On the brink of madness...

Old January 30th 05, 02:26 AM
Trentİ

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:57:46 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

The very first thing you should do is update the BIOS.

Many of the newer boards are manufactured with just the very basic in
features. The full use of the board comes into play with a BIOS
upgrade.

I already did. It doesn't seem to help.

Okay...then let's hit it...one step at a time...

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw

What's the IDE configuration?

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly...especially on the WD's.
Check to see what drive letters they've been given. Change the NEC to
W.

Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

So you installed NEW drivers for everything? Is there anything that
didn't work from the git go?

The problem is that the drivers will not install.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

When I run the setup program of the chipset (supplied by Intel) I get the
error message that no Intel chipset is found on my pc. It then fails to
install any component. Even manual installation of the .inf files by using
the -a -a switch on the setup program, and then forcing the computer to
accept from me it has hardware that needs these drivers, results in no shown
components in the Device Manager after reboot. They just won't install.

I don't know yer level of expertise...and I'm not there...so...

Are you sure of what you have on the board?...what brand it REALLY is,
etc. Run AIDA32...so that you have the current specs on all the
hardware. Do a report and save it.

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

Do you have on-board video?...an add-on card?...or both.

Also, try doing a 'new hardware' search.

What is going on? And more importantly, what can I do about it?

Let's try to solve your MAJOR problems first...then we can hit the
annoyances. What ISN'T working? Video, I'm guessing. What else?

Did you install the drivers for your monitor? Sometimes that'll bring
the video card into sync.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice one...

Trentİ

Old January 30th 05, 03:07 AM
I.C. Koets

"Shepİ" wrote:

Many of the newer boards are manufactured with just the very basic in
features. The full use of the board comes into play with a BIOS
upgrade.

I already did. It doesn't seem to help.

The win98 Install was corrupted.

How can you tell? It shows no other signs of corruption, and the System File
Checker gives no problems.

Do a correct,"Over-install/Repair" as
per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html

I'll keep it in mind though!

I the problem continues look to a faulty RAM stick.

Motherboard tests RAM as OK. Never had any errors with it.

Don't! use software
ram programs that you can download off the net as they are
useless.

No problem.

Just take a stick out and use the other and vice versa even in
different slots.

I tried, so far no luck.

Also suspect the actual Win98 CD being damaged or having finger prints
on it.You can clean it in the sink with a bit of washing up liquid and
luke warm water and then dry off with some lint free tissue.

I always kept it clean, it isn't damaged and doesn't give read errors. I
will try cleaning it and using another copy if the need to reinstall
manifests itself.

Thank you.
Old January 30th 05, 03:23 AM
I.C. Koets

"Trentİ" wrote:
Okay...then let's hit it...one step at a time...

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw

What's the IDE configuration?

One WD1600 SATA on SATA1, on IDE1 I have my WD 2000 as master and the
optical drive as slave. My motherboard is set to pretend the SATA disk is
the secondary master.

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly...especially on the WD's.

Checked. In order, and swapping them around doesn't improve anything.

Check to see what drive letters they've been given. Change the NEC to
W.

Done. But why?

Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

So you installed NEW drivers for everything? Is there anything that
didn't work from the git go?

I first tried to see if Windows came up with working PnP drivers. It didn't.
Then I installed the drivers from the disks I got with the components. That
gave me no results, as I described in the initial post. Then I downloaded
the latest W98se drivers (getting scarce!) with no extra luck.

The problem is that the drivers will not install.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

Videocard is not detected and only displays VGA,
no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)
network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers
TV card not detected, drivers also won't install

Rather annoying, all in all.

When I run the setup program of the chipset (supplied by Intel) I get the
error message that no Intel chipset is found on my pc. It then fails to
install any component. Even manual installation of the .inf files by using
the -a -a switch on the setup program, and then forcing the computer to
accept from me it has hardware that needs these drivers, results in no shown
components in the Device Manager after reboot. They just won't install.

I don't know yer level of expertise...and I'm not there...so...

My expertise is mottled. I have some knowledge interspersed with vast areas
of ignorance. I'm the kind of guy that tinkers with other peoples broken
computers and fixes them without any actual knowledge beforehand. I try to
get a clue while doing it.

Are you sure of what you have on the board?...what brand it REALLY is,
etc. Run AIDA32...so that you have the current specs on all the
hardware. Do a report and save it.

Done! (Nice program, by the way.) It doesn't give me a lot of extra
information. It identifies my video card as Generic VGA, for instance. Not
highly inspiring. The report is 182 KB, so I won't post it right now.

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

Do you have on-board video?...an add-on card?...or both.

No onboard video, but 1 add-on PCIx card.

Also, try doing a 'new hardware' search.

I must have done that a zillion times now. Everytime I changed a jumper,
swapped my RAM around in the slots, changed a single BIOS setting... Never
any joy.

What is going on? And more importantly, what can I do about it?

Let's try to solve your MAJOR problems first...then we can hit the
annoyances. What ISN'T working? Video, I'm guessing. What else?

Video. Sound. TV card (secondary importance!). I haven't even tried USB yet,
if only because W98se doesn't have a great reputation hanbdling it. Once I
get the sound & video going, I'll be a lot happier.

Did you install the drivers for your monitor? Sometimes that'll bring
the video card into sync.

Windows keeps on putting a PnP monitor over the driver I select. Very
annoying.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice one...

Thanks.
Old January 30th 05, 01:28 PM
Trentİ

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:23:45 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

Check to see what drive letters they've been given. Change the NEC to
W.

Done. But why?

Because Windows will (most times) change drive letters on you if you
add or subtract a device. With what you now wrote...in your
particular case...this doesn't seem to be any particular problem for
you. But if you add a camera...or jump drive...etc., drive letters
will probably change...and can really muddle things up. Putting
non-IDE devices at the end of the alphabet gives Window room to add or
subtract letters...which it always does at the frontside.

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

So you installed NEW drivers for everything? Is there anything that
didn't work from the git go?

I first tried to see if Windows came up with working PnP drivers. It didn't.
Then I installed the drivers from the disks I got with the components.

From my past experience, you shouldn't need to do that. When you put
in the CD, it should give you a menu...and allow you to install
drivers for the chipset, sound, LAN, etc. If you didn't get that, I'd
say that 98 probably won't run on that board.

That
gave me no results, as I described in the initial post. Then I downloaded
the latest W98se drivers (getting scarce!) with no extra luck.

Did you try puttin' them on a floppy...delete the hardware...then
reboot? When Windows tries to install that new device, point it to
the floppy's drivers.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

Videocard is not detected and only displays VGA,

What model card? Can 98 support that version of AGP? Got any old 1
or 2 cards sittin' around that you can try?

no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)

I didn't read the mainboard site in depth. But I kinda remember
reading that that onboard sound isn't supported in 98. Where did you
get the drivers? Are there 98 drivers on that CD? If not, its
probably not supported.

network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers

That's a chipset install feature again. Sounds like 98 doesn't
support most of that board.

TV card not detected, drivers also won't install

Startin' to see the pattern? lol

Rather annoying, all in all.

Yeah...been there, done that!

Are you sure of what you have on the board?...what brand it REALLY is,
etc. Run AIDA32...so that you have the current specs on all the
hardware. Do a report and save it.

Done! (Nice program, by the way.) It doesn't give me a lot of extra
information. It identifies my video card as Generic VGA, for instance. Not
highly inspiring. The report is 182 KB, so I won't post it right now.

Print out the text and post it within your message if you want. Just
don't include it as an attachment...or somebody'll jump all over your
ass! lol

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

Do you have on-board video?...an add-on card?...or both.

No onboard video, but 1 add-on PCIx card.

Give us the card model. Maybe we can help find some drivers for it.
I'm guessing its either 4x or 8x.

Let's try to solve your MAJOR problems first...then we can hit the
annoyances. What ISN'T working? Video, I'm guessing. What else?

Video. Sound. TV card (secondary importance!). I haven't even tried USB yet,
if only because W98se doesn't have a great reputation hanbdling it. Once I
get the sound & video going, I'll be a lot happier.

Yup...these are all driver issues.

If you give us the make and model of all yer cards, we can try to help
you get the proper drivers...and hunt for tricks. But we may just be
spinning our wheels.

Havin' fun yet?! lol

Let us know...good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trentİ

Old January 30th 05, 07:25 PM
I.C. Koets

"Trentİ" wrote:

Check to see what drive letters they've been given. Change the NEC to
W.

Done. But why?

Because Windows will (most times) change drive letters on you if you
add or subtract a device. With what you now wrote...in your
particular case...this doesn't seem to be any particular problem for
you. But if you add a camera...or jump drive...etc., drive letters
will probably change...and can really muddle things up. Putting
non-IDE devices at the end of the alphabet gives Window room to add or
subtract letters...which it always does at the frontside.

OK. Not a bad idea then.

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

So you installed NEW drivers for everything? Is there anything that
didn't work from the git go?

I first tried to see if Windows came up with working PnP drivers. It didn't.
Then I installed the drivers from the disks I got with the components.

From my past experience, you shouldn't need to do that. When you put
in the CD, it should give you a menu...and allow you to install
drivers for the chipset, sound, LAN, etc. If you didn't get that, I'd
say that 98 probably won't run on that board.

It does give me a menu, then starts Installshield, then gives me the
message that the chipset/video card/TV card is not found on my PC and
aborts.

That
gave me no results, as I described in the initial post. Then I downloaded
the latest W98se drivers (getting scarce!) with no extra luck.

Did you try puttin' them on a floppy...delete the hardware...then
reboot? When Windows tries to install that new device, point it to
the floppy's drivers.

Not a floppy, but a harddisk directory. If I then force Windows to use 'my'
drivers, it warns me that they are *not* written for my hardware in the case
of the video card, or it just says I should press 'Finish' and does not
install the driver in case of the chipset.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

Videocard is not detected and only displays VGA,

What model card? Can 98 support that version of AGP? Got any old 1
or 2 cards sittin' around that you can try?

It's my only card. It isn't AGP, but PCI Express. It has W98 drivers, so
logically I'd expect it to work. The card is an Nvidia GeForce 6200 (Club3D)

no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)

I didn't read the mainboard site in depth. But I kinda remember
reading that that onboard sound isn't supported in 98. Where did you
get the drivers? Are there 98 drivers on that CD? If not, its
probably not supported.

Well, yes and no. It doesn't give you many drivers, but it does have
instructions squirreled away on how to install the 98 .inf files.

network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers

That's a chipset install feature again. Sounds like 98 doesn't
support most of that board.

Yes, but I think it's weird, because the BIOS has W98 compatibility
settings, and the box claims W98 compatibility.

TV card not detected, drivers also won't install

Startin' to see the pattern? lol

Yes, unfortunately.

Rather annoying, all in all.

Yeah...been there, done that!

Me too, but normally I find it easier to fix.
I don't like to be forced onto another OS, because I can tweak 98se to do
what I want it to. I've never had any luck tweaking XP and I am completely
lost when it comes to *nix.

Are you sure of what you have on the board?...what brand it REALLY is,
etc. Run AIDA32...so that you have the current specs on all the
hardware. Do a report and save it.

Done! (Nice program, by the way.) It doesn't give me a lot of extra
information. It identifies my video card as Generic VGA, for instance. Not
highly inspiring. The report is 182 KB, so I won't post it right now.

Print out the text and post it within your message if you want. Just
don't include it as an attachment...or somebody'll jump all over your
ass! lol

Well, here you go: It's at the end of my post.

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

Do you have on-board video?...an add-on card?...or both.

No onboard video, but 1 add-on PCIx card.

Give us the card model. Maybe we can help find some drivers for it.
I'm guessing its either 4x or 8x.

Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI Express. Drivers I already have.

Let's try to solve your MAJOR problems first...then we can hit the
annoyances. What ISN'T working? Video, I'm guessing. What else?

Video. Sound. TV card (secondary importance!). I haven't even tried USB yet,
if only because W98se doesn't have a great reputation hanbdling it. Once I
get the sound & video going, I'll be a lot happier.

Yup...these are all driver issues.

If you give us the make and model of all yer cards, we can try to help
you get the proper drivers...and hunt for tricks. But we may just be
spinning our wheels.

I have correct drivers already. It is the system that doesn't accept them.

Havin' fun yet?! lol

No!

Here's the report:

--------[ AIDA32 (c) 1995-2004 Tamas Miklos
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version AIDA32 v3.93
Author
Homepage
http://www.aida32.hu
Report Type Quick Report
Computer DUMPSTER
Generator Argusoog
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
SE 4.10.2222A (Win98 SE)
Date 2005-01-30
Time 02:54

--------[ Summary
]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
SE
OS Service Pack None
Internet Explorer 5.00.2614.3500 (IE
5.0 - Windows 98 SE)
Computer Name DUMPSTER
User Name Argusoog

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E,
3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale
i915
System Memory 512 MB
BIOS Type AMI (09/27/04)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port
(LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Standard Display
Adapter (VGA)
Monitor Plug and Play
Monitor [NoDB]

Storage:
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY
DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK
TYPE47
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK
TYPE80
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW
ND-3500AG

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 11441 MB (10986 MB
free)
D: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9529 MB
free)
E: (FAT32) 51500 MB (50514 MB
free)
F: (FAT32) 25747 MB (25747 MB
free)
G: (FAT32) 25732 MB (25732 MB
free)
H: (FAT32) 28601 MB (21407 MB
free)
I: (FAT32) 23834 MB (15969 MB
free)
J: (FAT32) 59115 MB (2595 MB
free)
K: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9529 MB
free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse Standard PS/2 Port
Mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address 172.20.64.115
Primary MAC Address 00-11-D8-06-CD-8A
Network Adapter NDIS2 Driver for DOS
v7.03 (20040615) (172.20.64.115)
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is
only 4% on drive J:.

--------[ DMI
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
Vendor American Megatrends
Inc.
Version 1006.005
Release Date 09/27/2004
Size 512 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard
Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow
BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI,
ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, AGP, USB

[ System ]

System Properties:
Manufacturer To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
Product To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
Version To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
Serial Number To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
Universal Unique ID
88CD34B1-623BD911-88B5113E-7105F1EB
Wake-Up Type PCI PME#

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer
INC.
Product P5GD1
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:
Manufacturer Chassis Manufacture
Version Chassis Version
Serial Number Chassis Serial
Number
Asset Tag Asset-1234567890
Chassis Type Desktop Case
Chassis Lock Present
Boot-Up State Safe
Power Supply State Safe
Thermal State Safe
Security Status None

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method None
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns, 50ns
Supported Memory Types SIMM, DIMM, SDRAM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MB
Memory Slots 4

[ Processors / Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz ]

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel
Version Intel(R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 3.00GHz
Serial Number To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
Asset Tag To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
Part Number To Be Filled By
O.E.M.
External Clock 200 MHz
Maximum Clock 3600 MHz
Current Clock 3000 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 1.3 V
Status Enabled
Socket Designation Socket 775

[ Caches / L1-Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Varies with Memory
Address
Associativity 4-way
Set-Associative
Maximum Size 16 KB
Installed Size 16 KB
Supported SRAM Type Pipeline Burst
Current SRAM Type Pipeline Burst
Error Correction Single-bit ECC
Socket Designation L1-Cache

[ Caches / L2-Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Varies with Memory
Address
Associativity 4-way
Set-Associative
Maximum Size 1024 KB
Installed Size 1024 KB
Supported SRAM Type Pipeline Burst
Current SRAM Type Pipeline Burst
Error Correction Single-bit ECC
Socket Designation L2-Cache

[ Caches / L3-Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Disabled
Maximum Size 0 KB
Installed Size 0 KB
Socket Designation L3-Cache

[ Memory Modules / DIMM0 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation DIMM0
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Speed 50 ns
Installed Size 256 MB
Enabled Size 256 MB

[ Memory Modules / DIMM1 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation DIMM1
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Modules / DIMM2 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation DIMM2
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Speed 50 ns
Installed Size 256 MB
Enabled Size 256 MB

[ Memory Modules / DIMM3 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation DIMM3
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Devices / DIMM0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM0
Bank Locator BANK0
Manufacturer Manufacturer0
Serial Number SerNum0
Asset Tag AssetTagNum0
Part Number PartNum0

[ Memory Devices / DIMM1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Device Locator DIMM1
Bank Locator BANK1
Manufacturer Manufacturer1
Serial Number SerNum1
Asset Tag AssetTagNum1
Part Number PartNum1

[ Memory Devices / DIMM2 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM2
Bank Locator BANK2
Manufacturer Manufacturer2
Serial Number SerNum2
Asset Tag AssetTagNum2
Part Number PartNum2

[ Memory Devices / DIMM3 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Device Locator DIMM3
Bank Locator BANK3
Manufacturer Manufacturer3
Serial Number SerNum3
Asset Tag AssetTagNum3
Part Number PartNum3

[ System Slots / PCIEX16 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCIEX16
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ System Slots / PCI_1 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI_1
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ System Slots / PCI_2 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI_2
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ System Slots / PCI_3 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI_3
Type PCI
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ System Slots / PCIEX1_1 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCIEX1_1
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ System Slots / PCIEX1_2 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCIEX1_2
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ System Slots / PCIEX1_3 ]

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCIEX1_3
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

[ Port Connectors / PS/2 Mouse ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Mouse Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator PS/2 Mouse
External Connector Type PS/2

[ Port Connectors / PS/2 Keyboard ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Keyboard Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator PS/2 Keyboard
External Connector Type PS/2

[ Port Connectors / USB1 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB1
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB2 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB2
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB3 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB3
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB4 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB4
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB5 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB5
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB6 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB6
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB7 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB7
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / USB8 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB8
External Connector Type USB

[ Port Connectors / LPT 1 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Parallel Port
ECP/EPP
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator LPT 1
External Connector Type DB-25 pin male

[ Port Connectors / COM 1 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Serial Port 16550A
Compatible
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator COM 1
External Connector Type DB-9 pin male

[ Port Connectors / COM 2 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Serial Port 16550A
Compatible
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator COM 2
External Connector Type DB-9 pin male

[ Port Connectors / MIDI ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type MIDI Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator MIDI
External Connector Type DB-15 pin female

[ Port Connectors / Joy Stick ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Joystick Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Joy Stick
External Connector Type DB-15 pin female

[ Port Connectors / Audio Mic In ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Audio Mic In
External Connector Type Mini-jack
(headphones)

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line In ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Audio Line In
External Connector Type Mini-jack
(headphones)

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line Out1 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Audio Line Out1
External Connector Type Mini-jack
(headphones)

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line Out2 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Audio Line Out2
External Connector Type Mini-jack
(headphones)

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line Out3 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Audio Line Out3
External Connector Type Mini-jack
(headphones)

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line Out4 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Audio Line Out4
External Connector Type Mini-jack
(headphones)

[ Port Connectors / SPDIF_OUT1 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator SPDIF_OUT1
External Connector Type On-Board Sound Input
from CD-ROM

[ Port Connectors / SPDIF_OUT2 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator SPDIF_OUT2
External Connector Type On-Board Sound Input
from CD-ROM

[ Port Connectors / LAN ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Network Port
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator LAN
External Connector Type RJ-45

[ Port Connectors / ITE_IDE ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator ITE_IDE
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / ITE_IDE ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator ITE_IDE
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / SB_IDE ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator SB_IDE
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / SB_SATA1 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator SB_SATA1
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / SB_SATA2 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator SB_SATA2
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / SB_SATA3 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator SB_SATA3
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / SB_SATA4 ]

Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator SB_SATA4
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None

[ Port Connectors / CD ]

Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator CD
Internal Connector Type On-Board Sound Input
from CD-ROM
External Connector Type None

[ On-Board Devices / Onboard Ethernet ]

On-Board Device Properties:
Description Onboard Ethernet

--------[ Sensor
]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83637HF
Sensor Access ISA 290h

Temperatures:
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 48 °C (118 °F)
Aux 35 °C (95 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 1918 RPM
Chassis 2538 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 2.61 V
CPU Aux 3.55 V
+3.3 V 3.38 V
+5 V 5.64 V
-12 V 1.46 V
-5 V 1.94 V
+5 V Standby 5.12 V
VBAT Battery 2.10 V
Debug Info A3 DE D3 D2 FF C7 C0
25 B0 85 FF E7 (03)

--------[ CPU
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E,
3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping D0
Original Clock 3000 MHz
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ATC,
Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
Transistors 125 million
Process Technology 7M, 0.09 um, CMOS,
Cu, Low-K
Die Size 112 mm2
Core Voltage 1.385 V
I/O Voltage 1.385 V

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information
http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 100 %

--------[ CPUID
]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPUID Properties:
CPUID Manufacturer GenuineIntel
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPUID Revision 0F34h
IA Brand ID 00h (Unknown)
Platform ID 13h (Unknown)
IA CPU Serial Number Unknown

Instruction Set:
AMD 3DNow! Not Supported
AMD 3DNow! Professional Not Supported
AMD Enhanced 3DNow! Not Supported
AMD Extended MMX Not Supported
AMD64 Not Supported
Cyrix Extended MMX Not Supported
IA-64 Not Supported
IA MMX Supported
IA SSE Supported
IA SSE 2 Supported
IA SSE 3 Supported
CLFLUSH Instruction Supported
CMPXCHG8B Instruction Supported
CMPXCHG16B Instruction Not Supported
Conditional Move Instruction Supported
FEMMS Instruction Not Supported
MONITOR / MWAIT Instruction Supported

CPUID Features:
36-bit Page Size Extension Supported
Advanced Cryptography Engine Not Supported
Alternate Instruction Set Not Supported
Automatic Clock Control Supported
CPL Qualified Debug Store Supported
Debug Trace Store Supported
Debugging Extension Supported
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology Not Supported
Fast Save & Restore Supported
Fast System Call Supported
Hyper-Threading Technology Supported
L1 Context ID Supported
Local APIC On Chip Supported
LongRun Not Supported
LongRun Table Interface Not Supported
Machine-Check Architecture Supported
Machine-Check Exception Supported
Memory Type Range Registers Supported
Model Specific Registers Supported
No-Execute Page Protection Not Supported
Page Attribute Table Supported
Page Global Extension Supported
Page Size Extension Supported
Pending Break Event Supported
Physical Address Extension Supported
Processor Duty Cycle Control Supported
Processor Serial Number Not Supported
Random Number Generator Not Supported
Self-Snoop Supported
Thermal Monitor Supported
Thermal Monitor 2 Not Supported
Time Stamp Counter Supported
Virtual Mode Extension Supported

Enhanced Power Management:
Frequency ID Control Not Supported
Software Thermal Control Not Supported
Temperature Sensing Diode Not Supported
Thermal Monitoring Not Supported
Thermal Trip Not Supported
Voltage ID Control Not Supported

CPUID Registers:
CPUID 00000000
00000003-756E6547-6C65746E-49656E69
CPUID 00000001
00000F34-00020800-0000441D-BFEBFBFF
CPUID 00000002
605B5001-00000000-00000000-007C7040
CPUID 00000003
00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000
CPUID 80000000
80000008-00000000-00000000-00000000
CPUID 80000001
00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000
CPUID 80000002
20202020-20202020-20202020-6E492020
CPUID 80000003
286C6574-50202952-69746E65-52286D75
CPUID 80000004
20342029-20555043-30302E33-007A4847
CPUID 80000005
00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000
CPUID 80000006
00000000-00000000-04006040-00000000
CPUID 80000007
00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000
CPUID 80000008
00002024-00000000-00000000-00000000
MSR 00000017 0012-0000-0000-0000
MSR 0000002C 0000-0000-0F12-010F

========Message Truncated========
Old January 31st 05, 05:36 AM
Trentİ

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:25:55 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

[...]

Does it show ANY card in Device Manager? If it does, disable (check)
it and reboot. See if it'll then give you the option to install
another.

no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)

I didn't read the mainboard site in depth. But I kinda remember
reading that that onboard sound isn't supported in 98. Where did you
get the drivers? Are there 98 drivers on that CD? If not, its
probably not supported.

Well, yes and no. It doesn't give you many drivers, but it does have
instructions squirreled away on how to install the 98 .inf files.

Same thing here. See if anything is in DM. If so, try disabling it.

network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers

That's a chipset install feature again. Sounds like 98 doesn't
support most of that board.

Yes, but I think it's weird, because the BIOS has W98 compatibility
settings, and the box claims W98 compatibility.

Search for drivers for the Realtek chip. I haven't tried to install
any on a 98 system...but I would think it'd be difficult to find
working Gigabit drivers for 98.

TV card not detected, drivers also won't install

Startin' to see the pattern? lol

Yes, unfortunately.

You may be beating a dead horse here! lol

Rather annoying, all in all.

Yeah...been there, done that!

Me too, but normally I find it easier to fix.

Yeah...but this is a pretty high-tech board. I really think you'd get
the optimum performance out of it with a different OS.

I don't like to be forced onto another OS, because I can tweak 98se to do
what I want it to. I've never had any luck tweaking XP and I am completely
lost when it comes to *nix.

XP...pre-sp2...isn't bad. But I still find w2k more reliable and
responsive.

Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI Express. Drivers I already have.

I'll try to nose around tomorrow.

If you give us the make and model of all yer cards, we can try to help
you get the proper drivers...and hunt for tricks. But we may just be
spinning our wheels.

I have correct drivers already. It is the system that doesn't accept them.

The SYSTEM is Windows 98! lol

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 11441 MB (10986 MB
free)
D: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9529 MB
free)
E: (FAT32) 51500 MB (50514 MB
free)
F: (FAT32) 25747 MB (25747 MB
free)
G: (FAT32) 25732 MB (25732 MB
free)
H: (FAT32) 28601 MB (21407 MB
free)
I: (FAT32) 23834 MB (15969 MB
free)
J: (FAT32) 59115 MB (2595 MB
free)
K: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9529 MB
free)

Don't forget the 2 gig file limit on 32...if yer gonna rip any DVD's.

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer
INC.
Product P5GD1
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

This might not be a bad time to give them a call.

It's late...I'll look at the rest tomorrow. But I didn't see anything
unusual.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trentİ

Old January 31st 05, 06:01 AM
I.C. Koets

"Trentİ" wrote:

What model card? Can 98 support that version of AGP? Got any old 1
or 2 cards sittin' around that you can try?

It's my only card. It isn't AGP, but PCI Express. It has W98 drivers, so
logically I'd expect it to work. The card is an Nvidia GeForce 6200 (Club3D)

Does it show ANY card in Device Manager? If it does, disable (check)
it and reboot. See if it'll then give you the option to install
another.

Tried that. It only accepts Generic VGA as a card. Otherwise it shows
nothing.

no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)

I didn't read the mainboard site in depth. But I kinda remember
reading that that onboard sound isn't supported in 98. Where did you
get the drivers? Are there 98 drivers on that CD? If not, its
probably not supported.

Well, yes and no. It doesn't give you many drivers, but it does have
instructions squirreled away on how to install the 98 .inf files.

Same thing here. See if anything is in DM. If so, try disabling it.

Tried, but on reboot all it does is PnP the old, wrong stuff back.

network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers

That's a chipset install feature again. Sounds like 98 doesn't
support most of that board.

Yes, but I think it's weird, because the BIOS has W98 compatibility
settings, and the box claims W98 compatibility.

Search for drivers for the Realtek chip. I haven't tried to install
any on a 98 system...but I would think it'd be difficult to find
working Gigabit drivers for 98.

The Ethernet runs! with a DOS driver, no less! The Realtek sound works on
the Realtek driver, but only until I reboot...

Rather annoying, all in all.

Yeah...been there, done that!

Me too, but normally I find it easier to fix.

Yeah...but this is a pretty high-tech board. I really think you'd get
the optimum performance out of it with a different OS.

That might be true, but I have a lot of old software that I can't really
afford to lose. My previous experiences with XP weren't very heartening in
that department, and I understand W2k is even worse.

I don't like to be forced onto another OS, because I can tweak 98se to do
what I want it to. I've never had any luck tweaking XP and I am completely
lost when it comes to *nix.

XP...pre-sp2...isn't bad. But I still find w2k more reliable and
responsive.

Really? Microsoft says otherwise, themselves. But they are the ones pushing
it, of course. Any particular W2k version I should be considering?

Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI Express. Drivers I already have.

I'll try to nose around tomorrow.

That would be great.

If you give us the make and model of all yer cards, we can try to help
you get the proper drivers...and hunt for tricks. But we may just be
spinning our wheels.

I have correct drivers already. It is the system that doesn't accept them.

The SYSTEM is Windows 98! lol

Yes, I know, I know. I want to twist its arm until stuff starts working.
That is my usual tactic.

[...]

Did that 3 weeks ago. They haven't touched my questions yet. The support
monitoring site tells me my question has been given top priority, since it
has had to wait for more than 48 hours. Go figure.

It's late...I'll look at the rest tomorrow. But I didn't see anything
unusual.

Good luck.

Thanks again.
Old January 31st 05, 02:44 PM
Trentİ

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:01:21 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

Does it show ANY card in Device Manager? If it does, disable (check)
it and reboot. See if it'll then give you the option to install
another.

Tried that. It only accepts Generic VGA as a card. Otherwise it shows
nothing.

Yer pretty computer savy...so I'd guess you tried safe mode, too.
Sometimes not much can be done in safe mode.

Same thing here. See if anything is in DM. If so, try disabling it.

Tried, but on reboot all it does is PnP the old, wrong stuff back.

Try to find out what drivers its usin'...if they're not generic...and
rename them...with a _ at the end. Maybe you can trick it!! lol

Search for drivers for the Realtek chip. I haven't tried to install
any on a 98 system...but I would think it'd be difficult to find
working Gigabit drivers for 98.

The Ethernet runs! with a DOS driver, no less! The Realtek sound works on
the Realtek driver, but only until I reboot...

Weird!

Yeah...but this is a pretty high-tech board. I really think you'd get
the optimum performance out of it with a different OS.

That might be true, but I have a lot of old software that I can't really
afford to lose. My previous experiences with XP weren't very heartening in
that department, and I understand W2k is even worse.

You could always set it up to dual boot.

XP...pre-sp2...isn't bad. But I still find w2k more reliable and
responsive.

Really? Microsoft says otherwise, themselves. But they are the ones pushing
it, of course. Any particular W2k version I should be considering?

Just simply SP4. XP has a lot more fluff than w2k...and is geared
more toward the average consumer. W2k has less fluff...but can close
out services easier when you get in a jam, etc.

XP won't really run well (LOTS of bugs!) unless you install sp2. Then
you get a NEW set of bugs! Welcome to the world of Microsoft.

I run sp1 on my machines...but I install and promote sp2 for my
clients...'cause I need the business!! lol

The SYSTEM is Windows 98! lol

Yes, I know, I know. I want to twist its arm until stuff starts working.
That is my usual tactic.

Just for grins...try loading some w2k drivers. Chances are they won't
install...buy ya never know about computers!

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer
INC.
Product P5GD1
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

This might not be a bad time to give them a call.

Did that 3 weeks ago. They haven't touched my questions yet. The support
monitoring site tells me my question has been given top priority, since it
has had to wait for more than 48 hours. Go figure.

This might be the time to quit being polite. lol

Call again...get a NAME...make him/her the contact person...call every
day.

On the video card...shot in the dark, but...

Get a cheap PCI card and install it. At least it'll get you away from
that generic VGA. Then maybe the good one might install.

I know...sounds dumb! lol

I think I'm kinda burned out. There's not really much more I can do
for ya. Yer kinda on yer own...as you know. I'll be glad to help
with any more specific questions you might have. But yer simply gonna
hafta try things trial-n-error.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

Have a nice one...

Trentİ

Old January 31st 05, 11:49 PM
I.C. Koets

"Trentİ" wrote:

Does it show ANY card in Device Manager? If it does, disable (check)
it and reboot. See if it'll then give you the option to install
another.

Tried that. It only accepts Generic VGA as a card. Otherwise it shows
nothing.

Yer pretty computer savy...so I'd guess you tried safe mode, too.
Sometimes not much can be done in safe mode.

Safe mode does nothing extra, outside of not making my sound vanish. My
sound driver magically disappears upon booting in normal mode.

Same thing here. See if anything is in DM. If so, try disabling it.

Tried, but on reboot all it does is PnP the old, wrong stuff back.

Try to find out what drivers its usin'...if they're not generic...and
rename them...with a _ at the end. Maybe you can trick it!! lol

It seems to be using the generic driver. When I disable it, I get no picture
after boot. Then I drop into safe mode on reboot.

Search for drivers for the Realtek chip. I haven't tried to install
any on a 98 system...but I would think it'd be difficult to find
working Gigabit drivers for 98.

The Ethernet runs! with a DOS driver, no less! The Realtek sound works on
the Realtek driver, but only until I reboot...

Weird!

Tell me about it. I don't even understand the mechanics of why it does what
it does.

Yeah...but this is a pretty high-tech board. I really think you'd get
the optimum performance out of it with a different OS.

That might be true, but I have a lot of old software that I can't really
afford to lose. My previous experiences with XP weren't very heartening in
that department, and I understand W2k is even worse.

You could always set it up to dual boot.

Yeah, I'm considering a W2000/Linux dual system.

XP...pre-sp2...isn't bad. But I still find w2k more reliable and
responsive.

Really? Microsoft says otherwise, themselves. But they are the ones pushing
it, of course. Any particular W2k version I should be considering?

Just simply SP4. XP has a lot more fluff than w2k...and is geared
more toward the average consumer. W2k has less fluff...but can close
out services easier when you get in a jam, etc.

XP won't really run well (LOTS of bugs!) unless you install sp2. Then
you get a NEW set of bugs! Welcome to the world of Microsoft.

From the pan into the fire, I believe that's called.

I run sp1 on my machines...but I install and promote sp2 for my
clients...'cause I need the business!! lol

People tend to break everything anyway, so even if you gave them something
rock-solid you'd still have plenty to do.

The SYSTEM is Windows 98! lol

Yes, I know, I know. I want to twist its arm until stuff starts working.
That is my usual tactic.

Just for grins...try loading some w2k drivers. Chances are they won't
install...buy ya never know about computers!

I tried that just now. It's tricky, becaue they are 'signed', whatever is
meant by that, for 2000, but after install they give exactly the same
problem. Was worth a try, though. I wonder what would have happened if they
tried functioning.

This might not be a bad time to give them a call.

Did that 3 weeks ago. They haven't touched my questions yet. The support
monitoring site tells me my question has been given top priority, since it
has had to wait for more than 48 hours. Go figure.

This might be the time to quit being polite. lol

Call again...get a NAME...make him/her the contact person...call every
day.

Tricky. I'm in the Netherlands, all we have here is an importer that is no
help at all, and their global help center is in Taiwan of all places. Too
much hassle, too expensive...

On the video card...shot in the dark, but...

Get a cheap PCI card and install it. At least it'll get you away from
that generic VGA. Then maybe the good one might install.

I know...sounds dumb! lol

I'll give it a go.

I think I'm kinda burned out. There's not really much more I can do
for ya. Yer kinda on yer own...as you know. I'll be glad to help
with any more specific questions you might have. But yer simply gonna
hafta try things trial-n-error.

Well, I'm on the end of my tether also. I really appreciate your help, but I
guess I'll have to start getting used to a new OS.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

Sure.