hd jumpers - is "Cable Select" best?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 6th 04, 02:24 PM
Euclid

Default hd jumpers - is "Cable Select" best?

I have a Compaq Presario S4020WM purchased from Wal-Mart last year. I
replaced the original hard drive with 120G and 80G drives. My question is
whether it makes a difference in performance whether I selected Master and
Slave for the jumper settings, or Cable Select for one or both of them? I
can't remember offhand. Of course I can open up the computer case and look,
but I'd like to know beforehand if possible.

This question is prompted by the fact that I'm getting slow hard drive
access with my primary application, slow enough that it is slowing down that
program significantly, and I don't think that is supposed to happen. Most
other people using the same application and ordinary PCs don't report such a
problem.

I suppose this could also be a problem with bus speed and the motherboard,
but I don't know about such things. Also in reading I notice that the
channels used by the drives are important, but I don't know how to check
them.

Any advice appreciated. They're both Maxtor drives, and of course they're on
the same Maxtor IDE cable - one at the end connector, the other on the
middle connector. Here's some system specs:
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
992 Megabytes Installed Memory
Board: KM266-8235
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD AM37320 08/01/2003
S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter]
MAXTOR 6L080J4 [Hard drive] (80.05 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 664213219209, rev
A93.0500, SMART Status: Healthy
Maxtor 6Y120P0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y31WBLZE, rev
YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy

-E