Replace damaged hard drive in Presario 5461

Old January 5th 04, 03:20 AM
CyberCFO

Default Replace damaged hard drive in Presario 5461

I have a Presario 5461 whose original 10GB Quantum hard drive is damaged.
I replaced it with a 40GB Western Digital drive but now the machine won't
boot up from the CDROM, even though the boot order is set in the bios to
floppy = cdrom = HDD. In fact, I don't see any screen in the BIOS that
either identifies any of the IDE devices.

I can successfully boot Knoppix Linux from the CD if the original hard
drive is in the system, but I cannot boot from the Win98SE install disk
with the new drive in the system.

I don't see any help on the Compaq website for replacing a hard drive.

I have heard that Compaq has some weird BIOS implementations on some
machines that use the hard drive. Am I running into this? If I am, how
do you use the machine if the original drive fails.

TIA for any insight.
--
/g

Old January 5th 04, 02:06 PM
DEJ57

I replaced it with a 40GB Western Digital drive but now the machine won't
boot up from the CDROM, even though the boot order is set in the bios to
floppy = cdrom = HDD.

My first guess is you have the new HDD jumpered incorrectly. Compaqs normally
use CS (Cable Select).
Old January 6th 04, 05:24 PM
Louie

"DEJ57" wrote in message
I replaced it with a 40GB Western Digital drive but now the machine won't
boot up from the CDROM, even though the boot order is set in the bios to
floppy = cdrom = HDD.

My first guess is you have the new HDD jumpered incorrectly. Compaqs

normally
use CS (Cable Select).

Would this also be the case with a Presario 4712? Tried to replace old 5
1/2" Quantum Fireball HD with a Maxtor Mod #90430D3 3 1/4" HD and I keep
getting a controller failure on bootup with either one. Can't enter BIOS by
either F1 or F10 so can't change boot order. If I'm not mistaken,
controller is on HD, correct? Any ideas? Thanks,
--
Be seeing you,

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

eat the flies to email

Old January 6th 04, 06:08 PM
Packrat

"Louie" wrote in message ...
"DEJ57" wrote in message
I replaced it with a 40GB Western Digital drive but now the machine won't
boot up from the CDROM, even though the boot order is set in the bios to
floppy = cdrom = HDD.

My first guess is you have the new HDD jumpered incorrectly. Compaqs

normally
use CS (Cable Select).

Would this also be the case with a Presario 4712? Tried to replace old 5
1/2" Quantum Fireball HD with a Maxtor Mod #90430D3 3 1/4" HD and I keep
getting a controller failure on bootup with either one. Can't enter BIOS by
either F1 or F10 so can't change boot order. If I'm not mistaken,
controller is on HD, correct? Any ideas? Thanks,
--

I can verify that the CS jumper is correct. I have an old Compaq 4784 with
a Quantum Bigfoot CY. The Fujitsu drive I "found" is set up the same way

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/index.htm

- pack

Old January 6th 04, 08:32 PM
DEJ57

My first guess is you have the new HDD jumpered incorrectly. Compaqs

normally
use CS (Cable Select).

Would this also be the case with a Presario 4712? Tried to replace old 5
1/2" Quantum Fireball HD with a Maxtor Mod #90430D3 3 1/4" HD and I keep
getting a controller failure on bootup with either one. Can't enter BIOS by
either F1 or F10 so can't change boot order. If I'm not mistaken,
controller is on HD, correct?

With older Compaqs, the user interface to the BIOS was on the HDD (called
Setup), or can be ran from floppy. No BIOS/CMOS information was saved or kept
on the HDD. If the user interface is on the HDD you have in the unit, F10
after the RAM count gets you into it. FDISK will also report a non-DOS
partition at the beginning of the drive.

Many older Compaqs had no boot options--doubt that a 4712 did.

One can confuse the addition of a new HDD by using the cable that comes with
the new HDD, which is likely to always be a standard IDE, master/slave cable.
Then you've got to be sure to change the CDROM to slave, if the new HDD is
jumpered master and the CDROM are on the same channel.
Old January 7th 04, 04:40 AM
CyberCFO

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:06:16 +0000, DEJ57 wrote:

I replaced it with a 40GB Western Digital drive but now the machine won't
boot up from the CDROM, even though the boot order is set in the bios to
floppy = cdrom = HDD.

My first guess is you have the new HDD jumpered incorrectly. Compaqs normally
use CS (Cable Select).

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that tomorrow.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx