Questions re Compaq Presario CDS 954 & Deskpro 4000

Old January 29th 04, 01:13 AM
JFM

Default Questions re Compaq Presario CDS 954 & Deskpro 4000

Presario CDS 954 tower
---------------------------------------
Back when my only PC was a pokey Dell 486sx33 I wanted a 486dx4-100
badly but could never quite swing it. Well, someone gave me a Presario
CDS 954 the other day, and it sports the dx4-100. I would love to play
around with it, but the 4th or 5th time I powered it up the power
supply died. Naturally, I don't want to get much $ tied up in the
machine, but I would still like to get it running again.

The PS in the unit says the following:
Model PS-5181-4
Part No. 172820-001
Replacement Part No. 172838-001

I've been watching Ebay with no luck as yet. Does anyone know where I
could pick up a PS for this unit at a good price? Are there any power
supplies which could be substituted for the one mentioned above?

Deskpro 4000 tower
--------------------------------
The same person also gave me a Deskpro 4000 tower with a Pentium Pro
233mz processor. The sides, top, and front are gone, but the unit
powers up and runs fine. Might anyone know where I could pick up these
missing parts--cheaply, of course?

Thanks,

Jere
To send me email, adjust the following address accordingly:

Old January 29th 04, 09:35 AM
Trai' La Trash

JFM wrote:
Presario CDS 954 tower
---------------------------------------
[...]

Of all the post on this subject I am surprised nobody has gone an bought a
psu tester for $15
http://tinyurl.com/24vzd

Old January 29th 04, 12:18 PM
Kevin Childers

For Presario, you might try the folks at Power-on.com. They specialize
in power supplies, inverter and related items.

On the Deskpro, you might have some luck with the folks at
www.epcusa.com. They handle used office machines and such. I know that
they part out the ones that come in fried, etc. Haven't seen case parts
for sale, but I guess you could ask. As an alternative, you could check out
you local PC shops and see if perhaps they have a dead system with a good
case laying around. I've seen some of those go for as little as $10.00.

KC

"JFM" wrote in message
Presario CDS 954 tower
---------------------------------------

Old January 29th 04, 12:45 PM
HH

Duh? He said the power supply died? Try reading the post before making some
sarcastic reply. From your posts on here, your "handle" is quite accurate,
i.e. "La Trash."
Jere, the PS IS proprietary so be careful when replacing it.
On a lark, you might try he

http://www.das-mall.com/bcm/compaqm.htm

HH

"Trai' La Trash" wrote in message
JFM wrote:
Presario CDS 954 tower
---------------------------------------

Old January 29th 04, 08:10 PM
Trai' La Trash

HH wrote:
Duh? He said the power supply died? Try reading the post before
making some sarcastic reply. From your posts on here, your "handle"
is quite accurate, i.e. "La Trash."
Jere, the PS IS proprietary so be careful when replacing it.
On a lark, you might try he

http://www.das-mall.com/bcm/compaqm.htm

HH

HH who said it was a sarcastic reply besides you?
The topic of power supplies working or not has been discussed in here allot
so I just added I was surprised at the minimal cost of a tester I'm
surprised nobody has bought one.

I didn't bother to post that he might open up the power supply and look to
see if it was a unit with a fuse because I knew some shrew like you would
make a post about the dangers of opening the unit.

In your comment about my moniker it shows you are a little man by taking a
low ball shot.

Trai'

Old January 29th 04, 08:29 PM
DEJ57

f all the post on this subject I am surprised nobody has gone an bought a
psu tester for $15
http://tinyurl.com/24vzd

Its not clear that such a tester would be appropriate for older proprietary
Compaq PSs...If it uses ATX connectors it wouldn't work...

Dale

And your post was sarcastic.
Old January 29th 04, 10:39 PM
HH

Right, like your monumental gaff post about CD-RAM/ROM drivers. I simply
assumed Jere had noted the power supply fan had ceased to function, most
often indicating a dead supply. Very few supplies have user-replaceable
fuses. And recommending that casual users go poking around inside a power
supply is dumb advice to begin with.
Oh yeah ......Plonk

HH wrote:
[...]

Compaq EN P600 w/i820 chipset upgrade questions Eddie Crismond General 21 November 26th 04 09:17 PM
COMPAQ FAQ Tom Scales Compaq Computers 3 January 17th 04 08:03 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 3rd 03 04:09 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM