Thermal pad or Thermal paste?

Old September 4th 03, 06:53 AM
Vin

Default Thermal pad or Thermal paste?

hey there,

after some excessive amount of case modding to fit 4 additional
suckholes/blowholes (3 in the side case blowing IN and 1 on top of case
blowing OUT), i've finally managed to bring my case temperatures under
control -- about 6C above the room ambient (ambient is 28C, case is 34C).
But my case to cpu temperature delta has gone out of whack! previously with
my case open and a floor fan blowing into the case, the cpu temperatures
hovered about 18C above the case/system (when idle), but now it's a shocking
24-25C above the case temperature (currently 58-59C when idle). Thus I've
decided to chuck the retail AMD HSF and get myself a Thermalright SLK700
cooler.

Now that the backgrounder is done with, my actual question: should i use
thermal paste instead of a thermal pad with my new cooler? I've read that
AMD will void your CPU warranty if you use thermal paste/grease. Also would
thermal paste require any maintenance, like removing, cleaning and reseating
the cooler every few weeks?

thanks,
vin

Old September 4th 03, 07:35 AM
Rick

"Vin" wrote in message ...
[...]

IME the chances of actually using a cpu warranty are next to nil, so I
wouldn't let that stop me from using thermal grease. You'll almost
certainly get better cooling than with a pad.

Most thermal greases don't require maintenance unless you dismount
and remount the cpu (obviously).

My $.02

Rick

Old September 4th 03, 07:52 AM
Pham

Use paste for best results. Commercial pads are said to be pretty good-
but impractical for small purchases. Go with Arctic Silver Ceramic-
best combination of performance and novice-safety.

BTW-
Some say it's bad etiquette to cross-post. Choose one group at a time.
--
Valid spambot resistant address: deanATyniDOTnet

Old September 4th 03, 10:30 AM
Alan

I agree with Rick, and I only use thermal grease. It lowers the temps
substantially.
A couple of weeks ago, I had to have a CPU replaced by AMD, they did so
without any problems. AMD is an excellent company to deal with.

Artic Silver has instructions on their site as to proper installation of
thermal grease. Minimal amount spread to the thinnest film is the secret to
best temps. I don't use Artic Silver though, rather I use some that came
with a Dr. Thermal heatsink.

Having said that, your CPU should not have risen more above the ambient temp
of the case. Did you remove the Themal material, clean the residue with
isopropol alcohol and replace it with a fresh one? I would also check your
mounting of the heatsink and the clip tension.

A rule of thumb is that with the heatsink rests at a similar temp above the
case, and 24C is too high. Look for 10C when idle and 15C under 100% use,
this will depend upon the effectiveness of your heatsink, and mounting.

Alan

Old September 4th 03, 11:35 AM
Vin

i've read the thermal paste installation instructions on the AS3 web site.
the thermal paste installation is quite detailed and helpful, but i'm quite
confused about the cleaning of the cpu core/ceramic bit (cleaning the old
heatsink doesnt apply to me, as i'm replacing my stock HSF with the
thermalright 700)

how do i safely and properly clean the thermal pad residue from the cpu
core/ceramic? i checked with my local chemist, but he doesnt have any
isopropyl alcohol with him. also it's mentioned that if i use any other
cleaning agent, i'd still need to do a final cleaning with isopropyl
alcohol -- are there any other commonly available cleaning agents that i can
use?

another thing, do you directly dab a tissue paper with a cleaning agent and
then rub away the residue from the core/ceramic of the cpu? or would a
cotton bud be preferable?

thanks,
vin

able.rogers.com...

Old September 4th 03, 12:30 PM
Joe727

"Vin" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to take a look at these Processor and Heatsink Installation
Videos available on the AMD site:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...5E6678,00.html

Joe

Old September 4th 03, 01:20 PM
Alan

First you need to scrape off the thermal material, DO NOT USE A METAL
OBJECT, as this will scratch the surface. Plastic is better, and take your
time to be very careful. You must not scratch the chip surface or the
heatsink surface.

I have Isopropyl to clean remaining residue and remove any oils, so that is
what I now use. I cut small pieces of paper towel and use them, (oil free
and doesn't leave particles)

Before that I used a very slight amount of cleaning fluid (varsol type)
which is absolutely not recommended. However I was extremely careful and
made sure there was little to no residue left. Of course this is an oil
base, so it is not perfect, but it did work.

I have read in a newsgroup of people using things like goop-off and orange
citrus stuff, I believe these are not recommended either.
Others have used nail polish remover or acetone (they are same base), I
absolutely say NO to that, acetone will melt certain resins and damage the
surface.

Hope this helps,

Alan

"Vin" wrote in message
[...]

able.rogers.com...

Old September 4th 03, 01:21 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Pham" wrote
BTW-
Some say it's bad etiquette to cross-post. Choose one group at a time.

Hi,

I used to think that also for many years, but as long as it is *on topic* I
belive crossposting is ok now!

Wayne ][

Old September 4th 03, 01:44 PM
Strontium

Sorry Wayne, my server doesn't see this one, or I've already killfiled
them...

-
Wayne Youngman stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

"Pham" wrote
BTW-
Some say it's bad etiquette to cross-post. Choose one group at a
time.

And, some say it's bad etiquette to use toilet paper. Who you choose to
listen to, is your choice SFB.

Hi,

I used to think that also for many years, but as long as it is *on
topic* I belive crossposting is ok now!

Wayne ][

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 4th 03, 02:40 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Vin" wrote in message
[...]

A dissenting opinion.
You've made significant changes to your case airflow, and achieved a
reduction in *case* temps with increased CPU temp. My first thought is that
you've mounted a fan(s) where cool air is blowing directly onto the
motherboard "case" temperature diode, while disrupting proper flow of cool
air to the HSF area. If you've managed to create a dead air area around your
CPU (quite possible if you've added a lot of inflow without adequate exhaust
near the CPU/HSF), it's your mods that have caused the CPU temp increase.
I'm offering this because you imply that you did nothing with your current
HSF while doing the case mods, correct? If that's true, there's no reason to
believe anything *but* the case mods affected the CPU temperature. If I'm
right (happens occasionally), you're going to be disappointed with the new
HSF, as no HSF can work efficiently if it's being fed hot air.

CPU thermal paste? Ablang General 47 May 3rd 04 10:09 AM
Thermal Paste Help archagon General 3 March 28th 04 05:55 AM
thermal paste PT Overclocking AMD Processors 2 December 15th 03 04:38 PM
Thermal paste - General 12 November 15th 03 09:54 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM