XP machine dies (restarts) as soon as I try to write to a CD-R. Read and DVD write are fine.

Old October 21st 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
dean

Default XP machine dies (restarts) as soon as I try to write to a CD-R. Read and DVD write are fine.

Anyone have any ideas? My DVD writer works perfectly (Sony DL model),
but if I try to write a CD it immediately all resets and I get a back
screen and return to the BIOS start screen (full restart).

Tips welcomed! Replace writer?

Thanks

DeanB

Old October 21st 07, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 04:53:06 -0000, dean
wrote:

Anyone have any ideas? My DVD writer works perfectly (Sony DL model),
but if I try to write a CD it immediately all resets and I get a back
screen and return to the BIOS start screen (full restart).

Tips welcomed! Replace writer?

Thanks

DeanB

Disable XP's Automatically Reboot (on system failure)
setting, then note any bluescreen information like file
names, stop codes, etc... then research those.

How about if you use another application to write a CD?
Were you using XP's integral burner support or a 3rd party
program already?
Old October 21st 07, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have any ideas? My DVD writer works perfectly (Sony DL model),
but if I try to write a CD it immediately all resets and I get a back
screen and return to the BIOS start screen (full restart).

Tips welcomed! Replace writer?

Thanks

DeanB

Yes your burning program might need to be reloaded. You might want to try
downloading the Freeware program CDBurnerXP and see if that works for you.
If it does then the problem is/was your original burning program. It can be
found at http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

The burner takes more power to write a disk then it does to read one. With
that in mind a possible power supply problem might be showing up. It might
not hurt to also verify the cables between the motherboard and CD drive are
in tight, at both ends.

A memory problem can cause this kind of crash as well when the program tries
to buffer the data prior to writing it to a CD. If your lucky just
reseating the memory module(s) might fix that problem. Run a memory testing
program to verify/eliminate this kind of problem.

Old October 21st 07, 08:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

dean wrote:

Anyone have any ideas? My DVD writer works perfectly (Sony DL
model), but if I try to write a CD it immediately all resets
and I get a back screen and return to the BIOS start screen
(full restart).

Tips welcomed! Replace writer?

You probably have some files permanently damaged. The most likely
reason is a temporary memory failure, possibly due to a cosmic ray,
at some time or other. (It may have been years ago). The cure for
this is ECC memory, and reloading everything from the original CDs.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Old October 22nd 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
dean

On Oct 21, 1:26 am, "GlowingBlueMist" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message

oups.com... Anyone have any ideas? My DVD writer works perfectly (Sony DL model),
[...]

Thanks both of you. I have turned off the system boot on failure -
we'll have to wait till then...

Cheers

Dean