NEED Help ! RESTORE CD

Old December 13th 03, 01:27 AM
Vze

Default NEED Help ! RESTORE CD

Hey People,
I need help for a compaq 4409CL pc. It's running Win Xp
home edition. I can get to the Desktop but there is no taskbar, no icons
nothing except the wallpaper. I cannot right click on the desktop. I have
tried the restore CD nothing happens. the only way to get to anything is by
doing a ctrl-alt-del and then I can get task manger.
The error I keep getting is "BROWSEUI.DLL".

Thanks for any help you can give.
Larry

P.S. This is a co-workers pc. I do not know anything about compaq's and even
less about Win Xp.

Old December 13th 03, 11:31 PM
Teresa

Hi
I have a friends compaq presario 4409CL. It kept getting "BROWSEUI.DLL
not found" & there was no desktop no icons nothing, could not right click on
desktop.

I found Browseui.dll in windows\sysytem32 it was renamed. I renamed and
copied it into system folder, Did the same with shdocvw.dll.

Got Desktop back. But there are too many problems.

I scanned his system and found 9 downloader viruses & trojans.

I used Lavasoft and it found over 300 different registry keys , cookies and
other data miner cookies and malware.

He has 3 CD's
1. Documentation Libray
2. Restore Supplemental Software (productivity Applications)
3. Restore Supplemental Softeware ( Additional Applications)

I have no idea on how to restore this system. I do not know win XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

T.

Old January 26th 04, 05:54 PM
Nomad

"Teresa" wrote in message

"Teresa" wrote in message

"Vze" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Teresa...looks like you could certainly do with an AVG UPDATE !