building machine? local store vs mail order? Dallas area

Old December 17th 03, 02:31 PM
mi mo

Default building machine? local store vs mail order? Dallas area

Should i mail order my custum machine parts? I will be needing everything
from the ground up.

No Sales tax would be great, and Id like to get it on its way!

Looking at the option of a p4 3.2 or AMD 64 .. amd fan!

Got any suggestions! Frys is the only big supplier I know of around Dallas!

Mark and Mindy
Thanks

Old December 17th 03, 03:14 PM
Fitz

If you mail order, try to get everything from one reputable vendor...saves
on shipping charges. Newegg.com and MWave.com consistently have large
selections and competitive prices. Good RMA policy and service. They also
carry OEM versions of some product lines, which can save you some money. I
just ordered parts for an AMD64 3200 system that should be here today from
MWave...I changed the order twice (added an additional SATA drive, and
changed model of video card) after placing the original order with no
problem. Good service, fast response.

Good Luck,
Fitz

Old December 17th 03, 10:55 PM
Hank

"mi mo" wrote in message
Should i mail order my custum machine parts? I will be needing everything
from the ground up.

No Sales tax would be great, and Id like to get it on its way!

Looking at the option of a p4 3.2 or AMD 64 .. amd fan!

Got any suggestions! Frys is the only big supplier I know of around

Dallas!

Mark and Mindy
Thanks

No doubt, order online, much $ can be saved and you if you chose a dealer
out of state you pay no sales tax. As said Newegg and Mwave are great places
to shop. You can check out there ratings and most any other online dearer
here. http://www.resellerratings.com/

Hank

Old December 17th 03, 11:08 PM
MikeW

The websites will give you better pricing and save you tax. Some of
the tax savings will be eaten up by shipping, but not all.

Also, the websites have a better selection then the my local stores.
However, we don't have Fry's here in Backeastland (I've been to the
one in Vegas, and sorely miss having one out here).

The websites seem to have an advantage. But you also have to consider
that there is a major convenience factor in just being able to go out,
buy the stuff, take it home, and start putting it together, all in the
same day. It's also MUCH more convenient to be able to return and
exchange stuff locally. Only you can determine how much that's worth.

For me, I have a system set up in a shopping cart on Newegg, with my
mouse cursor hovering over the 'Buy' button. Then again, the local
sources out here absolutely stink compared with Fry's. There's no
combination of stores out here were I could get everything I want, let
alone a single source, so buying local really isn't an option.

On another subject, I would downgrade your processor selection and
beef up the rest of your system to allow for overclocking. There
isn't any 64 Bit SW out there to run on the AMD 64. As far as the P4
goes, I'm planning on getting a 2.6GHz chip and overclocking it to
3.2GHz on a Asus Springdale-based mobo. Not only do you get the same
processor speed as the labeled 3.2GHz part, but you get better memory
and FSB throughput in the process.

Old December 18th 03, 01:16 AM
Heath Holden

"Got any suggestions!"

Yeah, NewEgg.com! You can't go wrong there.

Heath

Old December 18th 03, 03:24 AM

www.axion.com is located in Houston.
Old December 18th 03, 03:49 AM
Strontium

Just got a Samsung Syncmaster 1100DF, from them, today. Took one day, from
the time that the part was ordered from the correct IN-STATE supplier, for
it to get here (their Houston base). Overall, was very pleased. The
purchaser (had to go through purchasing, for this item, as they don't keep
it in stock) bent over backwards to make sure that monitor was here today
(someone ordered the monitor from the Tennessee suplier, instead). Hats
off, to Axion. Used them, once before. Still not disgruntled. Pretty good
prices, too.

-
stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 18th 03, 03:51 AM
Strontium

btw, it's www.axiontech.com

-
stood up at show-n-tell, in

Old December 18th 03, 04:51 AM
LeeB18509

And Houston is about 4 hours away....

"Strontium" wrote in message
.. .
btw, it's www.axiontech.com

-
stood up at show-n-tell, in

Old December 18th 03, 05:55 AM
Strontium

Yes, it is.

Not from me, though But, if OP knew what Google was, we would not even
be having this conversation.

-
LeeB18509 stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said: