Whats the cheapest method of backup?

Old April 25th 04, 01:50 AM
half_pint

Default Whats the cheapest method of backup?

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?
Do people still use tape drives these days?
And how much do they hold?

regards

half_pint.

Old April 25th 04, 02:08 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:50:37 +0100, "half_pint" wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?

You can buy blank CDRs for around 11 cents per, that hold 700mb.

Blank DVDs cost around 25 cents per and hold 5.4gb.

A brand new 250GB HD will cost you around $160.

So ultimately:

CDRs - .0157 cents per meg

DVDRs - .0046 cents per meg

HDs - .064 cents per meg

*keep in mind these are sorta rough esitmations*

Overall though, DVDRs seem to be the way to go (not taking into account zip disks and other media).

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old April 25th 04, 02:23 AM
Cerridwen

wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?

You can buy blank CDRs for around 11 cents per, that hold 700mb.

Blank DVDs cost around 25 cents per and hold 5.4gb.

I think you mean 4.5GB

Old April 25th 04, 03:11 AM
half_pint

wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?

You can buy blank CDRs for around 11 cents per, that hold 700mb.

Blank DVDs cost around 25 cents per and hold 5.4gb.

A brand new 250GB HD will cost you around $160.

So ultimately:

CDRs - .0157 cents per meg

DVDRs - .0046 cents per meg

HDs - .064 cents per meg

*keep in mind these are sorta rough esitmations*

Overall though, DVDRs seem to be the way to go (not taking into account

zip disks and other media).

Well i got ( a while back )50cdr's for £12.50 IIRC which is like 25p
or 50 cents (ish), so they are either cheaper in the US or have came down
in price a bit.
I don't have a DVD though (old fashioned) I will get one when the
burners come down in price (how much are they now).
Trouble with cd's is you can''t get much on the and you have to
spend and age searching for the right disk and inserting it.
CD's are ok for data but music is a dead loss unless you have a burn
proof writer (I don't). You can spend an hour burning one only to sling
it in the bin!! I have given up on them. Better off getting an mp3 player.

Just had a look at a big stores (PC World ) prices in the UK
and cheapest cdr's were 15p ~ 25cents.
(nice how it defaults to highest price first) :O)

DVD-r £1.20 each. (£30 for 25), incidently the cheating *******s
list 20 for £50, (£2.50 each) first ( there should be a law against it, and
in the USA you could probably sue them but no chance in the UK)
SO that about $2 a DVD. eight times what you quoted.

However for convienence a big hard drive is not that bad an option
(untill it fails).

half_pint.

Old April 25th 04, 07:12 AM
Stacey

half_pint wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?
Do people still use tape drives these days?
And how much do they hold?

How archival does it need to be? Cheapest for small backups is probably a CD
burner but I'm not convinced they are that archival but neither is a hard
drive, probably even less so.

--

Stacey
Old April 25th 04, 09:05 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?

You can buy blank CDRs for around 11 cents per, that hold 700mb.

Blank DVDs cost around 25 cents per and hold 5.4gb.

I think you mean 4.5GB

Er, 4.7 actually, my bad.

Old April 25th 04, 09:06 AM
Gray asphalt

wrote:
:
[...]
: --
:
: Onideus Mad Hatter
: mhm ¹ x ¹
: http://www.backwater-productions.net

Don't forget to add that the DVDs aren't rewriteable and the
hard drive is. So the cost is affected.

Old April 25th 04, 09:08 AM
Gray asphalt

"Stacey" wrote in message
: half_pint wrote:
:
: Whats the cheapest method of backup?
: Like per giga byte?
: Do people still use tape drives these days?
: And how much do they hold?
:
:
:
: How archival does it need to be? Cheapest for small backups is probably a
CD
: burner but I'm not convinced they are that archival but neither is a hard
: drive, probably even less so.
:
: --
:
: Stacey

I wonder when the size and cost of flash memory
I mean like for cameras will get to a size and price
where they can be backups. I like the idea of non-
scratchable, non-crashing media.

Old April 25th 04, 09:09 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 02:12:16 -0400, Stacey wrote:

half_pint wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?
Do people still use tape drives these days?
And how much do they hold?

How archival does it need to be? Cheapest for small backups is probably a CD
burner but I'm not convinced they are that archival but neither is a hard
drive, probably even less so.

*checks a 4 year old CDR*

Works pretty good. Be careful about buying the REALLY cheap CDRs though, sometimes the top foil
part will start to crumble and flake, especially if exposed to a variety of weather conditions (too
hot, too cold, too moist, too dry, etc, etc). And NEVER EVER put sticky notes on them, cause later
when you go to pull the sticky note off...yeah the foil cover will probably come right off with it.
And they don't work without it so uh...yeah. The disks can be scratched up pretty bad before they
won't work. Hell I've even been able to recover data off cracked disks before. o_O

Remember, the CDRs actually store 800mb, it's just that 100mb of that is used for "error
correction", which is why they'll still probably work even when they get scratched real bad.