Is Plextor still in business?

Old November 8th 03, 09:44 AM
Curtis Croulet

Default Is Plextor still in business?

My Plextor PX-W1610A has been flakey the entire 3 yrs I've had it. At the time
I bought it (with the system), I was told that Plextor was "the best." Boy, I
hope not! Right now it's refusing to recognize that any disk is in it. Even
trying to look at 'properties' freezes the system. I can't get into Plextor's
website, which leaves me wondering -- are they defunct? Is there another brand
that is more reliable?
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old November 8th 03, 11:36 AM
Howard Kaikow

I just had problems too.
It seems they have changed something that invalidated my bookmark to their
site.
Or IE has corrupted some of my bookmarks.

So, I went to www.plextor.com and then chose the site in the USA and rebuilt
my bookmark.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
. ..

Old November 8th 03, 04:56 PM
OldFartJAC

I've also had a Plextor 1610A for 3 years until I gave it to my son 6 months
ago. Never a problem with it and it is still going strong. Why have you been
dealing with the problems for 3 years? It was under warranty for the 1st
year so you should have had it exchanged or had the problem looked into. Why
live with problems which could have been taken care of? A lot of times it's
the software you are using or the setup. Plextor is hardly defunct, I just
bought their newest DVD 708a a couple of months ago and it works great just
like the other 2 Plextors I have owned. I also own a couple of Liteon
48/12/48 CD/RW drives which also work good.

Old November 8th 03, 05:23 PM
Curtis Croulet

So, I went to www.plextor.com and then chose the site in the USA and rebuilt
my bookmark.

Their website didn't work yesterday. It appears to be up now.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old November 8th 03, 05:28 PM
Curtis Croulet

It was a number of months before I really sat down to try to use it. I
eventually discovered that DirectCD had a bug in it (acknowledged on their
website) that locked up the drive, and I downloaded a new version. This seemed
to work for awhile. Foolish me, I thought the Plextor CD-RW drive should work
correctly out of the box.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old November 8th 03, 10:16 PM
smh

Curtis Croulet wrote:

It was a number of months before I really sat down to try to use it. I
eventually discovered that DirectCD had a bug in it (acknowledged on their
website) that locked up the drive

DirectCD had a bug? Nah, not according to Mikey Richter (Lying Scum):

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)

"the fault is not with the software but with the format"

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Subject: UDF, Packet Writing, and Backups
Date: 4/27/01

In fact, the overwhelming majority of the complaints about any UDF
software are about the format, but the format is seen through the
software which gets the blame. Thus: "the software lost my data"
becomes "my data were lost when Windows crashed".
=====================

--------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have examples of misquotes! )
Old November 9th 03, 04:00 AM
Curtis Croulet

So it wasn't Plextor's fault, it was Adaptec/Roxio's fault. Big
surprise.

That was the problem then. I don't know what the main problem is now, but
something called 'plxstart' keeps locking up my system.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old November 9th 03, 05:31 AM
Curtis Croulet

Really, a better question (since I *did* come here for advice) is: what do you
suggest in place of DirectCD?
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old November 9th 03, 06:20 PM
GlassVial

That was the problem then. I don't know what the main problem is now, but
something called 'plxstart' keeps locking up my system.

I don't know what that is, I've never had a reason to use Plextor's
software with my drives (and yes, I do have plextor drives, in case
you were wondering)

-GV