help with motherboard choice

Old October 20th 03, 10:23 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:18:59 +0100, S.Boardman wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:56:18 +0000, kony wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:06:31 GMT, "Wes Newell"
wrote:

Then your best choice would probably be a 2500+ (barton core). It has a
derfault 11 multiplier and your FSB should be set to 166Mhz. You will

need
ram capable of PC2700 speeds to run in sync with the FSB. All said and
done, you should be able to run it at 12.5x166. There are many people
running Barton core AMD cpu's in KT333 chipset boards. No mods should be
required, but you need PC2700 capable ram and a 5:2:1 bus divisor

(should
be setting in bios) to run a 166MHz FSB. A Google groups search for kt3
2500+ will also get you info that KT3 board will run a 2500+ - 3000+
Barton.

There usually isn't a 5:2 ratio setting for 166FSB in the bios, it's
typically an automatic function of setting the FSB to =160MHz.

On the contrary, most of the KT333 chipset boards I've seen do have bios
settings for the this. There may be some that don't though and I'm not
sure about the MSI board since I didn't dl the manual for it.

I have the manual. What is it exactly you want?
Mainboard spec
Chipset VIA KT333
-FSB @200/266/333MHz
Clock Generator
-100/133/166MHz clocks are supported

Is that any help?

Well, it tells you that it will support a 166MHz FSB. And that's all you
need. The divisor, if it's not automatic, is usually called Ratio and has
settings similar to 3:2:1, 4:2:1, and 5:2:1, for 100, 133, 166Mhz FSB
respectively. This is how Abit refers to them on the KX7-333 board.

Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 11:51 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM
help with motherboard choice S.Boardman General 30 October 20th 03 10:23 PM
Motherboard Final Choice ? John Overclocking 0 August 28th 03 10:26 PM