Maybe a Dumb Question

Old December 24th 03, 04:28 AM
DEJ57

I thought his point was only DVD-RW would work, which I don't believe.

I agree that was his point, and I agree with your belief. I didn't understand
the point of the post either.

I believe all the latest drives, at least the +/- ones will do +R, +RW, -R
and -RW.

I didn't know. I did a search and came up with a product/price comparison site
that did list several DVD-R only and DVD-RW only. I was suprised to find
those, and the descriptions might have been in error or incomplete. But, as you
say, a DVD-RW would not be required, and the DVD-R the poster claimed he wanted
to use would work fine for the purpose he listed.

Dale
Old December 25th 03, 06:21 AM
Tony Bruno

A few days ago I bought a LITEON DVD + R+RW from Best Buy for $80 after a $50 mail-in rebate. LITEON has a good rep for CD burners, so I acted on this one hoping their quality followed through on the DVD burners. It writes DVDs at 4X and requires a 450mhz and runs on 98SE thru XP.

I didn't get a chance to install it (too busy putting together an Air-Hockey table for a Christmas present) yet but I will over the weekend. Many of the sales reps at the local Best Buy purchased this unit and love it.

Tony

"Tom Scales" wrote in message ...
Dale,

It was either OfficeMax or Staples -- one was $89 and one was 79. Can't
even remember the brand-name on the box, but it is an NEC-1300 drive. Works
flawlessly.

98SE should be fine and I would think 800Mhz would be OK. Just watch the
Sunday ads. I haven't paid for CD-R blanks in years (free with rebate).
OfficeMax even had DVD+R blanks (10 with slim jewel cases) free with rebate
recently. That was a first.

Tom
"DEJ57" wrote in message
I bought a nice multi-format burner a few weeks ago for $79.

$119 with rebates was the best I'd seen storefront retail. Can you share

where
you got yours? Would it run on WIN98SE? 800MHZ meet the minimal

requirements?

Thanks, Dale

Old December 25th 03, 06:44 PM
DEJ57

Many of the sales reps at the local Best Buy purchased this =
unit and love it.

Thanks!
Dale
Old December 26th 03, 04:13 AM
DEJ57

I see they are coming out with 8x units...decisions, decisons....
Old January 9th 04, 07:41 AM
andrew2000

DVD-r just reads DVD, need DVD-rw to make DVD

Old January 9th 04, 06:39 PM
DEJ57

DVD-r just reads DVD, need DVD-rw to make DVD

Wrong. Either DVD-R or DVD-RW can be finalized into DVD-V. The DVD-RW that
are finalized tend to be read by less players than finalized DVD-R

I burn DVD-R, finalized them, making them DVD-V (DVDs to you and me), and send
them out to customers almost every day of the year.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Dale
Old January 10th 04, 07:41 AM
Tom Scales

Since this is what Dale does for a living, I would consider him a pretty
knowledgeable resource in this area.

Tom

Old January 10th 04, 10:24 PM
Trai' La Trash

Hey Dale,
Which software out there will burn a 1 to 1 copy of a DVD?

I have two burners and only ever used them for data. (old one is DVD R and
new one is dual format)

Tried DVD XCopy and after it did the rip it wanted me to use two disc and I
didn't like that.

I'd like to be able to make backups of my movies so they don't get scratched
up when I'm on the road or lend them out.

Trai'

Old January 11th 04, 03:39 AM
Bob Rekieta

Generally, movie DVDs are dual layered so they hold around 9.4 GB of data.
Most DVD burners for computers can only burn 4.7 GB, so using DVD X Copy
will need to use 2 discs to get everything that is on most DVDs. DVD X Copy
Platinum will quite often get everything from a dual layered DVD to single
DVD as it allows you to compress and remove various features from the
original DVD (such as alternate language tracks). DVD X Copy Express will
copy only the movie and none of the extras, so usually that will fit on 1
DVD.

Old January 11th 04, 09:12 AM
Trai' La Trash

"Bob Rekieta" wrote in message
Generally, movie DVDs are dual layered so they hold around 9.4 GB of data.
Most DVD burners for computers can only burn 4.7 GB, so using DVD X Copy
will need to use 2 discs to get everything that is on most DVDs. DVD X

Copy
Platinum will quite often get everything from a dual layered DVD to single
DVD as it allows you to compress and remove various features from the
original DVD (such as alternate language tracks). DVD X Copy Express will
copy only the movie and none of the extras, so usually that will fit on 1
DVD.

Bob I think express is what I want!
I have no need what so ever for all the other junk they put on a disc. Just
the movie is fine by me.

Trai'

Dumb question about case fan installation hamidbm General 9 February 8th 05 08:01 PM
double sided DVDRs - a dumb question Louise Cdr 5 January 29th 05 01:16 AM
FSB question Ken Ruppel Overclocking AMD Processors 2 October 8th 04 08:37 PM
OT Dumb Question pilgrim Overclocking 7 September 25th 04 03:57 AM
SATA RAID question... basic RAID question Scotter Asus Motherboards 9 January 3rd 04 12:08 AM