Logitech wireless keyboard and rechargeble batteries

Old December 15th 04, 01:39 AM
ATCSMike

Default Logitech wireless keyboard and rechargeble batteries

I just got a Logitech Cordless Mx Duo and the insert said not to use
rechargeble NiMH batteries in the keyboard. Anyone know why? Seems to me
they should work just fine. Anyone using rechargeble batteries in their
wireless keyboards?

Mike
--
AOL AIM: Jon Ne Reb
Yahoo Messenger: frostbitemike

email treesqueak (at) gci (dot) net

Old December 15th 04, 02:42 AM
John Doe

ATCSMike wrote:

The short answer to your question is "don't worry about it, use the
rechargeables if you feel like it". The long answer is below.

I just got a Logitech Cordless Mx Duo and the insert said not to use
rechargeble NiMH batteries in the keyboard. Anyone know why?

Without looking, I think they would say rechargeable without
specifying NiMH.

Seems to me they should work just fine.

Yes, they should work just fine.

For what it's worth. The NiMH rechargeable might run longer than
alkalines, but not in very low current applications like my wireless
keyboard and probably yours. The problem is leakage current.
Alkalines last very long in very low current applications because
alkalines do not leak electricity like rechargeables do.

Anyone using rechargeble batteries in their wireless keyboards?

Currently I am using alkalines in my keyboard. I am using
rechargeable NiMH in my mouse, gamepad, and joystick. The keyboard
alkalines last for more than six months (probably, it's a very long
time). The mouse NiMH last for about one month (not really sure, but
I think it's short enough to justify using NiMH). If you put NiMH
rechargeables in your keyboard, they probably won't last long as
alkalines. But, if you think the rechargeables don't last long enough
in your keyboard, you can always try alkalines.

Have fun.

--
By the way. I would avoid Energizer's recharger. Their $30 model is
giving me fits. It charges AA batteries OK but it forces me to

Old December 15th 04, 03:57 AM
ATCSMike

John Doe wrote:
ATCSMike wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the battery leakage stuff. I'll
stick with regular batteries for the keyboard. I've been seeing Lithium
batteries (non-rechargeble) showing up in stores lately, I wonder how
they would do in the keyboard.

Mike

Old December 15th 04, 09:42 PM
dg

Lithium batteries (non-rechargeable kind) are known for having the longest
shelf life of any kind of battery. Also known for having the highest cost
of any battery I have ever seen. I bet they would work well in a keyboard,
but not well enough to justify the cost.

--Dan

Old December 17th 04, 11:19 AM
nobody

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:39:57 -0900, ATCSMike
wrote:

I just got a Logitech Cordless Mx Duo and the insert said not to use
rechargeble NiMH batteries in the keyboard. Anyone know why? Seems to me
they should work just fine. Anyone using rechargeble batteries in their
wireless keyboards?

Mike

Two possible problems:

1) The voltage of a standard alakline cell is 1.5V,
whereas NiMH give only 1.2V.

2) Alkalines are very good for low-current, long-duration uses,
as their high internal resistance virtually stops charge leakage.
NiMH, on the other hand, will self-discharge rapidly. I've see
figures for NiMH self-discharge rates of between 3% & 10% per
day.

Old December 17th 04, 03:59 PM
JAD

well that would put these Ni's at a (negative) -8 volts by now.....KB
NI's are in for over a month now....still over 60% of the charge left.

Old December 17th 04, 04:11 PM
spodosaurus

ATCSMike wrote:
I just got a Logitech Cordless Mx Duo and the insert said not to use
rechargeble NiMH batteries in the keyboard. Anyone know why? Seems to me
they should work just fine. Anyone using rechargeble batteries in their
wireless keyboards?

Mike

I have the older version of the logitech wireless keyboard and wireless
optical mouse. The mouse chews through NiCd batteries like they were
candy. NiMH batteries work well in it (it = mouse). I now use my old
NiCd batteries in the keyboard. I don't know why there would be a
prohibition against using NiMH batteries in the keyboard unit, but I'm
sure one of the other contributors here will get an answer to you.

Cheers,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old December 17th 04, 04:43 PM
nobody

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:59:34 -0800, "JAD"
wrote:

...well that would put these Ni's at a (negative) -8 volts by now......

Wrong.

Self-discharge refers to reduction in a battery's real capacity,
rather than (specifically) its voltage.

Say your NiMH AA battery has a capacity of 1400mAH and it's fully
charged and topped-off.

Leave it on the shelf for 24 hours, and its capacity is now:

1400 - ((1400/100) * 3) = 1358mAH
(assuming a 3%/day self-discharge rate)

Leave it on the shelf another 24 hours, and its real capacity is:

1358 - ((1358/100) * 3) = 1317mAH

....etc etc.

...KB NI's are in for over a month now....still over 60% of the charge left.

How is the remaining charge being measured?

Old December 17th 04, 04:49 PM
John Doe

My estimate for NiMH leakage current would be less, but still many
times higher than alkalines.

Even if not for high leakage current, why would you want to use
NiMH rechargeables in a very low current device?

If your NiMH rechargeables last for six months, you would be able to
recharge them roughly 120 times in 60 years. They are rated for 1000
recharges.

Are NiMH rechargeables safer for the environment than alkalines? I
know they are much less harmful than nickel cadmium rechargeables.

From: "JAD"
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt