Cheapest system for Athlon 2100+

Old June 27th 04, 08:08 AM
TickleMeEmu

Default Cheapest system for Athlon 2100+

I'm gonna be building a system for my Pop, and I'll be giving him my 2100+
as I upgrade to a Mobile 2500+. Aside from CPU I already have all the
externals (mouse, keyboard, case, monitor, speakers). What would be the
cheapest route? Would a barebones be the way to go? Thanks.

Old June 27th 04, 12:21 PM
Hamman

"TickleMeEmu" wrote in message
I'm gonna be building a system for my Pop, and I'll be giving him my 2100+
as I upgrade to a Mobile 2500+. Aside from CPU I already have all the
externals (mouse, keyboard, case, monitor, speakers). What would be the
cheapest route? Would a barebones be the way to go? Thanks.

I used an asus terminator barebones (around £100 GBP then) for a palomino
2000+ and it works fine. Rememebr with barebones you need to buy a hard disk
and possibly a modem.
Only problem with them is the lack of airflow, it runs so hot it has to be
underclocked to about 1.2GHz, but luckily the user didnt notice. Still works
great for firewire video capture and editing.

hamman

Old June 27th 04, 01:22 PM
Dave C.

"TickleMeEmu" wrote in message
I'm gonna be building a system for my Pop, and I'll be giving him my 2100+
as I upgrade to a Mobile 2500+. Aside from CPU I already have all the
externals (mouse, keyboard, case, monitor, speakers). What would be the
cheapest route? Would a barebones be the way to go? Thanks.

That depends. Power supply is most of the cost of a case, usually, IF the
power supply isn't junk. You didn't state whether you had a power supply.
You can find a good mainboard for about 60 bucks (probably less), and a
decent hard drive for about 65 bucks. Newegg has a decent power supply on
sale for ~40 bucks at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...153-006&DEPA=0

Your NIC and sound should be built into the motherboard, to save money. If
you want, you can even have video built into the motherboard. Check out the
following for ~60 bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...138-234&depa=0

Then you need RAM, minimum 512MB, like the following for $74:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-217&depa=0

I don't think you can build anything decent for less than ~$250, but that
includes a power supply.

I just spec'd out a barebone at www.mwave.com for $275, but that included
power supply and CPU, but did NOT include video card. So barebone would be
about the same cost I think, if you could convince someone to sell you a
barebone without a CPU. Don't forget a new cooling fan (HSF) for your CPU.
Good luck, -Dave

Old June 27th 04, 01:28 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
TickleMeEmu wrote:
I'm gonna be building a system for my Pop, and I'll be giving him my 2100+
as I upgrade to a Mobile 2500+. Aside from CPU I already have all the
externals (mouse, keyboard, case, monitor, speakers). What would be the
cheapest route? Would a barebones be the way to go? Thanks.

A couple of months ago I priced out all the parts for a nice,
complete, midrange system based on asus A7N266 mobo in a small case
for under $300. Add $90 for XP/home, or nothing, for Linux.
Everything was on newegg.com

Mobo w/NIC, sound, and video
CPU
case & PSU
256 memory
40GB disk
CD burner & bundled software
floppy

I _think_ this mobo takes your chip.

--
Al Dykes

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
ABIT VP6 "ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM" revised SiLapuLapu Overclocking 1 October 15th 03 08:07 AM
Questions about memory and a few other things for the AMD/Asus system I am building (long) Jim Homebuilt PC's 3 September 16th 03 09:05 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM