Laptop cursor freezing...

Old February 7th 09, 03:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

Default Laptop cursor freezing...

.... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.

It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Barbara
Old February 7th 09, 04:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

chicagofan wrote:
... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.

It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Barbara

Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
bj
Old February 7th 09, 04:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

chicagofan wrote:
chicagofan wrote:

... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.

It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Barbara

Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
bj

Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance [with
ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage *bursts*
every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've never had one
before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do. TIA....
bj
Old February 7th 09, 04:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:54:55 -0500:
... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently.
Is the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.

It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Barbara! I would check the Task Manager for something using a lot of
CPU time. I also would check the cursor movement under safe mode. As
everything should be fine there. If not, you might have another problem
going on. Let us know what you find.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old February 7th 09, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

Default Laptop freezing...

chicagofan wrote:
chicagofan wrote:

chicagofan wrote:

... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.

It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Barbara

Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
bj

Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance [with
ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage *bursts*
every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've never had one
before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do. TIA....
bj

OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking Sys
config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
Mozilla newsgroups.

BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
Windows pc.

Just want to say I'm glad some of you, especially you Ben Myers are
keeping this group alive. Gateway is still my preference, even though
it's been sold.
bj

Old February 7th 09, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:22:27 -0500:
chicagofan wrote:
chicagofan wrote:

... or at least that is what appears to be happening
intermittently. Is the pad going bad? Or are other things causing
the delays? I've noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've
typed a few keystrokes before they appear. What can I check? It's
getting decidedly worse this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything
on it. It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Barbara

Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
bj

Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance
[with ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage
*bursts* every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've
never had one before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do.
TIA.... bj

Click on the Process tab and tell us which process is eating up all of
the time.

Old February 7th 09, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:58:43 -0500:
chicagofan wrote:
chicagofan wrote:

chicagofan wrote:

[...]

You can minimize the Task Manager and it will show CPU usage in the
System Tray. Although I like MS free Process Explorer much better.
Whatever you use, just make a shortcut in your Startup folder if you
want it to automatically run at boot.

Old February 7th 09, 05:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan

BillW50 wrote:
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:58:43 -0500:

OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking
Sys config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
Mozilla newsgroups.

BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
Windows pc.
bj

You can minimize the Task Manager and it will show CPU usage in the
System Tray. Although I like MS free Process Explorer much better.
Whatever you use, just make a shortcut in your Startup folder if you
want it to automatically run at boot.

Thanks so much, Bill for your replies! I thought my trustworthy laptop
was failing and it's such a relief to have a place to go and get help.

I'll check out the Process Explorer, before setting up the Task
Manager. Thanks again for all your advice.
bj

Old February 7th 09, 07:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
chicagofan typed:
Thanks so much, Bill for your replies! I thought my trustworthy
laptop was failing and it's such a relief to have a place to go and
get help.
I'll check out the Process Explorer, before setting up the Task
Manager. Thanks again for all your advice.
bj

Sure no problem.

Old February 7th 09, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Joan F \(MI\)

I have a nice program called StatBar that runs a very thin bar across the
top of the screen and shows CPU usage, memory usage, and a number of other
things, you can choose what to put on it. Free at: http://www.statbar.nl/