Sony CRX230A-U ?

Old September 18th 03, 05:54 PM
@drian

Default Sony CRX230A-U ?

I'm considering buying the Sony CD-RW burner mentioned in the subject line.
Question is, does Sony actually make their own drives, or am I buying a Sony
case with some other manufacturer making the internals?

@drian.

Old September 18th 03, 06:38 PM
kony

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:54:19 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

I'm considering buying the Sony CD-RW burner mentioned in the subject line.
Question is, does Sony actually make their own drives, or am I buying a Sony
case with some other manufacturer making the internals?

@drian.

It's a Liteon, of whichever model # that's the same speed.
I like Sony's faceplate more, it doesn't look as cheap, but the
Software Sony bundles is something odd... dont' remember what it is,
but not popular, and not Nero (which comes with the Liteons).

Dave
Old September 18th 03, 07:10 PM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
It's a Liteon, of whichever model # that's the same speed.
I like Sony's faceplate more, it doesn't look as cheap, but the
Software Sony bundles is something odd... dont' remember what it is,
but not popular, and not Nero (which comes with the Liteons).

Ahhhhh, a LiteOn? Are they an OK brand of CD-RW? Or can I expect problems
in six months? I'm not so worried about the software bundle, as I have my
own tool to make CDs. I just want a reliable, problem-free, long-lasting
drive. I assume most brands of CD-R are compatible with most CD-RWs these
days.

@drian.

Old September 19th 03, 12:36 AM
kony

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:10:51 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .
It's a Liteon, of whichever model # that's the same speed.
I like Sony's faceplate more, it doesn't look as cheap, but the
Software Sony bundles is something odd... dont' remember what it is,
but not popular, and not Nero (which comes with the Liteons).

Ahhhhh, a LiteOn? Are they an OK brand of CD-RW? Or can I expect problems
in six months? I'm not so worried about the software bundle, as I have my
own tool to make CDs. I just want a reliable, problem-free, long-lasting
drive. I assume most brands of CD-R are compatible with most CD-RWs these
days.

@drian.

The common problems with CDRW drives are attributable to the media
used. Most cheapo media has progressively worse error rates burning
faster than 32X, regardless of the spec on the label. In my
experience liteon drives do as well if not better than any other
drives (on average) and attaining highest burn speeds per given media
with minimum errors, but specific drive/media combinations, their
results, can and do vary.

Personally, I'd take any major manufacturer's drive if it were
near-free after rebate (except Top-G/Top-Glory/et al.), but if I were
paying near-retail for a drive, it'd be a liteon. Though IMHOl, it's a
waste of $ to buy a 52X burner, as it's only a few seconds (if that)
faster than a 48X drive, and that 4X speed benefit on the outer tracks
of a CDR, are exactly where the read errors are most likely to occur.

I'm odd like that though, I'd rather burn at 32X on a 52X burner, and
have a greater chance that the data is readable in 2 years, though
with low-end media even that isn't certain. As inexpensive as HDD are
these days, I backup to RAID 1 mirrors and only use CDRs for
short-term distribution, not backup.

Dve
Old September 19th 03, 06:40 AM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing odd about that, makes perfect sense...to me at least. What you said
also makes sense, buying 48X rather than the latest whiz, bang 52X. I
highly doubt any drive will actually run at 52X all the way.

Thanks for your opinion.

@drian.

Old September 19th 03, 09:31 AM
@drian

Dave,

I saw the Lite-On 52X 32X 52X he

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

The *retail* box is only $39.99! Look for the item with "Top Seller!" above
it. I read a review of this drive at cdrlabs.com and they gave it a 9/10,
rating it excellent for everything - yet the drive is just under $40.00. On
the other hand, the Plextors, high-end versions, are up near $100! What
gives?

Just astounded that a drive so cheap is classed so good. I suppose the
saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't quite apply here. In the case of
the Lite-On, you get a lot more than what you pay for...it seems.

@drian.

Old September 19th 03, 06:41 AM
@drian

"MrB" wrote in message
. ..
I've used dozens of Lite-on drives. I have had a problem with one.

Haven't, or had a problem with just one? Probably haven't. The general
concensus seems to be Lite-On is a fairly reliable, quality make.

Thanks.

@drian.

Sony DRU-500A Failed? Brian General 5 October 30th 03 05:06 AM
problems with sony gdm400ps T F General 2 September 18th 03 06:13 PM
Sony Library Jukebox cdl-2100 Mike Tyran General 0 September 3rd 03 10:33 PM
Problems with Sony DRU-510A - XP specific? Amethyst General 4 July 7th 03 11:12 AM