DV Notebooks and others - EXTENDED Warranty from HP for FREE

Old April 7th 08, 02:12 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default DV Notebooks and others - EXTENDED Warranty from HP for FREE

Reposting to other groups too.
Technically not a "recall" but it is.
Do not toss that Compaq/ HP laptop or batter
nor pay anyone to fix the PC until you READ THIS:

While at the HP site checking my battery issue:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...d uct=3250975

says:
" ... If you are experiencing one or more symptoms listed below, and
your computer meets the product criteria listed below, contact HP to
determine whether you are eligible for a free repair. ..."
Check it out . Bad battery ? 24 month warranty if the problem is listed
there.

Click on link to go to a table and see if your PC model is listed.
My model is a RG272UA so it's included in the free extended warranty!!
( from link
Step 1: Identify your notebook series and product number
Using the Service Tag on your notebook, determine if your notebook is
one of the series in the table below.

Click on your series in the table to see the complete list of included
notebook product numbers.
NOTE: After clicking on the link in the table you will be taken to a
different Web page.

If the product number of your notebook is listed in that table then
return to this page and continue to Step 2 for further instructions....

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
I have had same issue when I didn't use my DV6113US laptop for several
months and thought it was just a bad battery that died. Lately I've
been
using it weekly so hadn't noticed.

I just came from HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&printable=no

where I found 11/2007 BIOS update for battery problem:

sp38061.exe (3.12M)

I will install and let you know

I WAS at HP website and had a "contact us" form all filled out when I
found this bios update. Figured I'd try id before yelling at them. ( I
saved all the text here, so just past and send if needed)

This is the XP version for MY model :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&printable=no

Release Date: 2007-11-30 Version: F.3D

Description

This package contains the WinFlash utility and a BIOS image
for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The WinFlash
utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks
operating in a Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Windows Vista
environment.

PURPOSE: Critical
Fixes
a.. Updates the fan control algorithm of the system to
reduce
the likelihood of future system issues.
a.. Fixes issue where the touchpad scroll function does not
work on some notebooks.
a.. Fixes issue where the battery fails.

For a 6500 series - go he
http://h10061.www1.hp.com/ccsearch/s...0&submit.y= 0

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
Have a HP DV6500 notebook with AMD Turion CPU.
While the Notebook is shutdown after a week of non use the battery
discharges to 40% of capacity.
Calibrated the battery charge level.
Contacted HP support and they sent a new battery and have the same
problem.
If I remove the battery from the Notebook for a week it only loses 2%
of its charge.
Any thoughts what might be consuming battery power while the Notebook
is shutdown and how to disable it????

Joe

Yours has a remote control, right? If so, that is the cause. Even
when the system is shutdown, it is still in standby mode - i.e. like
the
standby mode of a TV - because you can switch it on with the remote
control, so it is still drawing power from the battery.

FWIW, my HP Pavilion dv6570[ed] acts the same. After I found the
cause, I remove the battery before going on holiday/vacation. After my
recent six week holiday, the removed battery was still 91% full
(measured after booting (without the AC/DC adapter)).

For details, see my thread "Battery quickly discharges while laptop
is
shut down." of 30 Sep 2007 in this group (starting with article
).

I hope this helps.

Old April 8th 08, 12:48 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default DV Notebooks battery problem - HP Compaq warranty extended

My online submission to HP. I suggest if you have a problem you do the
same.

After not using my DV6113US Media Center laptop for a few months my
battery was completely dead. I called in and it was replaced under
warranty. After not using it again for a month or so I see that it was
only about 40% charged and thinking - either bad batteries or I have " a
discharging problem". I charged the battery and removed it. After a
month - 99% charged so it's not the battery. Put it back in - check a few
weeks later and only 70%. I checked online and a LOT of other users have
same issue and replacing dead batteries.It came with a remote control
stored in a PCMCIA slot as part of Media Center - to play/stop/start video
etc. Nice feature, BUT that remote control ALSO has the ability to turn
the PC on. So,the PC is always in "standby mode" waiting for a signal from
the remote- using battery power. The unused PC/ battery discharges until
completely drained(if not used on AC for a long period).The MCE series
needs a BIOS update to be able to "Disable Remote" and REALLY turn off.

I DID update BIOS to latest F.3D. I saw
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...d uct=3250975
and think rather than have users ship back PC - better for both of us to
just update BIOS to allow to DISABLE REMOTE CONTROL.

Bobb

==========

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

[...]

. ..

Old April 12th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
BillW50

In ,
- Bobb - typed on Tue, 8 Apr 2008 07:48:59 -0400:
[...]

Some laptops still use some power even when the laptop is off. Some
hardly use anything and others more so. Even though I have 4 laptops
here, the two Gateway MX6124 are really good about not dischanging the
battery. But as a rule, I don't leave them in the laptop if I am *not*
going to use them on battery power again for the next 24 hours.

--
Bill

Extended warranty for laptop or not? [email protected] Dell Computers 11 February 18th 07 08:04 PM
Gateway Extended Warranty Experience Scott Gateway Computers 2 August 1st 06 10:01 PM
Visa extended warranty Burt Printers 1 April 19th 06 04:48 PM
To buy extended warranty? [email protected] Dell Computers 5 December 20th 04 01:39 AM
CompUSA Extended Warranty Jpearl Compaq Computers 1 December 14th 03 02:03 AM