NEC 1300A and high speed CDRW media

Old November 19th 03, 12:42 AM
Rana S Ahmed

Default NEC 1300A and high speed CDRW media

Hi ,

I am looking to buy a DVD RW drive. NEC 1300A seems to be a good choice.
Can some one tell me if this drive supports high speed CDRW media.

Thanks.

Old November 19th 03, 07:53 AM
Paul Murphy

"Rana S Ahmed" ~~rana~~@~~pobox~~.~~com wrote in message
Hi ,

I am looking to buy a DVD RW drive. NEC 1300A seems to be a good choice.
Can some one tell me if this drive supports high speed CDRW media.

Thanks.

Yes it does. If you have a look at a picture of the drive (or an actual one)
you'll see there's "high speed" written vertically beside the CDRW related
symbol - proof positive.

Another way to tell (according to what I've been told by a CDRW media
salesperson) is any drive with a maximum CD-R burn speed of 10x or more is
more than likely classed as High Speed (AND many below that speed too). The
original slower "Multispeed" burners were 1x through to 4x but then there
was an overlap period where some faster drives were still only Multispeed. I
have a CDRW drive which has 12x CD-R and 8x CD-RW maximum burning speeds,
yet it's not officially "High Speed" but is still only "Multispeed". The TDK
CDRW media I bought for it is rated as 4x through 12x "High Speed" yet
although the new media is recognised by the drive, I have been experiencing
a few problems as a result. Some replacement Multispeed drive compatible
media is on the way.

I too was about to buy the 1300A but I've decided to wait and get a Double
Layer writable drive (capable of writing up to 8.5 GB on one side of a disk)
when they come out next year. My CDRW drive will make do in the meantime. I
also didn't like the fact that the NEC 1300A doesn't support the Mount
Rainier standard http://www.mt-rainier.org/ but then it looks like very few
DVD+-RW drives currently do.

Paul

Old November 20th 03, 12:28 AM
anjii

dvd decrypter will give you an indication of what speed you can write at
with certain discs for this machine...
also upgrade the machine firm ware will try and follow with the link for you
as it will not do princo discs ...
stick to ritek as i have had no probs with the ..
the link should sort out the princo discs but have never tried them as they
are ****ty discs to read as .iso from

whisper

whisper

Old November 20th 03, 08:10 AM
Moldy

The link you want is http://herrie.rpc1.org/

--

Moldy

The only difference between crap and art, is that art has brass name plates below it