LaserJet 6P toner problem

Old November 20th 05, 11:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default LaserJet 6P toner problem

Hello. I'm looking for advice regarding a toner problem that's
happening when I print with my HP LaserJet 6P.

The pages print fine, but I think some of the toner is sticking to the
drum and causing a streak of toner to come out on the page. This
happens especially in areas of the page where there are dark
illustrations.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.wonderella.org/printproblem.htm

Should I clean part of the printer? Part of the toner cartridge? Any
and all advice gratefully accepted!

Thank you,
Clint

Old November 21st 05, 12:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

In article .com,
says...

Hello. I'm looking for advice regarding a toner problem that's
happening when I print with my HP LaserJet 6P.

The pages print fine, but I think some of the toner is sticking to the
drum and causing a streak of toner to come out on the page. This
happens especially in areas of the page where there are dark
illustrations.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.wonderella.org/printproblem.htm

Should I clean part of the printer? Part of the toner cartridge? Any
and all advice gratefully accepted!

Replacing the toner cartridge fixes most things like that.

Old November 21st 05, 01:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thanks for the quick help, Wayne. If that's the case it's a real shame,
because I just bought the toner cartridge. It was a refurbished one, so
maybe that's the problem.

Clint

* * * * *

Old November 21st 05, 04:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

wrote:
Hello. I'm looking for advice regarding a toner problem that's
happening when I print with my HP LaserJet 6P.

The pages print fine, but I think some of the toner is sticking to the
drum and causing a streak of toner to come out on the page. This
happens especially in areas of the page where there are dark
illustrations.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.wonderella.org/printproblem.htm

Should I clean part of the printer? Part of the toner cartridge? Any
and all advice gratefully accepted!

Thank you,
Clint

Clint
The problem is ghosting (the image is repeated but at lower density), as you
have pointed out toner is sticking to a roller. This can be one of two places
only.
Either the toner cartridge drum or a fuser roller.
If the problem happened immediately after you replaced the toner cartridge then
as someone suggested take the cartridge back for replacement. If not then the
fuser has failed (hopefully not as this is expensive). Ghosting is more often
the fuser than the cartridge but it is important to eliminate the cartridge
first, fuser failures usually show up slowly but cartridge failures often
happens more quickly. If it is the fuser you might be able to replace the
roller sleeve yourself, if you wish to do that report back here and I will
gladly give you some pointers.
Tony
Old November 22nd 05, 08:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On 20 Nov 2005 15:52:40 -0800, wrote:

Hello. I'm looking for advice regarding a toner problem that's
happening when I print with my HP LaserJet 6P.

The pages print fine, but I think some of the toner is sticking to the
drum and causing a streak of toner to come out on the page. This
happens especially in areas of the page where there are dark
illustrations.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.wonderella.org/printproblem.htm

Should I clean part of the printer? Part of the toner cartridge? Any
and all advice gratefully accepted!

Thank you,
Clint

It's NOT your cartridge. It's your fuser, specifically the pressure
roller is wearing out.

Cadet
Old November 23rd 05, 02:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Intriguing! At any rate, I've just come back from the store with a new
cartridge. Let me swap it out and see if the problem persists. Would
anyone like to place a wager?

Clint

Old November 26th 05, 07:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Those printers are bad for loose paper sticking on the rubber fuser rollers.
Its not the toner but the paper. I had one this week that had loose paper
stuck in the fuser. The printer would still print but the page would come
out slightly wrinkled. Avoid using recycled paper. Those little flakes of
paper will adhere to the rubber fuser roller.

"Tony" wrote in message
news
wrote:
Intriguing! At any rate, I've just come back from the store with a new
cartridge. Let me swap it out and see if the problem persists. Would
anyone like to place a wager?

Clint

OK Clint I'm game, dinner at your favourite restaurant if you pay for my
airfare!!!
Statistically I would go for the fuser, but I have seen toner cartridges
ghost
occasionally and they are cheaper than fusers. Good fault finding

technique on
a laser is to always eliminate the toner cartridge before you start

swapping
out other parts for any fault that could be toner cartridge related.
So in this case I go for the cartridge 'cos it's a better result for you.
And I am unlikely to be in your neck of the woods for ages.g
Good luck.
Tony