a7n8x not posting.

Old December 28th 03, 04:25 PM
Steve-O

Default a7n8x not posting.

Hi,
I just got an Asus a7n8x motherboard, amd 2800 xp processor and a set
of corsair pc3700 twinx ram (512).. i set 'er all up but it won't
post! I've read about other people having problems with that
motherboard and have tried every recommended remedy - I've reset the
cmos numerous times, hit reset button countless times, tried every
memory config.. unplugged everything.. checked all the jumpers but it
keeps telling me there's a memory error which i think is a bs message
because it only says it half the time. - every once in a while, after
resetting it a while, it looks like it's booting, but it hangs again.
Should i look into buying new ram? Anyone seen this configuration
working? Is my mobo f'd?
thanks
Old December 28th 03, 05:01 PM
kony

On 28 Dec 2003 07:25:31 -0800, (Steve-O) wrote:

Hi,
I just got an Asus a7n8x motherboard, amd 2800 xp processor and a set
of corsair pc3700 twinx ram (512).. i set 'er all up but it won't
post! I've read about other people having problems with that
motherboard and have tried every recommended remedy - I've reset the
cmos numerous times, hit reset button countless times, tried every
memory config.. unplugged everything.. checked all the jumpers but it
keeps telling me there's a memory error which i think is a bs message
because it only says it half the time. - every once in a while, after
resetting it a while, it looks like it's booting, but it hangs again.
Should i look into buying new ram? Anyone seen this configuration
working? Is my mobo f'd?
thanks

First, use only one of the memory modules till you get it working
100%.

What video card? Is the power supply adequate? A7N8X uses 5V for CPU
power, and combined with a high-performance video card it would be
prudent to use a name-brand power supply with =200W combined 3V+5V
rating.

Is the system bare still, nothing but one memory module, CPU/fan,
video card, power switch connected?

Is the board inside or outside the case? If inside, is it possible
you have something shorting against case or other wires, or ... ?
With a new system build there's a lot of little things that could go
wrong, it could be a bad board or something not obvious without more
detail or perhaps if looking at the system.

IIRC, that board is "supposed" to revert to 100MHz FSB if it fails to
POST, so the memory should be OK to get it POSTing, would only err if
it's unsuitable at higher memory bus speeds. How many of these parts
are tested working in another system/environment?
Old December 28th 03, 07:54 PM
Steve-O

[...]

I have a 480W power supply so that shouldn't be an issue. It's
strange because it only gives a vocal warning about the memory 3/4 of
the time and it whines with one stick of mem too. I unplugged the cpu
fan from the board (but leave it running of course) and if it doesn't
give a warning about the memory, it will say that the cpu fan isn't
running - but only one warning at a time. Should I be getting beep
warnings?

I'll have to find another system to test the parts.. this is getting
very frustrating.

thanks for the help though.
Old December 29th 03, 01:35 AM
callsignviper

"Steve-O" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I just got an Asus a7n8x motherboard, amd 2800 xp processor and a set
of corsair pc3700 twinx ram (512).. i set 'er all up but it won't
post! I've read about other people having problems with that
motherboard and have tried every recommended remedy - I've reset the
cmos numerous times, hit reset button countless times, tried every
memory config.. unplugged everything.. checked all the jumpers but it
keeps telling me there's a memory error which i think is a bs message
because it only says it half the time. - every once in a while, after
resetting it a while, it looks like it's booting, but it hangs again.
Should i look into buying new ram? Anyone seen this configuration
working? Is my mobo f'd?
thanks

It sounds as if you can get into BIOS Setup.

If so go to the "Main Menu" and select "Halt On" and change the value to "No
Errors." Save and reboot. Does the board complete POST now?

If not try just one DIMM or look hard at your power supply. All 480 watt
power supplies are not created or rated equally.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old December 29th 03, 08:06 AM
Steve-O

"callsignviper" wrote in message news:3FKHb.223764$_M.990810@attbi_s54...
"Steve-O" wrote in message
[...]

I have absolutely no idea what happened, but i installed one DIMM
before and it didn't work... came home from work and tried it again a
few times and now it works and I was able to get into the BIOS setup!
...... afraid to reset it though to connect my SATA drive. The
powersupply is a thermaltake 480W silent purepower, it's defenitely
not the problem unless there's a short somewhere which is what i'm
thinking is the problem now.
anyways, thanks for all the help guys.. greatly appreciated
-Steve