On boot-up the screen displays graphics card 5mm in thickness!

Old December 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Pete Wood

Default On boot-up the screen displays graphics card 5mm in thickness!

Hi, Can anyone help please?
On boot-up, the screen is black but at the top of the screen is a line
5mm deep, all the way across the screen and u can see the characters. I have
an Asus A78NX motherboard and the Speech Post test is audible and everything
is said to be ok.
I changed the graphics card (ATI Radeon 9700Pro) over to an Asus geforce3
card and things were going well for about an Hour when the same thing
happened, the information on the screen went to a 5mm depth at top of
screen!
I removed everything and dusted it, re-installed the hardware and software
and it worked fine for one week and then the same thing happened! I am at a
loss as to know what it is. Any help on the subject with be greatly
appreciated.
Regards,
Pete Wood

Old December 23rd 04, 06:30 PM
Michael W. Ryder

pedro itriago wrote:

Did u use the same monitor?, because it sounds like the monitor's vertical
driver saying g'bye

Or it could just be that he has an older monitor that does not support
the video mode correctly. My 10+ year old NEC 4D ghosts all the first
screen information but otherwise works perfectly.

Old December 23rd 04, 10:49 PM
Paul

In article , "Pete Wood"
wrote:

I changed monitors and i still got the same 5mm deep line across the screen.

Try a different VGA cable ? Look carefully at the pins on
the cable, for any that are bent or out of place. There
could also be a broken wire inside the cable.

Paul