NO GO with 3 Optical Drives at bootup!

Old January 9th 04, 07:27 PM
Mattrixx

Default NO GO with 3 Optical Drives at bootup!

I got a new LG DVD/CD Writer for Christmas and added it to my rig along with
my other existing Optical drives (a Yamaha CD Writer and a Mitsumi CD-ROM
drive).
I made the new LG DVD Writer "Master" on the Secondary IDE and set my older
CD-ROM as "Slave" on the same Secondary.

On bootup, I can see all three drive entries and just before launching into
Windows, I see *three* "Boot from CD-ROM" listings...... looking for any
boot discs. Here is where my problem occurs!

While it is looking for possible boot discs in any of the drives, the cursor
just blinks and HALTS at the last (3rd.) CD-ROM entry and PROCEEDS NO
FURTHER!
When I remove the CD-ROM "Slave" drive (ribbon and power cable) from the
setup,it boots normally and proceeds with just the *two* (DVDRW and CDRW)
drives, with NO pause/halt after the 2nd. (last) "Boot from CD-ROM" message.

Any ideas what is going on here? Is there something I`m missing or doing
wrong?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Old January 10th 04, 02:33 AM
Mattrixx

Hi
I prefer to set my BIOS to boot first from CD, second from Floppy and last
from the Hard Drive. This is mainly out of old habit (rescue purposes), but
most recently to boot off my Knoppix "Live" Disc. Ofcourse, I really DONT
NEED THREE CD drives looking for a boot disc, but I`m wondering why TWO are
acceptable but not the third in this process?

Matt

"FuzionMan" wrote in message
. ..
Why not just set the bios to boot from the hard drive first?

gy.com...