Physical repair for IDE harddrive

Old August 20th 03, 07:09 AM
WDsux

Default Physical repair for IDE harddrive

Got a dead 7200 Western Digital drive (9 months old) I want to
get repaired. Just physically repaired. I will do the data
recovery.

It is not being recognized by the bios and makes
clicking/scratching sounds. Too far gone for software recovery
without the physical problem being repaired.

So, anybody have recommendations for a place I can take this
that will just make it work long enough so I can get my data
back then send the POS back to WD? I do not want them doing any
inspecting or data recovery, and I definitely do not want to
send it off to some lab.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy place near Minneapolis, let me
know. Or, if this is something that can be done at home, let me
know of the book or guide I need.

Old August 20th 03, 08:34 AM
Phrederik

"WDsux" wrote in message

Got a dead 7200 Western Digital drive (9 months old) I want to
get repaired. Just physically repaired. I will do the data
recovery.

It is not being recognized by the bios and makes
clicking/scratching sounds. Too far gone for software recovery
without the physical problem being repaired.

If it's making these noises, it's history. The heads will have damaged the
platters.

Even if you could get it far enough apart to mount the platters into another
drive, I doubt you could get the alignment necessary to read them.

Old August 20th 03, 02:56 PM
Mark F.

WDsux wrote in message

Got a dead 7200 Western Digital drive (9 months old) I want to
get repaired. Just physically repaired. I will do the data
recovery.

It is not being recognized by the bios and makes
clicking/scratching sounds. Too far gone for software recovery
without the physical problem being repaired.

So, anybody have recommendations for a place I can take this
that will just make it work long enough so I can get my data
back then send the POS back to WD? I do not want them doing any
inspecting or data recovery, and I definitely do not want to
send it off to some lab.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy place near Minneapolis, let me
know. Or, if this is something that can be done at home, let me
know of the book or guide I need.

I agree with Phredreik. The drive is gone. It's still under warranty so
contact Western Digital and get an RMA number. They will tell you how to
ship the drive using the RMA# and get a brand new one. WD may also have a
way to recover your data since the drive failed under warranty. It's worth a
try.

Old August 20th 03, 02:57 PM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:03:24 -0400
"anon" wrote:

Some similarities. But I suspect anyone without experience using your
suggested procedure has at the very least ruined a RW head, if not
caused more damage.

I prefer not to work in fish tanks.

Not a very clean environment btw.

If tricked out as described why would it not be a clean environment from
the viewpoint of disk repair? He's taken pains to seal it and to
collect any residual dust. Basically he's describing a home-made glove
box and glove boxes are used commercially for drive repair.

I doubt very many of the average public truly know what an "identical
disk drive" would be.

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message

"WDsux" wrote in message

Got a dead 7200 Western Digital drive (9 months old) I want to
get repaired. Just physically repaired. I will do the data
recovery.

Easy. Buy 2 identical drives. Buy a medium sized fishtank (usually
40-60 dollars), 1 set of heavy-duty black neoprene gloves, 1 sheet
of Plexiglas and nonmagnetic screwdrivers (nonmetallic if possible),
Damprid sillica

gel
packs (the one that changes color), silicone caulking (has to be
100% silicone) black electrical tape or ducttape,handi wipes (the
green or blue cotton cloth), sticky rat trap. a licensed copy of
nortons ghost.

Lay the fishtank on the side and measure the opening, with the

measurements
cut a section of Plexiglas that fits snugly across the tank. then
with a drill and cutter, cut 2 circles for the gloves to fit but
make sure the

hole
is slightly smaller. glue the outer collar flat against the
Plexiglas so

it
seals and affixes the gloves to the wholes and no air can get
through.

wipe
the insides and the Plexiglas with isopropyl alcohol and be very
careful

get most of the dust out. clean all tools and place tools,small
pliers and

collection container of choice inside, sticky rat trap and place the

damprid
silica gel packs (2 of them) inside, place the two drives (mark the
bad

one)
inside and seal the box and affix electrical tape around the whole
thing. let the whole thing sit for 5-8 days (allowing the silica gel
packs to absorb moisture, and allowing the residual dust to settle
on the sticky

rat
trap.

Take apart the bad drive removing all parts and carefully dropping
them on the collection container. try not to stir dust or move
quickly. the final step is removing the platter assembly and placing
it aside carefully. Open the good drive and remove the heads and
platter assembly and swap the original drives assembly into the new
drive. reinstall head assembly and close drive.

With the rigged drive place it as the primary master in your PC,
place the Brand new drive (remember when I said buy 2 new identical
drives) as secondary master. Boot with the Norton ghost Diskette and
image the rigged drive to the new identical drive. And there you
have it, a recovered

drive.
This is what those 600+ recovery outfits do anyways.

Maxtors/Quantums are easy to do, I am not sure about the WD and how
hard they are.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 20th 03, 03:04 PM
G. Richard Stidger

This will sound weird, but I have had very good success with one
laptop drive and limited success with another.

Put the HD in a sealed bag and put in the deep freezer for several
hours or overnight. Remove from bag and immediately try to boot or
access. Be ready to grab all the critical data if it comes to life.

Several tries may be necessary.

Let me know if you try this and it works.

Rich

Old August 20th 03, 03:29 PM
Firebird81

That's not weird. That's an old techie trick that sometimes works. Kinda
like when an old drive would get stiction and refuse to move--it couldbe
fixed by removing the drive and moving it in a figure 8 pattern.

Refrigerate the sucker and see what happens. You really have NO other
option, but data recovery and it would cost thousands likely. Gotta be dad
here--when data is that important it is VITAL to always make backups.

Old August 20th 03, 04:58 PM
anon

Data recovery does not have to cost thousands. Our quote based on your
description would be in the $600 range + the cost of an identical hard
disk drive (or you can provide an identical hard drive).
Head crashs are more difficult to overcome.

I have never seen a book that describes data recovery techniques to overcome
a head crash. That process is definitely not a do it yourself
without experience job.

Old August 20th 03, 05:39 PM
Hugo Drax

"WDsux" wrote in message

[...]

the insides and the Plexiglas with isopropyl alcohol and be very careful to
get most of the dust out. clean all tools and place tools,small pliers and a

Old August 20th 03, 06:21 PM
anon

A professional is not interested in copying your data for themselves - only
in completing a recovery in a timely professional, confidential manner.
As far as monitoring the service - not likely - I would never let you into
my office/lab.

Many VAR's (value added resellers - aka computer resellers) now attempt to
provide data recovery services. Many of them make
a mess of the job though - so a few questions are adviseable if you let a
local VAR undertake DR. If they (or you as a client) have
already made a mess of the job when the drive is evaluated the job maybe
refused. But, I am also sure there are VAR's with
experience and facilities for data recovery.

If your data is valuable to you - then treat the recovery accordingly.

"WDsux" wrote in message

Thanks, Hugo. Best advice so far. Or, at least, it didn't seem
the standard help desk/kook system-fryer advice.

I'm not concerned about paying somebody to repair it. I'm
concerned about somebody copying data, which is why I want
someone local in a lab that I can monitor. I have Ghost, etc.
for the recovery once the drive is running again.

The problem in Minneapolis is all the small repair shops seem to
have disappeared and been replaced by a few large companies that
do little more than wrap the drive up and send it away. I can
do that for free and under waranty, so why pay for the same?

It's a multi-head, multi-platter drive, so the data I want off
of it is probably still undisturbed.