A7V8X-MX SE Graphics card Question

Old July 9th 04, 10:15 AM
Ian Stirling

Default A7V8X-MX SE Graphics card Question

Hi

I have the A7V8X-MX SE motherboard and I am currently using the built in
video chip and 64MB of system memory.

I have just bought for the grand sum of £5 a Matrox G400 32mb dual-head
graphics card and wondered if it would be suitable for my motherboard. The
user guide for the card says "Compatible with AGP 2X and AGP 4X systems"

--
Ian Stirling
Old July 9th 04, 10:41 AM
Harry

On 9 Jul 2004 09:15:21 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Hi

I have the A7V8X-MX SE motherboard and I am currently using the built in
video chip and 64MB of system memory.

I have just bought for the grand sum of £5 a Matrox G400 32mb dual-head
graphics card and wondered if it would be suitable for my motherboard. The
user guide for the card says "Compatible with AGP 2X and AGP 4X systems"

Yes it will be compatible. But, I had a G450 card and I put it in my
A7V8X-MX and it ran slower than the built-in graphics.

I think you are taking a step back with this one.

HTH

Harry
Old July 9th 04, 11:25 AM
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Hi

I have the A7V8X-MX SE motherboard and I am currently using the built
in video chip and 64MB of system memory.

I have just bought for the grand sum of £5 a Matrox G400 32mb
dual-head graphics card and wondered if it would be suitable for my
motherboard. The user guide for the card says "Compatible with AGP 2X
and AGP 4X systems"

Yes it will be compatible. But, I had a G450 card and I put it in my
A7V8X-MX and it ran slower than the built-in graphics.

I think you are taking a step back with this one.

Thanks for that Harry. Might have to rethink my strategy :-(

Just out of interest, was the slowdown in all areas - I only intend to use
it for 2D work, email, web browsing etc

--
Ian Stirling
Old July 9th 04, 12:20 PM
Harry

wrote:

Hi

I have the A7V8X-MX SE motherboard and I am currently using the built
in video chip and 64MB of system memory.

I have just bought for the grand sum of £5 a Matrox G400 32mb
dual-head graphics card and wondered if it would be suitable for my
motherboard. The user guide for the card says "Compatible with AGP 2X
and AGP 4X systems"

Yes it will be compatible. But, I had a G450 card and I put it in my
A7V8X-MX and it ran slower than the built-in graphics.

I think you are taking a step back with this one.

Thanks for that Harry. Might have to rethink my strategy :-(

Just out of interest, was the slowdown in all areas - I only intend to use
it for 2D work, email, web browsing etc

The main slow down was in games. I did notice an occasional little
slowdown in 2D work, but if that is all that you are intending to do,
then you probably wont notice it too much.

The on board graphics is more superior than the G450 I used. The
onboard graphics does allow me to run very high res. with max colours
and settings. The G450 was a little slow here and there when running
the same display settings.

HTH

Harry

PS Is their any particular reason why you dont want to use the onboard
graphics? Maybe I can help some more on this one?

cheers