Alert at bootup

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 21st 04, 12:54 AM
Katy

Default Alert at bootup

I really had 2 questions: (BIOS bootup alert & Event Viewer alert)

I am getting a message before windows loads (so cannot do a printscreen) just following choosing WindowsXP as operating system (using dual boot to W2k) that states this:

BIOS: BIOS update data incorrect. CPUID=00000F27, PCI Device Listing... (then it lists my devices and other info including IRQ, etc.) and continues to load windows with no obvious problems. However, I am getting many instances of Error in Event Viewer that reports this:
The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

(This link tells me I should replace my hard drive.)

This has been coming up ever since I installed this P4S333 motherboard almost a yr. ago. I haven't flashed the bios on this motherboard, ACPI BIOS Revision 1006C, since I bought it.

Could a message like this BIOS: be causing my Event Viewer to report a bad sector on my Maxtor hard drive? or doesn't this BIOS message have ANYTHING to do with the Event Viewer message?

I have done a Scan on the hard drive, have used Partition Magic to scan and fix it, and also have used the Maxtor.exe file that came with the drive to do 5 surface scans and nothing reports bad sectors to fix, only Event Viewer is.

Could anyone tell me if Event Viewer is reporting an accurate message and should the CPUID=00000F27 mean anything to me?

TIA for any advice,
katy