Solo 9500. follow up and new problems.

Old January 25th 09, 05:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Denzil Hathway

Default Solo 9500. follow up and new problems.

Thanks to all that wrote on my Solo 9500 "no boot" problem and my failed
attempt to fix it by swapping out the CMOS battery. A tech told me I should
change MB, for $300. I took note of your many comments to get a new Laptop.
Here's what I did. I bought a reconditioned MB for $49 and paid a tech about
$90 to out it in. Everything works fine, even better than before!

I mentioned that the LCD display while acceptable was cranked all the way
up - so I can expect trouble. I bought a new overstock external 17" LCD for
$80 and it works fine too. I have two new problems now though.

1.. I can't turn the Laptop LCD off. There is an LCD/CRT supplemental
button on the 9500 but pressing it and the Ln button at the same time
changes nothing. How can I turn the Laptop LCD off?

2.. The speakers on my new MPC LCD work - I get weak sound when I connect
a stereo mini-pin between it and the headphone output of the Laptop. When I
connect what I think is the external output, the middle one on the9500, I
get nothing. Do I have to turn something on - if so, what?

Thanks, Regards, Denzil.

Old January 25th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
Denzil Hathway typed on Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:25:01 -0700:
1.. I can't turn the Laptop LCD off. There is an LCD/CRT supplemental
button on the 9500 but pressing it and the Ln button at the same time
changes nothing. How can I turn the Laptop LCD off?

2.. The speakers on my new MPC LCD work - I get weak sound when I
connect a stereo mini-pin between it and the headphone output of the
Laptop. When I connect what I think is the external output, the
middle one on the9500, I get nothing. Do I have to turn something on
- if so, what?

Thanks, Regards, Denzil.

1) There are lots of utilities that turns off the display. Although I don't
like too many utilities. Nor do I like just a few with way too many
features. One you might like is called:

BattStat v0.98
http://users.rcn.com/tmtalpey/BattStat/

Right clicking on it in the System Tray has a screen off option. The rest of
it gives great battery and temperature readings. One of my *must* have
utilities for laptops.

2) You can't hurt anything by plugging speakers into a mic or aux mini jack.
So try those in case you guessed the wrong one for the output jack. Although
don't plug in a microphone into an output jack, as you *can* damage a mic
plugging it into the wrong jack.

Another possibility is that you need an amplified speakers for this jack. As
an headphone jack normally doesn't have enough power to drive external
speakers. This is true most of the time.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old January 26th 09, 05:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Denzil Hathway

Bill, thanks for the help. I installed the "Display Off" utility from the
link you provided and tried it out. As I suspected "Display Off" shut down
BOTH screens, the Laptop internal LCD and my External flat panel. My
objective is to shut down the internal LCD only and run entirely on the
external screen. Pehaps that was not clear in my earlier posting. Haven't
tried your Audio suggestions yet. Regards, Denzil.

======================

Old January 26th 09, 03:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
Denzil Hathway typed on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:49:45 -0700:
Bill, thanks for the help. I installed the "Display Off" utility from
the link you provided and tried it out. As I suspected "Display Off"
shut down BOTH screens, the Laptop internal LCD and my External flat
panel. My objective is to shut down the internal LCD only and run
entirely on the external screen. Pehaps that was not clear in my
earlier posting. Haven't tried your Audio suggestions yet. Regards,
Denzil.

Oh I see. Well you can turn off one of the screens through Control Panel -
Display. And go to the Settings tab. There select the monitor you want. You
should see monitor 1 and 2. Then check the "Extend my Windows desktop onto
this monitor". Now the one above it "Use this device as the primary monitor"
should be able to be checked too (ungreyed). And go ahead and check it.

This is the Windows way of doing it anyway. Depending on the video chip and
driver, it may work or not. Also many video drivers has their own utility
(usually in the Control Panel and/or System Tray). And it will be called
Intel something, ATI something, etc. And if you have one, can usually switch
to one of the displays as well.

Old January 27th 09, 06:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Denzil Hathway

Bill, thanks for the comeback. I looked in Control Panel/Display/Settings
before. Idon't see Monitor 1&2 (with both on and working). I see a single
entry for Display, "Multiple Monitors on ATI Mobility 128 AGP 4X." I looked
in Devce Manager too. It shows four Default monitors with good drivers for
each. A Plug and Play Monitor appears when I connect my external LCD sreen
but like before, both screens are on, showing the same image. I'd like to
turn the Laptop internal monitor off, Regards, Denzil..

Old January 27th 09, 12:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
Denzil Hathway typed on Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:46:08 -0700:
wrote in message
[...]

Yes that is what I am talking about. You should be able to turn off the
laptop display and keep the external monitor on through the Display
Properties or through the ATI utility.

Old January 27th 09, 09:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Name brand manufacturers often provide somewhat crippled or minimal
(lacking some features) utility software with their computers. It might
be worthwhile to download and install ATI's version of the
driver-and-utilities for the Mobility 128... Ben Myers
Old January 28th 09, 02:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Denzil Hathway

Ben, actually I might do that, when I have a little time. I was puzzling why
I couldn't find the ATI utility that Bill is talking about. I certainly
couldn't find answers in Windows. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Regards, Denzil

===================

Old January 28th 09, 05:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Gateway may well have provided drivers only for the Mobility 128 on the
9500, and no utility software.

Ackkk! I can't find Rage Mobility 128 drivers on the ATI web site.
They've taken them away.

Try the IBM ones, a 10MB download:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-41604

It's all the same software for the same chip, so it does not matter
which manufacturer's driver package you use. Gone are the days when a
name brand mfr was either stupid enough or had enough clout to insist on
a custom chip with a slightly different hardware-software interface
special just for them... Ben Myers