cheap system w/linux - reformat for win98se

Old August 9th 04, 09:20 PM
Brooke W.

Default cheap system w/linux - reformat for win98se

The local Fry's is offering a cheap AMD system that has all the basics that
would be perfect for daughter and school. It has Linux already loaded. My
question is this: if I don't really want linux, but would like to just load
one of my cc's of Win98se on it, could I run into any problems doing this
via full reformat of the hard drive? The guy at Fry's told me that since
Linux was already loaded etc, that there could be conflicts with hardware
drivers and such if I were to try and force it to use Windows too. The
sound and video are onbaord, but he said that the motherboard might possbly
be geared specifically for linux stuff. The only other hardware it would be
running is the floppy, a cd-rom, the hard drive, and a modem. I believe he
may have thought I meant could I partition the hard drive to use both, but
if I reformat altogether would I have any problems?

Thanks guys!
bbw

Old August 9th 04, 09:48 PM
NC

Brooke W. wrote:
[...]

If you're gonna repartition the hard drive, you'd have to install
Windows first. This is because the Windows bootloader would overwrite
your MBR and I don't think you can use it to boot Linux. If you
reinstall Linux second, you can set up either of its bootloaders to boot
Windows. How on Earth would a mobo be geared specifically for Linux
stuff btw?

NC
Old August 9th 04, 09:48 PM
philo

"Brooke W." wrote in message
The local Fry's is offering a cheap AMD system that has all the basics

that
would be perfect for daughter and school. It has Linux already loaded.

My
question is this: if I don't really want linux, but would like to just

load
one of my cc's of Win98se on it, could I run into any problems doing this
via full reformat of the hard drive? The guy at Fry's told me that since
Linux was already loaded etc, that there could be conflicts with hardware
drivers and such if I were to try and force it to use Windows too. The
sound and video are onbaord, but he said that the motherboard might

possbly
be geared specifically for linux stuff.

snipped

that day has not yet come...
all you need to do is check with the mfg or the motherboard
to get any drivers you may possibly need if they are not picked up by
windows

to get rid of linux you will need to run a recent version of fdisk
and first delete the non-dos partitions

Old August 9th 04, 10:51 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 15:20:02 -0500, Brooke W. wrote:

[...]

Linux is a modern operating system that has drivers for modern hardware.
Win98 is an antique that isn't going to have drivers for most of the
components on that system. You may be able to load it in some crippled
form then you'll have to go try and find all of the drivers you need,
assuming they exist at all. If you really want to run native Windows on a
new machine you should buy a legal copy of XP. If you want to run Win98
then you're best bet would be to by a copy of Win4Lin and install it on
top of Linux. Win98 on top of Linux is a whole lot more stable than plain
Win98 because it has a real OS underneath it.
Old August 9th 04, 11:29 PM
Matt

NC wrote:
How on Earth would a mobo be geared specifically for Linux
stuff btw?

A lot of special-purpose hardware such as printers, cell phones, PDAs,
Mars robots, etc. only run Linux. Linux is designed to run on anything.

Systems based on non-x86 CPUs (e.g. Apples) don't run Windows.

But mass-market x86 mobos all run Windows.

Old August 10th 04, 12:44 AM
kony

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:51:13 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

Linux is a modern operating system that has drivers for modern hardware.
Win98 is an antique that isn't going to have drivers for most of the
components on that system. You may be able to load it in some crippled
form then you'll have to go try and find all of the drivers you need,
assuming they exist at all. If you really want to run native Windows on a
new machine you should buy a legal copy of XP. If you want to run Win98
then you're best bet would be to by a copy of Win4Lin and install it on
top of Linux. Win98 on top of Linux is a whole lot more stable than plain
Win98 because it has a real OS underneath it.

It is quite rare to find any new hardware without WIn98
support... it can be difficult to find USB2 drivers, sometimes
not obvious which sound driver to use, but in general a *patched*
win98 will run almost anything, up to limits of the OS (memory
and HDD size support, etc).

Integrated video, sound, nic, & chipset drivers for win98 should
be quite easy to find.
Old August 10th 04, 03:48 PM
Brooke W.

"NC" wrote in message
How on Earth would a mobo be geared specifically for Linux
stuff btw?

NC

I have no idea - that is why I'm asking because it didn't make sense and I'm
not an expert.
Thanks
bbw

Old August 10th 04, 05:36 PM
ProfGene

You could add another hdd since they are quite cheap now and put Windows on
it and you could use either by the booting sequence in bios. Linux might
come in handy and is worth knowing how to use.

Old August 12th 04, 03:52 AM
WebWalker

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:55:17 -0400, JK wrote:

How cheap is it? Why don't you just build a system from scratch?

Not everyone capable to build up system from scratch.
If everyone capable to do that, all those big boys such as Dell will be
out of business.

--
WebWalker