Problems with Sony DRU-510A - XP specific?

Old July 5th 03, 01:40 PM
Amethyst

Default Problems with Sony DRU-510A - XP specific?

I have recently purchased the above burner, and it appears I've spent £300
on a DVD-ROM! Running XP Pro SP1 (for system specs see end of message) and
it displays some very odd behaviour. I have two burning application, Easy CD
6 Platinum and Record Now, which came bundled. I prefer to use Easy CD as my
application of choice as you can see at a glance how much space is left.

Anyway, does anyone know any reason why Explorer, when any kind of writeable
media is inserted (and this applies to both flavours of DVD (both RW and W)
and CD-R/RWs) changes the DVD drive icon (which, before insertion, was
correctly identified as a DVD-R(W)) to read CD-ROM? This has the knock-on
effect of the system incorrectly identifying writeable media as 'read only'.
I, like most geeks, was really excited about 'playing' with my new 'toy' and
I feel like a kid at Christmas who's been given a remote controlled car sans
batteries!

Both applications generate errors to the effect that the media might be
faulty, full or read only. Now, as I've tried all 40 discs in my possession
(all still in their sealed tubs - this was my first attempt to burn
anything) and all 40 give similar errors, the chances of them all being
faulty are microscopic. They were purchased from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk who
are very good about listing drive/disc compatibilities and, while the list
might need a little updating, I cannot see that the 510A is that far removed
from the 500A, which both sets of discs (Datasafe DVD-RWs and Memorex
DVD-Rs) are listed as being compatible with.

System
----------
Athlon XP 2700+
512MB 3200 DDR
3 hard drives (2x40 1x200)
Radeon 9700 Pro
Audigy 2 Platinum Ex (though what my sound card has to do with the price of
kippers, I've no idea!)
SOYO DRAGON KT400 Platinum Ultra
Latest BIOS and RAID revisions
Chieftec case with Antec SmartPower 460W

I will copy this to the Windows XP hardware group, in case the issue is
Windows XP specific.

Thanks for any, and all, assistance.

Cass

--
Cassandra
Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People Too!'

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
of £1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post all
correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

Old July 5th 03, 04:46 PM
Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Have you installed Roxio's Engine 6.0.4.1 and DVD Builder 1.0.1.5
updates? You might also check Sony's web site for any firmware
updates.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
having both at once. -- RAH

Old July 5th 03, 04:49 PM
Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Sadly, I don't find that specific model listed amongst those
supported by Roxio:

http://rpp.roxio.com/drives/?page=su...ch=sony&OPT=fn

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
having both at once. -- RAH

Old July 6th 03, 05:16 AM
Allen DeKorsey

I have no problems with the drive, but I'm using Nero.

Try disabling the recording plugin for the drive, it can be found under the
Recording tab in the properties page for the drive.

Old July 7th 03, 11:12 AM
Amethyst

"Amethyst" wrote in message
[...]

I have since spoken to Sony (the company I bought it from, ironically named
'Tekheads' were all too quick to condemn it as a'Windows bug' and that it
wasn't a problem with the drive. Funny that I know of others with the same
drive (or the 500A) who've never had the same problem!) The moron I spoke to
also told me that "We sell well over 2000 products - we can't be expected to
know and support them all". Well I'm sorry, matey, if you're not going to
learn about your product lines then it hardly instills any faith in the
customer that you're a company they want to be making a return purchase
from. So Sony are going to replace it, though I have to pay shipping. GRR!!

Cas