Yet another person with a "long file names" dilemma.

Old July 25th 03, 12:13 AM
Clive

Default Yet another person with a "long file names" dilemma.

Get Nero 6, it has a new option to relax the 64 character filename limit
on Joliet (Windows) Windows CD. Had filenames in excess of 100
characters here and they work fine.

In article ,
said...
I'm in a horrible situation. For about three years now, I've been
scanning family photographs and naming them with long file names. I

--snip ranting and raving--

Old July 25th 03, 02:30 AM
John Corliss

mark24951 wrote:
Howard Kaikow wrote:

ISO came up with long file names a loooong time ago.
It's the crap implementations that are causing you problems.
See http://www.standards.com/index.html#Standards.

UDF is based on ISO/IEC !3346, which has no such restrictions on
filenames.

Just in computers that can read it without added software, not a good
way to burn something that will be given to members of the family who
may not want to add more software, ie. the udf reader.

Right. And I don't think you can burn CDR with UDF anyway. I really
want to find a way to get the longer file names onto the CDRs.

--
Regards from John Corliss
alt.comp.freeware F.A.Q.:

Old July 25th 03, 02:39 AM
John Corliss

John Corliss wrote:
I'm in a horrible situation. For about three years now, I've been
scanning family photographs and naming them with long file names. I

--snip ranting and raving--

All of my family members are using Windows based systems with W98 and
above. I have been considering Nero 6, but the site is less than
specific about prohibited characters and file name lengths that are
possible. Are you talking about this kind of thing:

http://www.ccountry.net/~jcorliss/Nero.jpg

(Taken from a Nero 5.5 online documentation.) Does the path length
(within reason) make any difference?

Old July 25th 03, 04:01 AM
Poly

"John Corliss" wrote in message
mark24951 wrote:
Howard Kaikow wrote:

Just in computers that can read it without added software, not a good
way to burn something that will be given to members of the family who
may not want to add more software, ie. the udf reader.

UDF readers are VERY small applications, and the "installation" will take
place almost transparently when they load the CD (the UDF reader is normally
on the disk). I have heard of no problems with the readers loading even on
Win95.

And I don't think you can burn CDR with UDF anyway. I really
want to find a way to get the longer file names onto the CDRs.

If you use Roxio EasyCD, you can burn CD-Rs with UDF - no problem - do it
all the time.

Poly

Old July 25th 03, 05:56 AM
Howard Kaikow

UDF is not tied to the media type.

You can create UDF or UDFISO or ,,, with CD-R media.
I've done this with Nero 5.5.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.

Old July 25th 03, 06:36 AM
Ric

I feel for you, man. I've been through the long filename delimma myself.
Recently sent Nero a heartrending plea to finally add some decent long
filename support to what is an otherwise excellent program.

But in the meantime, as far as I know, there are only 2 programs worth
looking at for long filename support. The free one is called Burn at Once:
www.burnatonce.com which has a mode called: iso9660:1999 which allows for
filenames of up to 207 characters. Keep in mind that the filename also
includes the path, and I think it currently has a bug so that it looks at
the path/filename length of the originating file rather than the filename on
the destination CD which may be shorter do to a different folder structure.
So depending on how long your filenames are and how deep a folder structure
you want to use, this may be adequate for you. It's definitely an
improvement over even relaxed joliet formats, which generally don't give
more than 103 or 128 characters, including path.

If your filenames are too long for BAO, your other option is one of the
programs based on Veritas burn engine (originally developed by Prassi, I
believe). This offers a mode called "iso level 2 long" which supports
filenames up to 212 characters. Recently, I discovered I've been able to
burn CDs in this format where the filename with the path is longer than 212,
so I suspect that 212 may be for the filename itself, and not the entire
path/filename. Take a look over at www.stompinc.com. I use RecordNow Max but
I think there are some cheaper versions that have the same mode. This is the
only program I've successfully been able to use to archive my files which
generally have very long, descriptive names.

Now, I know CDs burned in these formats are readable without any special
software on Windows XP, and I'm pretty sure at some point I tried to read
one successfully on a Win98 machine, but I'm not 100% certain. I have no
idea what they would look like to a Mac, Linux, other machine, so if you
need these CDs to be universally recognized I suggest you e-mail Stomp and
ask about this before spending your money. Of course, I believe they have a
trial version so you could just try it for yourself and see if it works.

As far as I understand, UDF supports long filenames up to 255 characters
including path (which is the same limitation as most OSes today have) and
I've burned UDF format CDs in Nero, but Nero does not allow filenames this
long, nor any other program I've tried even when utilizing UDF mode. I
suspect this is an implementation problem more than a standards problem. I
know DVDs are generally burned using UDF but I don't have a DVD burner so I
have no idea if they are more flexible with filenames or not. Although,
given the size of your archive DVD would be more convenient .

The other option is to create a .zip or .rar file containing your pictures.
So in your case you could put all your pictures in 4 700MB .zip files and
burn each to a CD. This will get around any filename limitations and most
computers can extract files for a .zip archive easily enough. Assuming your
pictures are in JPEG format you won't get much if anything by way of
compression, but all your files will be encapsulated in a single file with a
short filename. In the unlikely event you're using uncompressed TIFF files
then this process would double how much you could put on a CD.

All in all, I still think RecordNow Max is the way to go...

Ric

"John Corliss" wrote in message
I'm in a horrible situation. For about three years now, I've been
scanning family photographs and naming them with long file names. I
just finished the project, and there are 2709 image and document files
in the project folder on my hard drive.
Naively, I thought I would be able to distribute copies of the
project on CD to my relatives and spent tons of money on a new
computer with a Plextor burner. Using the UDF format, it took a lot of
work and a lot of coasters to get it all on CDRW media, but I finally
made two copies of the project (takes 4 CDs per copy.) My intention
was to make a good master copy on CDRW that I would then make copies
of on CDR using Roxio's "disc copier".
When I tried to do that, I learned to my horror that the file
names would be cut off at 63 characters. Most of the project's file
names are longer than that and I can't trim them any more.
I've looked at Nero's "Iso Level 2 Relaxed retrictions" but like
Joliet, it's is no better than "disc copier" regarding long file
names. I've looked at Romeo, but that format never "caught on".
Why can't industry and the ISO committee get their act together
and come up with a file name convention that's as good as the one used
on my hard drive? Why the limitations?
In desperation, I considered distributing the project using UDF
on CDRW. Now I learn that CDRW media doesn't last in storage and in
fact isn't even recommended as a media for sharing data.

RantIf this is so why was that media type foisted on the public
in the first place when it's so unreliable? It's even suseptible to a
fungus!

I am absolutely HORRIFIED by the number of formats, conventions, etc.
etc. etc. concerning the use of CDs. Examples:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/cdr/filesystems.html
http://www.mscience.com/iso.html#STANDARD

Just LOOK at all that CRAP!!! Look at the SIZE of the FAQ poor Andy
McFadden has to maintain at:

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

just to make sense of all the confusion. Revenge of the f**king nerds
inDEED. It's a literal tower of Babel. I say it's time for a better
way of sharing data. DVDs and CDs are not any kind of solution and
never will be./Rant

By the way, if anybody has any ideas regarding a solution to my
dilemma, I'm all ears. 80)

--
Regards from John Corliss

Old July 25th 03, 09:00 AM
GMAN

Copy all of the data back to 4 independent folders on your harddrive, then
burn cdr masters using joliet format

Old July 25th 03, 11:17 AM
John Corliss

Poly wrote:
John Corliss wrote:
mark24951 wrote:
Howard Kaikow wrote:

Just in computers that can read it without added software, not a good
way to burn something that will be given to members of the family who
may not want to add more software, ie. the udf reader.

UDF readers are VERY small applications, and the "installation" will take
place almost transparently when they load the CD (the UDF reader is normally
on the disk). I have heard of no problems with the readers loading even on
Win95.

And I don't think you can burn CDR with UDF anyway. I really
want to find a way to get the longer file names onto the CDRs.

If you use Roxio EasyCD, you can burn CD-Rs with UDF - no problem - do it
all the time.

Poly,
You're correct. Found it in:

File/CD Project Properties/File System:/UDF.

Never would have found it without your pointing out the
possibility. I hope it allows long enough file names when done in that
module though. I'll sacrifice a CDR to find out. Thanks for the tip.

Old July 25th 03, 11:18 AM
John Corliss

Howard Kaikow wrote:
I have found that the Roxio EasyWrite will not work on Win 98.

Howard,
I've seen it fail in Windows 2000 as well. However, I'm using ME
and have had no problems for the most part on the few occasions when I
have used the module.