New ASUS motherboard info

Old November 21st 14, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Motor T[_2_]

Default New ASUS motherboard info

I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I can't
find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI list of
qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it older/unreliable? Any
help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive compared to other Z97
boards. Thanks.
Old November 21st 14, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 11/21/2014 2:34 PM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I
can't find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI
list of qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it
older/unreliable? Any help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive
compared to other Z97 boards. Thanks.

I just looked on Google and found countless reviews.
Old November 21st 14, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Motor T[_2_]

On 11/21/2014 2:01 PM, Al Drake wrote:
On 11/21/2014 2:34 PM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I
can't find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI
list of qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it
older/unreliable? Any help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive
compared to other Z97 boards. Thanks.

I just looked on Google and found countless reviews.

For a Z97-E? (note the 'E'). All I get is the Newegg results and there
are NO reviews for this board.
Old November 22nd 14, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Motor T wrote:
On 11/21/2014 2:01 PM, Al Drake wrote:
On 11/21/2014 2:34 PM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I
can't find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI
list of qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it
older/unreliable? Any help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive
compared to other Z97 boards. Thanks.

I just looked on Google and found countless reviews.

For a Z97-E? (note the 'E'). All I get is the Newegg results and
there are NO reviews for this board.

Launched Oct.19, by the looks of the announcement over here. Allow one month
for 40 foot shipping container to travel from China/Taiwan, makes first product
available Nov.19 (roughly). That could account for the lack of reviews. You would
think though, that people in other parts of the world would have sampled the
board by now, and posted to the Asus forum about it. Usually a few posters get
to the forum, before the North Americans do.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

Paul
Old November 22nd 14, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:28:30 -0800, Motor T
wrote:

On 11/21/2014 2:01 PM, Al Drake wrote:
On 11/21/2014 2:34 PM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I
can't find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI
list of qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it
older/unreliable? Any help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive
compared to other Z97 boards. Thanks.

I just looked on Google and found countless reviews.

For a Z97-E? (note the 'E'). All I get is the Newegg results and there
are NO reviews for this board.

There are no reviews on any of the sites that sell this board, and
most of them have it on sale. If you want it that bad, buy it and be
the first to review it. (now I wonder why it would be on sale nearly
everywhere?)
Old November 22nd 14, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote

Motor T wrote:

I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I
can't find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a
QVI list of qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it
older/unreliable? Any help would be appreciated as it quite
inexpensive compared to other Z97 boards. Thanks.

There are no reviews on any of the sites that sell this board, and
most of them have it on sale. If you want it that bad, buy it and be
the first to review it.

Boldly go where no man has gone before!
Old November 22nd 14, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 11/21/2014 6:28 PM, Motor T wrote:
On 11/21/2014 2:01 PM, Al Drake wrote:
On 11/21/2014 2:34 PM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I
can't find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI
list of qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it
older/unreliable? Any help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive
compared to other Z97 boards. Thanks.

I just looked on Google and found countless reviews.

For a Z97-E? (note the 'E'). All I get is the Newegg results and
there are NO reviews for this board.

The best place visit is a motherboard forum. Preferably the ASUS user
forum. I have a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H which I paid about the same as the
ASUS you're looking at. ASUS and Gigabyte are at the top of the list so
the only way you could have any regrets is if one didn't have as many
features as another. I originally returned my first selection
GA-Z97X-UD3H($125) because it had less USB ports or something. I forget
now. No cost to send it back. Sometimes saving a few bucks is not always
my first priority. The long you wait for something the lower the price
drops most of the time. In the case of a good motherboard and the CPU I
bought(Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150) the price
hasn't gone down significantly. A sign of good quality I think.

You could visit the ASUS forum and ask the difference between the 'E'
and the 'A' which might help you decide.

Old November 22nd 14, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Motor T[_2_]

On 11/21/2014 11:34 AM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I can't
find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI list of
qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it older/unreliable? Any
help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive compared to other Z97
boards. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies and the link. I decided to 'go for it', based on
reputation and price. It is very much equal to the Z97-A I was going to
buy. This one $30 cheaper. Thanks again.
Old November 22nd 14, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Vasco Costa

On 22/11/2014 16:48, Motor T wrote:
Thanks for the replies and the link. I decided to 'go for it',
based on reputation and price. It is very much equal to the Z97-A I was
going to buy. This one $30 cheaper. Thanks again.

I'm also researching the market for an Asus motherboard supporting the 9
series chipset from Intel. For what it's worth, the Asus Z97-K seems to
be great value for the money, according to most reviews anyway.

In case you're not thinking about overclocking the Asus H97-PRO is a
very decent option too.

--
Vasco Costa
Old November 22nd 14, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Motor T wrote:
On 11/21/2014 11:34 AM, Motor T wrote:
I see an ASUS Z97-E motherboard on Newegg I would like to get. I can't
find any reviews for this board anywhere. Nor can I find a QVI list of
qualified memory. Is this a new board, or is it older/unreliable? Any
help would be appreciated as it quite inexpensive compared to other Z97
boards. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies and the link. I decided to 'go for it', based
on reputation and price. It is very much equal to the Z97-A I was going
to buy. This one $30 cheaper. Thanks again.

I would have bought the A version, just because VCore has two
heatsinks on it. The A also has one more PCI Express slot.

With the A, there are reviews to read. And then you can look
at the failure cases, and see if there is a common theme to them.

*******

The reason I am suddenly concerned about heatsinks, is I bought
an Asus motherboard about two months ago, it has a single cheap
heatsink on VCore... and it is burning hot to the touch when
running Prime95. I ended up fitting a cooling fan, blowing
down on VCore. And you know how hard it is to mount
cooling fans in odd places. A waste of my time,
to have to set that up, just because a decent heatpipe
cooler wasn't used in place of the flimsy single aluminum
heatsink.

The computer I'm typing this on, Asus uses a huge heatpipe
cooler (three sides), that never gets more than a couple degrees
above room temperature. Which is engineering to the other extreme
(overkill). I wish I could swap coolers between boards, but of
course they don't share common features or footprint.

Paul