A baby step forward? CMOS settings...(update on HD not spinning)...

Old August 25th 03, 03:02 PM
kony

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:51:23 -0700, "lorraine"
wrote:

Okay, I confess. I tried the freezer trick on the hard drive. When I plugged
it in this morning, I an error message stating that my CMOS settings were
incorrect. This is the first time I've gotten anything but a "HDD controller
error". This is an older processor w/o auto-detect. I've looked for the CMOS
settings online and got two different sets. One is cylinders 1023
heads 256
sectors 63

The other is cylinders 16383
heads 16
sectors 63

Neither has any setting for LZone or WritePre

For some reason on the first set of values, I'm not able to enter 256, I
just get a beep and it won't accept that value.

So, I've popped the sucker back in the freezer....boy, that puppy started
getting dewy fast and then I started getting the "HDD controller error"
again. I'm considering just putting it into my processor since I do have the
auto-detect but I hate to chance screwing up my "good" computer.

Thoughts???

It won't get "dewy" if you don't let it contact outside air. You
might keep it semi-sealed in a plastic bag, which you've removed most
of the air from by sliding in a straw and sucking the rest out, taping
around the IDE and power cable, or wedge it in-between some big slabs
of foam.

Dave

Old August 25th 03, 04:32 PM
lorraine

Oh yeah, I don't know that I ever mentioned the noise this HD makes. It's
like a two toned humming. Maybe five seconds of a higher pitched hum and
five seconds of a lower pitched hum, just keeps alternating.

Old August 25th 03, 08:29 PM
Graham

Its on it way to its maker. If its under warranty return it ASAP.
If its still running get the info off it as soon as possible. If you
run the diagnostic from the HD manufacturer, do not let it 'FIX' the
drive. It will almost certainly fail shortly afterwards. As I learned
to my cost!
In short, been there, read the book.......

regards
Graham