D-Link CardBus Adapter -650+

Old November 30th 03, 09:26 PM
*elena*

Default D-Link CardBus Adapter -650+

Hi,
I am trying to install an Adsl Wireless net, and the first problem I have is
about the CadBus Adapter D-Link -650+ on my notebook (win 98).
At the first installation everything seemed to be OK. The drivers were fine,
and so was the cardbus (light on). So I have shutted down my NB.
When I switched it on after a couple of hours it was hanging on "Windows 98"
screen, so I reset....same thing.
I pulled off the adapter and the NB was able to switch on again. The drivers
were still installed.
I have disinstalled and installed again, but it was still hanging.
Bios updated but nothing to do....
Do you have any ideas about why my NB refuse to work if the adapter is
inserted?

thank you

elena

Old November 30th 03, 10:00 PM
kony

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:26:15 GMT, "*elena*" wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to install an Adsl Wireless net, and the first problem I have is
about the CadBus Adapter D-Link -650+ on my notebook (win 98).
At the first installation everything seemed to be OK. The drivers were fine,
and so was the cardbus (light on). So I have shutted down my NB.
When I switched it on after a couple of hours it was hanging on "Windows 98"
screen, so I reset....same thing.
I pulled off the adapter and the NB was able to switch on again. The drivers
were still installed.
I have disinstalled and installed again, but it was still hanging.
Bios updated but nothing to do....
Do you have any ideas about why my NB refuse to work if the adapter is
inserted?

thank you

elena

If your notebook is out of range of the wireless (access point or
router) range, when it gets to the point where it's trying to receive
a DHCP'd IP address it will sit and wait, from a few seconds to a few
minutes. Try rebooting the router and booting the laptop right next
to it, to ensure it's getting a good signal and see if that helps.

You could also hit F8 right after it POSTs, which will bring up the
boot menu... choose "logged" boot. Then the next time you boot you
choose "command prompt" at the menu and at the prompt type:
"type bootlog.txt" to see where it stopped.

Of course this is assuming you haven't altered the Window's Networking
settings, that they're at the likely defaults after the driver
installation.

Dave
Old December 3rd 03, 09:01 PM
*elena*

"kony" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

Thank you Dave I have made an attempt, but the booting is still hanging if
the card is in ( I don't have altered Networking settings).
Maybe there' something worng with the router installation or the settings.
I am not very comfortable with this kind of things.

thank you

elena

Old December 3rd 03, 11:14 PM
kony

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:01:27 GMT, "*elena*" wrote:

Dave

Thank you Dave I have made an attempt, but the booting is still hanging if
the card is in ( I don't have altered Networking settings).
Maybe there' something worng with the router installation or the settings.
I am not very comfortable with this kind of things.

thank you

elena

When you wrote that it hangs, have you waited at least 3-5 minutes to
be sure it wasn't just pausing for a REALLY long time?

If you manage to get it booted with the network card it, then run
"winipcfg" from the Start ButtonRun menu choice, and see what IP
address is assigned to the network card.

You can also choose the F8 boot menu option I mentioned before, but
choose "logged", then when it hangs you can reboot to the same DOS
prompt and type at the prompt "type bootlog.txt" and see where the
bootlog ends.

Dave