disable old USB ports ?

Old December 25th 03, 03:09 AM
Rob F. in Houston

Default disable old USB ports ?

My sister got a Camera that requires a USB 1.1 or higher port on the
computer. She has a several year old Compaq Presario with the old 1.0 (?)
USB ports on it, I can get a PCI card with two 2.0 USB ports on it for $
10.00 or so but my question is what about the existing 1.0 USB ports, will
plugging in the new PCI USB card disable the old USB ports (that would be
fine there not used anyway) or will they all be daisy chained together ? I
see no way to disable the on-board USB ports in Setup and there is no easy
way to physically disconnect the old USB ports cause they are soldered on
the mother board. Do I spend the $ 10.00 for the USB PCI card plug in in
and hope for the best ? Or is there a way to have Windows 98 default to the
new USB ports ?

--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

---

Old December 25th 03, 08:00 AM
donutbandit

"Rob F. in Houston" wrote in
m:

My sister got a Camera that requires a USB 1.1 or higher port on the
computer. She has a several year old Compaq Presario with the old 1.0
(?) USB ports on it, I can get a PCI card with two 2.0 USB ports on it
for $ 10.00 or so but my question is what about the existing 1.0 USB
ports, will plugging in the new PCI USB card disable the old USB ports
(that would be fine there not used anyway) or will they all be daisy
chained together ? I see no way to disable the on-board USB ports in
Setup and there is no easy way to physically disconnect the old USB
ports cause they are soldered on the mother board. Do I spend the $
10.00 for the USB PCI card plug in in and hope for the best ? Or is
there a way to have Windows 98 default to the new USB ports ?

There should be software to install the new USB card.

I have no experience with this, but I would say that you'd disable the
onboard ports in the BIOS and then the software would take over at bootup.
Old December 25th 03, 04:54 PM
Steve W.

Most of the cards I have used you just install the card and drivers and
you ready to go. No need to disable anything.

--
Steve

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Rob F. in Houston" wrote in
m:

Old December 25th 03, 07:27 PM
Tom Scales

There never was a USB 1.0. USB 1.1 was the first 'production' USB. What OS?
Anything older than Win998SE doesn't really do USB. There were a few early
Compaqs with USB that only supported the Compaq USB camera, but that was
probably 1996. That machine probably is too old for a decent camera anyway.

The ports on the machin eshould work.

Tom
m...

Old December 28th 03, 09:02 AM
Ðave

I don't think Windows 98 will support USB2.0.
98SE might, so if the card doesn't come with drivers for your OS... I doubt
if it would work.
Ðave

"David B." wrote in message
There is no default USB port and no need to disable anything.

"Rob F. in Houston" wrote in message

m...
My sister got a Camera that requires a USB 1.1 or higher port on the
computer. She has a several year old Compaq Presario with the old 1.0

(?)

Old January 9th 04, 07:58 AM
andrew2000

both will work fine, just install new drivers that come with card - note -
if the camera is for "still" photos and not "video" it is prob. not worth
the hassle as USB 1 will work fine and not much slower