SHUTDOWN problems?

Old January 18th 05, 09:33 PM
Bob G.

Default SHUTDOWN problems?

I have been having problems with my desktop a Presario 54200nx
refusing to shut down for about 6 months now....

And yesterday and again today my laptop (Presario 2900us) also refused
to shut down...

BOTH will hibrinate or go on standby.... but will not shut down...

Going into DOS ... and typing shutdown /s (the shutdown system
command) usually ...BUT not always will shut down the desktop..
Same result with holding the power button in for a few seconds...
usually works BUT not always... In which case I bend over and pull
the cord.

Is this a common problem with Compaqs....? I did a clean install of
Xp on the desktop a few times and that cleared up the problem for a
few weeks then I was back a square one...

Seems it could be a XP (home) problem...but I have never had the
problem on the other desktop (Dell) or on my other laptop (Toshiba)
that run XP home....only the Compaqs...

Help....

Bob Griffiths

Old January 19th 05, 05:54 PM
Nicholas D Richards

In article , Bob G.
writes

[...]

How do you attempt to shut down?

You do not say what happens when you attempt to shut down.

What do you have running? eg Anti-virus software etc

Microsoft have quite a lot of responses to "will not shut down" on the
knowledge base.

Are other users logged on?
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old January 20th 05, 03:13 PM
Bob G.

How do you attempt to shut down?

============ Using the normal ..start then shutdown computer method..
Using the start then Sleep or Hibrinate
will work...

You do not say what happens when you attempt to shut down.

=========== get the screen windows is shutting down...(for hours)
after 10 hours I pulled the plug

What do you have running? eg Anti-virus software etc

=========== Desk Top is running Adelphia Cable companies
Freedom av software...laptop uses AVG avg
software ...most likely a pile of things
like weatherbug etc...

Microsoft have quite a lot of responses to "will not shut down" on the
knowledge base.

========= Yea tell me about it... tried everything on the desktop

machine months ago...without success...so I
just did a clean install of Xp... which
worked for maybe a month

Are other users logged on?

============ No...

Just strange to have 2 computers have this problem and
both are compaqs...

Bob Griffiths
Old January 20th 05, 05:56 PM
Nicholas D Richards

In article , Bob G.
writes

[...]

I agree it is strange. I have seen this problem in Windows 98 SE and it
was a bugger to solve. It would restart but not shutdown. Never did
find the cause, but a re-install solved it permanently. Obviously not
in this case.

Bob Griffiths

I do not have any answers for you, but a few suggestions you might try,
if you have not already tried them.

- Remove all USB devices (if you are using a USB Mouse or keyboard you
will need to use use/beg/borrow PS connect devices) including any
powered hubs. See if this solves the problem.

- Start MSCONFIG and go to the start-up tab and unclick all entries. If
this solves the problem then progressively add the entries, one at a
time, until you find one that brings the problem back.

- Remove none essential cards and see if that solves the problem.

- Try re-installing drivers, one at a time.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old January 20th 05, 09:23 PM
Bob G.

I do not have any answers for you, but a few suggestions you might try,
if you have not already tried them.

- Remove all USB devices (if you are using a USB Mouse or keyboard you
will need to use use/beg/borrow PS connect devices) including any
powered hubs. See if this solves the problem.

- Start MSCONFIG and go to the start-up tab and unclick all entries. If
this solves the problem then progressively add the entries, one at a
time, until you find one that brings the problem back.

- Remove none essential cards and see if that solves the problem.

- Try re-installing drivers, one at a time.

Thanks ....
Snow is forcast for this weekend...so that seems to be a great time to
sit down and "play" with the computers... Just depends on IF I can
"con" my wife into firing up the snow thrower ... yea sure !

Bob Griffiths

Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Shutdown problems after installing Canon Scanner John Scanners 2 February 26th 04 07:09 PM
DirectX Problems! Faustus Homebuilt PC's 4 December 24th 03 10:42 PM
Minolta 5400 problems Pygmi Scanners 6 December 4th 03 04:24 AM
Shutdown problems Mark F. General 5 October 22nd 03 01:22 AM