A question about dual monitors

Old March 10th 05, 11:43 PM
Woodsy

Default A question about dual monitors

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:03:13 -0500, "Andy in NJ" SHORECOGS at COMCAST
DOT NET wrote:

I recently got a DVI to VGA adapter so I can run dual monitors on my ATI
Radeon card. The purpose was so I could play Medal of Honor (which runs in
full screen) and have the server monitor program that I use so I can easily
access it on the other monitor while playing MOH.

I am not a gamer, unless Quarrentine and Flight Sim count,but I do
appreciate lots of hi-res video output.
Is the radeon a one chip two ouput card? I am asking a generic
question, as I have Appian Hurricanes that have the ATI Radeon VE
processor and have found them lacking in general. Appian Jeronimo
2000's have performed flawlessly, along with an nVidea vanta,or each
other.

When I start MOH, it takes the whole screen and even though the other
monitor continues to show the desktop, I can't go to that monitor to do
anything. Is there anyway that I could have access to that desktop while my
fullscreen game is running? Running the game in a maximized window is not an
option because the top title bar cuts off the very top of the game screen
and I miss things that come up on the top lines of the screen, which are
important.

my above comments aside, the program will have to understand that it
is running on a multi monitor system, some work well, some work ok,
winamp has the best "understanding" of any program I have seen for
multi monitor, as in it will play full screen video on any monitor
attached to my system while I work on the others(with the
J2000s/vanta)

I was thinking if there was a way to use a second mouse, I have a USB mouse
lying around here. I could hook it up and move it so it's pointer is on the
other monitor. Is there a way to do that? Perhaps even restrict each mouse
to one monitor?

The above question, I cannot imagine working. Same problem with the
single/2out vs the 1 processor per output, logic of the desktop and
spanning 2 monitors vs 3 monitors as parts of the desktop. This
paragraph is the key, only understood by me from the diff in the
single/dual chip "desktop property" advanced tab settings. The radeons
had to run at the same res, the permedias allow different res/monitor
and the desktop is "in relation" to the monitor physical layout, the
radeons could not account for one monitor being "way up over there"
and others on top of the desk

Find a pci ati solution, you may find that you get the best of the ATI
drivers and the monitor layout you need (moot if program in question
does not understand multiple monitors)

for comparison...
http://www.appian.com/products/?page=hurricane
http://www.appian.com/products/?page=jero2k

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...
Old March 11th 05, 06:17 AM
CK

[...]

Most fullscreen games will "capture" the mouse, so that the mouse can be
used as a control device rather than as a pointer on the screen.

And having two mouses just means that you have two methods to control
one pointer - I used to have a dual boot DOS 6.22/Win98 system with a
Logitech mouse that worked in DOS and and optical mouse that I preferred
in Windows. It was great - it meant that I could move the mouse with my
foot while I was rolling a fag.

The only things I can think of - haven't used dual monitors myself - is
to start your monitoring program first, so that when you don't have the
use of the mouse on the desktop you can still see what's going on in
that program on the other monitor, and use Alt-Tab or some other method
to remove the control focus from MoH so that you get the mouse back.

HTH.

CK