Upgrades

Old January 29th 04, 02:04 AM
Kevin Childers

Default Upgrades

Just my views on upgrades.

1. Bang to bucks, RAM has about the biggest pay off followed by CPUs

2. Know the motherboard and it's limits and you won't need to ask if it's
worth upgrading.

3. Little hole in the wall shops carrying used machines often have the best
prices on used CPUs that no one wants after they've paid for an upgrade.

4. H1B and L1 Visas should be curtailed.

5. Nothing the techies create will ever kill the music/movie/video markets.

Of course these are just my views on IT/tech related topics.

--
Kevin Childers
Spammers will be traced and erased

Old January 29th 04, 01:53 PM
Steve Burns

You can get good quality used equpment from Web Innovations and
Technology Services. http://witsinc.org/witsinc/index.html

We are a non-profit organization that takes in donated computers and
rebuilds them. We will sell you one for a few hundred dollars or you
can donate your time to us and earn one. We need help in almost any
skill area.... we do not ordinarily sell componenets, but I am sure
something can be worked out.

Old January 29th 04, 01:56 PM
HH

Kevin, I'd rate a faster hard drive, i.e., a 7,200 rpm drive to replace a
5,400 right up there with a processor upgrade. I agree on RAM, IF the
installed amount is marginal for the OS, 128 to 256MB for XP/2000, for
instance.
For Win 9X machines, including Millenium, just stopping useless junk from
9X. I try to keep startup resources no lower than 90% and have gotten as
high as 96% with Win 98.
Just a few observations.
HH

Old January 29th 04, 09:41 PM
donutbandit

Steve Burns "stephen.d.burns2 at boeing.com" wrote in
:

You can get good quality used equpment from Web Innovations and
Technology Services. http://witsinc.org/witsinc/index.html

We are a non-profit organization that takes in donated computers and
rebuilds them. We will sell you one for a few hundred dollars or you
can donate your time to us and earn one. We need help in almost any
skill area.... we do not ordinarily sell componenets, but I am sure
something can be worked out.

Very interesting, but since you're in St. Louis, that leaves most of us
out. Is there any way to help from a distance?
Old January 29th 04, 11:52 PM
John Kuthe

donutbandit wrote:

Steve Burns "stephen.d.burns2 at boeing.com" wrote in
:

You can get good quality used equpment from Web Innovations and
Technology Services. http://witsinc.org/witsinc/index.html

We are a non-profit organization that takes in donated computers and
rebuilds them. We will sell you one for a few hundred dollars or you
can donate your time to us and earn one. We need help in almost any
skill area.... we do not ordinarily sell componenets, but I am sure
something can be worked out.

Very interesting, but since you're in St. Louis, that leaves most of us
out. Is there any way to help from a distance?

I went to thier website and looked up "Opportunities", and the vast
majority of said opportunities are UNpaid! Only two paying opportunities,
one for Grant Writer and one for some sort of publicity job or something.
But not ONE technical job. Lots of requests for volunteers, unpaid
internships, etc.

Ahhhh well. Such is the life of a Computer Engineer, looking for work in
the St Louis area, I suppose. :-(

John Kuthe...

Old January 30th 04, 01:03 AM
JHEM

John Kuthe wrote:

I went to thier website and looked up "Opportunities", and the vast
majority of said opportunities are UNpaid! Only two paying
opportunities, one for Grant Writer and one for some sort of
publicity job or something. But not ONE technical job. Lots of
requests for volunteers, unpaid internships, etc.

I've worked with organizations such as this for more than 10 years and have
_never_ encountered paid techs.

I've rehabbed/refurbed close to 200 desktops and laptops in the past three
years, gratis.

Grant writers and publicist/fundraisers are usually "paid" out of the funds
they raise.

If you really are in the StLO area John, consider spending some time with
them if only for the networking opportunities that can arise.

Regards,

James

Old January 30th 04, 01:51 PM
Steve Burns

There are similar organizations all over the world. They can be
surprisingly hard to find. Try a google search for recycle in the
computer hardware area. Be usre you have lots of time to look through
them all...

donutbandit wrote:

Steve Burns "stephen.d.burns2 at boeing.com" wrote in
:

You can get good quality used equpment from Web Innovations and
Technology Services. http://witsinc.org/witsinc/index.html

We are a non-profit organization that takes in donated computers and
rebuilds them. We will sell you one for a few hundred dollars or you
can donate your time to us and earn one. We need help in almost any
skill area.... we do not ordinarily sell componenets, but I am sure
something can be worked out.

Very interesting, but since you're in St. Louis, that leaves most of us
out. Is there any way to help from a distance?

Advice on upgrades, Please!? acdcnews General 5 January 27th 05 01:27 AM
NEC Z1 upgrades? Andy Walton General 2 January 12th 05 08:19 PM
Sandia Red Storm upgrades for the future Yousuf Khan AMD x86-64 Processors 3 August 1st 04 12:50 PM
latest benchmarks after upgrades GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\) Nvidia Videocards 3 July 20th 04 07:51 PM
Unjustifiable upgrades ToolPackinMama Homebuilt PC's 12 December 4th 03 11:22 PM