Brand New Mother Board DEAD. . .

Old September 22nd 04, 09:06 PM
Snipes

Sorry here is my setup

ASUS K8V mobo
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ CPU with 512K L2 Cache
2 x 512MB Brand Named DDR 400 PC3200
ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR DVI
Maxtor 80GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
LG 52x32x52 CD-RW (black)
400w Power Supply

Old September 22nd 04, 09:06 PM
Snipes

Default Brand New Mother Board DEAD. . .

Hey, I have a problem and have been searching for a few weeks to try
and get an answer to this one, I bought a new computer recieved the
package in the mail brought it in turned it on and got Chassis
Intrusion alert right off the bat, Switched the Jumper all is well
and the Chassis Intrusion alert is gone, I go into my BIOS check
settings all is well, Start to install windows, create two
partitions, 1 30gb 1 50gb off my Maxtor 80gb HD 7200rpm, Format the
30gb and start installing windows xp home, its just finishing, setup
and is prolly within 10mins of being ready to go with xp installed. .
. And the system shuts down, and wont turn back on. . . I check the
light on the mobo, and its off, I pull the power supply out of my old
computer to see if I can get any kind of power on the mobo, and
nothing no light no power no fans nothing, its dead. . . I've been
waiting for a phone call from the store I bought it from and havent
had much luck I'm not going to stop untill they fix it but if there
is something I have overlooked, that I myself could fix without
needing a new board then if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
. .

TIA

Old September 23rd 04, 02:21 AM
Paul

In article ,
lid (Snipes) wrote:

Sorry here is my setup

ASUS K8V mobo
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ CPU with 512K L2 Cache
2 x 512MB Brand Named DDR 400 PC3200
ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR DVI
Maxtor 80GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
LG 52x32x52 CD-RW (black)
400w Power Supply

If you connect your spare power supply to the motherboard,
then flip the PSU switch to "ON", does the green LED on
the motherboard light up ? If it doesn't light up, then
something is stopping +5VSB coming from the power supply.
Since that supply is only rated for a couple amps, it doesn't
take much of a partial short circuit to kill it. Without
+5VSB operating, the rest of the PSU cannot be started by
pushing the power button on the front of the computer.

This is not typically something an end user can fix. The
problem could be the motherboard, or it could be the way the
motherboard is mounted in the case. About the only thing
you can do, is the "cardboard test". That is where you
remove the motherboard from the case, and try to operate
the motherboard while it is sitting on an insulator, like
a piece of cardboard. When I build a system, I like to do
the cardboard test first, as it is easy to install stuff
with the system sitting on a table. But, in your case, as
this is an assembled system, it might be better to leave it
intact and send it back. With the quality of shippers these
days, anything could have shaken loose in transit, so check
that all the cables are in place. Even the heatsink can come
loose from the CPU socket, if shaken hard enough.

If you are confident in your ability to disassemble the thing
and reassemble it exactly as you found it, then you could
try the cardboard test. If you are all thumbs, don't risk your
ability to get warranty service. What you decide to do, is
up to you.

HTH,
Paul
Old September 24th 04, 04:06 AM
Snipes

Thanks for the reply, When I put my spare power supply in there was
still no light on the motherboard, I havent been able to get it to
come back on, I know my way around a computer but I'm not sure about
the cardboard test just yet. . . I've thought about doing it even
before you said that, cause I I have a feeling the case may have
something to do with it, and I just got a reply back from the support
department where I bought the computer and they said they've had a
few problems with this case. . .

Old September 24th 04, 01:51 PM
Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr.

Paul et al:
Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
Listen to the other Paul. In fact, I reccomend that you cardboard test the
motherboard before you install it. I have had a lot of grief saved over a
dead motherboard by testing in that manner.
Peace,
Paul