Upgrading CPU from 133 to 300 MHz, what are multiplier, system speed?

Old February 3rd 04, 01:40 PM
Tibur Waltson

Default Upgrading CPU from 133 to 300 MHz, what are multiplier, system speed?

How do we determine the multiplier? I have installed an AMD K6-
300 MHz from a 2256 presario into a 5304 presario- 133 MHz.
When I go to turn the computer on - nothing happens, just a blank
screen, except for a blinking cursor. I've located most of the infor-
mation but unsure about two things. How do we determine the
multiplier and system speed: SDRAM, CPU or PCI? Here, take a
look at this jumpers and switches table and see if you can help me.

http://tinyurl.com/2zyvx

One person claimed to have secessfully installed a K6-2-450AFX
into 5304 presario. See bottom.

CPU Technical data:
Processor model K6-2-300AFR
Core Voltage = 2.2V (2.1V~2.3V)
Core Voltage Upper Limit = 2.5V
I/O Voltage = 3.3V (3.135V~3.6V)
I/O Voltage Upper Limit = 3.6V
Maximum Core Amperage = 8.45A
Maximum I/O Amperage = 0.56A
Typical Power Dissipation = 10.35W
Maximum Power Dissipation = 17.2W
Max. Case Temp.= 70° C
Serial = 9822FPCW
Copyright = 1998

Mother Board data:
Gigabyte GA-5SMM

"K6-2-450AFX installed into presario 5304, GA-5SMM
full story http://tinyurl.com/2c9wt

Front Side Bus Switch 1 (system speed)
1on,2on,3off,4off

Switch 2 multiplier x4.5
1on,2on,3on

voltage 2.4v
4off,5off,6on,7off,8off"

Old February 3rd 04, 04:34 PM
nut cracker

I thought that was a 66Mhz (bus speed) chip... if so, divide the chip speed
by the bus speed to get your multiplier.

For example, 300/66= 5 .

Your memory should also be running at the bus speed. PC66 would run at
66Mhz, PC100 at 100Mhz, etc etc. This hold true until you start getting
exotic with things like DDR and Rambus and stuff. Definitely not something
you need to worry about with this machine.

Hope that helps.

NuTs
ws.com...

Old February 3rd 04, 07:59 PM
HH

The 5304 came with a Cyrix MII 366 Processor running on a 100MHz processor
bus at 2.9 volts. A K6/300 on a 66MHz bus would likely be slower than the
original processor, not faster. The board should take up to a K6/2 450 which
would be an upgrade instead of a downgrade.
HH

Old February 4th 04, 04:38 AM
Tibur Waltson

Let's summarize. My 5304 motherboard likely runs on 66Mhz.
So, if I install a K6/300 it would likely be slower than if I would to
install a K6/2 450 or K6/2 550. How do I know if my computer
is PC66 or PC100?

Question. If I were to attempt to install a K6/300 right now, are
these switches correct? If not will I fry something?

Switch 1 Front Side Bus (system speed) CPU100, SDRAM100, PCI33.
1on,2on,3off,4off

Switch 2 multiplier x4.5 or 300/66= 4.5
1on,2on,3on

Switch 2 voltage 2.2v
4off,5on,6off,7off,8off"

Thanks,
Tibur

Old February 4th 04, 11:48 AM
HH

1. With the pre-installed MII, your motherboard was running a 100MHz
processor bus.
2. With a 100MHz bus PC100 memory is used.
3. With the K6/300 switch 1 needs to be set to 1 on, 2 on, 3 on, 4 off. The
multiplier looks OK as does the voltage.
4. However, it will be slower than the MII, so don't bother with the plain
K6/300. Use a K6/2 450. Then use Switch 1 (1 on, 2 on, 3 off, 4 off), switch
2 (1 on, 2 on, 3 on) and the proper voltage setting on switch 2 (4 off, 5
off, 6 on, 7 off, 8 off).
5 A 500 or 550 also could be used with the proper voltage and multiplier
settings. Axion technologies, http://www.axiontech.com has K62/500 OEMs for
$18.

HH

"Tibur Waltson" wrote in message
ws.com...
Let's summarize. My 5304 motherboard likely runs on 66Mhz.
So, if I install a K6/300 it would likely be slower than if I would to
install a K6/2 450 or K6/2 550. How do I know if my computer
is PC66 or PC100?

Question. If I were to attempt to install a K6/300 right now, are
these switches correct? If not will I fry something?

Switch 1 Front Side Bus (system speed) CPU100, SDRAM100, PCI33.
1on,2on,3off,4off

Switch 2 multiplier x4.5 or 300/66= 4.5
1on,2on,3on

Switch 2 voltage 2.2v
4off,5on,6off,7off,8off"

Thanks,
Tibur

. net...

Old February 4th 04, 01:22 PM
the yeti

Off the top of my head.....

....dosn't a Cyrex processor run at a weird FSB speed, like 83MHZ or
some odd thing like that?
Old February 4th 04, 04:21 PM
nut cracker

I answered your memory question in my first post.

get WCPUID
(http://wreck.dnsplus.net/archive/Ove...wcpuid/wcpu30f.
exe)

This will tell you your chip speed, system bus, mulitplier... all kinds of
things.

Your memory runs at the speed of the bus. If your bus is 66, your memory is
PC66. if you bus is 100, your memory is PC100.

No upgrade at this point is going to give you earthshattering results.

If your system IS a 66Mhz model, just get a new machine. the time and money
you will put into it will not be a worthwile return on the investment.

You can get a barebones P4 celeron combo from places like FRY's electronics
for less than $200, and you can transplant most of your componentes form the
computer you have into it.

NuTs

"Tibur Waltson" wrote in message
ws.com...
Let's summarize. My 5304 motherboard likely runs on 66Mhz.
So, if I install a K6/300 it would likely be slower than if I would to
install a K6/2 450 or K6/2 550. How do I know if my computer
is PC66 or PC100?

Question. If I were to attempt to install a K6/300 right now, are
these switches correct? If not will I fry something?

Switch 1 Front Side Bus (system speed) CPU100, SDRAM100, PCI33.
1on,2on,3off,4off

Switch 2 multiplier x4.5 or 300/66= 4.5
1on,2on,3on

Switch 2 voltage 2.2v
4off,5on,6off,7off,8off"

Thanks,
Tibur

"HH" wrote in message

. net...
[...]

upgrading 2 year old system for HL2 David J Burns Ati Videocards 10 November 10th 04 02:05 AM
Upgrading to a S-ATA disk with Asus P4PE - Help? Azaran2003 Asus Motherboards 1 October 14th 04 03:45 PM
Worth Upgrading? fatboy Ati Videocards 6 December 21st 03 08:07 AM
Upgrading graphics card.... voltage question and more.. J.Clarke Nvidia Videocards 7 November 29th 03 11:10 AM
Worth upgrading to P4P8x? Shiranui Gen-An Asus Motherboards 0 July 15th 03 03:32 AM