How to tell DP35DP BIOS version before buying CPU?

Old July 17th 08, 06:48 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

Default How to tell DP35DP BIOS version before buying CPU?

On Sat, 3 May 2008 19:06:14 +0100, Jack D
wrote:

John Doe;941714 Wrote:
Jack D wrote:

-
Most forums and posts that I've seen regarding the DP35DP say that
the user upgraded the BIOS after installing everything. That
leads me to believe that Intel has on the boards you get an older
BIOS when the board was actually manufactured and then shipped to
the supplier. So the end user probably has an earlier version but
still should support your mentioned CPU according to the
information stated on their webpage. I have and Intel E8400 CPU
and will purchase the DP35DP board within the next few weeks to
complete my build. -

I read one review on Newegg that said it did not boot with their
CPU. That's not conclusive though, because some reviewers don't know
what they're talking about and it could have easily been some other
issue.
-
Care to share any installation /setup issues or tips using the
board with a first time builder? -

No problem

Apparently the stock heatsink can be difficult to install. Usually I
wouldn't mess with a mainboard outside of the case, but I might make
an exception. I might use a drop of silicon/Teflon lubrication on
the mainboard mounting holes. Although some people dispute the fact,
you should be well grounded while working with a mainboard.
Ordinarily the case is an excellent project holder. One reviewer (or
an author here in this group on USENET) said the boxed version of an
Intel mainboard comes with spacers on the underside between the
mainboard in the case to help prevent the mainboard from bending too
much. I would use them under the CPU, under the RAM slots, under the
expansion card slots, and maybe under the IDE connector.

As you can see, there is no floppy drive. That can be an issue if
you are installing RAID during Windows XP setup. Apparently it's no
issue with Windows Vista. One solution is to slipstream raid drivers
into Windows XP. Another might be to press F6 during the
installation, using a USB flash drive with the RAID drivers on that.

As you can see, you'll need a USB keyboard/mouse or adapters, there
are no PS/2 ports.

Have a spare system connected to the Internet during your build.
Keep your arms in contact with the case sides and don't shuffle your
feet. Don't expect the system to work within a short time frame.
Refer to the mainboard manual. Usually, putting stuff together is
not very difficult unless things go wrong. You must have patience.
Always look to see that fans are working when you press the power
button. If it doesn't power up right, hunker down and remove
everything except the bare essentials (no hard drive or CD drive,
one stick of RAM, no add-in cards except video). That's probably the
best way to build the first time, hoping to at least get into the
BIOS.

Related but not perfectly on topic. Since you will be installing one
of the recent massive/involved versions of Windows (XP or Vista),
using a disk manager to make incremental backup copies of the
operating system is a much more orderly process. When a driver or
program installation goes wrong, you just revert to a good copy and
continue. But that's mainly for people who are skilled with disk
management utilities like PartitionMagic and Disk Director. I can't
do without it.

Good luck and have fun.

--
as always, others can add information and/or make corrections

John D,
Thanks so much for your quick response and through insite.
As I begin my build I'll refer to your observations and precautions and
"have fun". I do anticipate some snags as nothing is foolproof but I
think with the help of other forums and people's experience, I'll get
through most of the potholes. Static electricity...boy, I have a lot so
a wristband is an investment I will make. I will purchase another
cpu/heatsink fan that installs easier than the stock fan and use the
Intel one for a backup. I plan on installing windows vista 32 bit OS,
no RAID, have SATA HD, SATA CD/DVD, "low key" MSI 256mb video card, USB
keyboard and mouse, real nice HP w2007 LCD monitor, Antec Solo case with
earthwatts 430w PS, not a gamer just photo editing using Adobe
Photoshop, 2x2gb Mushkin DDR2 800 1.8v RAM, (hope I can start up with
all 4gigs otherwise I'll only use one stick, try and boot up then if
all goes well install the other stick later..what do you think?)

I've updated my bios on the DP35DP from 216 to 413 using Intels linux
boot disk and flash utility and it went absolutely smooth. Didn't have
to make any new settings in the Bios and even don't load setup
defaults. Very nice.

DP35DP won't boot off of IDE HDD? berilthedwarf Intel 4 January 7th 08 08:57 AM
DP35DP [email protected] Intel 1 December 21st 07 09:37 PM
Intel DP35DP won't open BIOS [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 18 October 25th 07 10:46 PM
Intel DP35DP won't load BIOS [email protected] Intel 4 September 18th 07 10:15 PM
A8V Bios version Colonel Blip Overclocking 5 May 2nd 05 12:52 AM