19th 06 04:28 AM
Using WMI for inventory of PC's and LCD's [email protected] General 1 June 3rd 05 04:28 AM
Inventory Shawn Dell Computers 9 August 5th 04 08:49 PM
ARGH! philo General 2 July 14th 03 01:20 AM