New to nVidia, couple of questions

Old December 15th 04, 10:45 PM
pjp

Default New to nVidia, couple of questions

Been running a PIII at 733Mz/512 ram/133fsb for a couple of years now and
have always been more or less happy with the Radeon 64DDR VIVO system has.
System dual-boots 98SE and XP no problems. Only problem is thet I have newer
games the system just doesn't really have the juice to run them the way
they're meant to be played and a couple more that the effort to get them to
play wasn't worth the effort.

Just bought new (to me, someone else assembled) P4 at 2.8Gz/pair of dual
channel matched ram for 1G/800fsb/etc. etc. The video card is a MSI TI4800SE
.. The system so far seems to be what I expected regarding performance etc.,
e.g. NFSU runs silky smooth with all eye candy at 1280x1024, same with Sands
Of Time, ripped a dvd in 2 versus 8 hrs. etc. I know there's a couple out
right now might even tax this system but that's ok for now (money IS an
issue) as there's plenty that won't.

I just have no general knowledge about nVidia never having used one before.
I do have a lot of familiarity with using dual-monitors as the Radeon
co-exists with a Matrox Mystigue (in PIII) for dual-monitor (extended only)
with TV-OUT of primary and I also used to run a Matrox G450 which used a
monitor or TV for second display and "expected" feature set.

1) what's the maximum res desktop can remain at when tv is connected and in
"clone" mode (initial tries seems to indicate 1024x768).
2) what's the options available if I connect both a second crt display to
the DVI connector (have adapter) and also have a TV connected, e.g. can I
extend desktop to crt and have tv cloning primary..
3) is there some type of "theatre" mode available for watching video/dvd,
e.g. window on primary crt display but fullscreen on second display (tv or
monitor)

P.S. I'm rural dialup (no choice) at 28.8 connection at best so online
gaming was/is never an option. Nice to finally have 2 pc's networked that
are fast enough for gaming as I have both a MOMO Force and MOMO Racing
wheels and both pc's play CMR2, GPL, NFS3,4 & 5, SBK2001, UT, Quake3, etc.
etc. finest kind. YIPPEE!!!

Old December 16th 04, 12:51 AM
clokey2k

pjp wrote:
[...]

I'm unsure about having 3 devices hooked up to the card, I've not have
the guts to try it...

As for theatre mode its called "video Mirroring" you can have the GFX
Card display full screen vids on one monitor as long as the other has a
video overlay playing (Quicktime, WMPlayer or NVDVD should do this).
Check in the advance settings of the display settings (same place as
nView stuff).

Video mirroring is extremely effective, i use it because all of my
surround setup is directed to the TV so watching a DVD is a comforting
thing!

--
clokey2k