Slow LAN transfer rate...why?

Old February 13th 05, 03:12 AM
jtsnow

Default Slow LAN transfer rate...why?

I have a PC, P3 600 XP SP2, on my home LAN that when it does a backup to a
network harddrive on the LAN, it only outputs data at about 10megbits/s or
about 10% of the LAN utilization and 100% CPU utilization. This is with no
other activity on the LAN. And this is doing drive image backups using
Norton Ghost 9.0. Alo

2 other PCs P4 3Ghz XP SP2, when doing the same backup operate at about
30megbits/s or about 30% of LAN capacity and less then 50% CPU utilization.

Is there something I can do to improve the LAN transfer rate from the 1 PC?

Is it just that it take so much processing power to send ethernet data that
its slower CPU cant put out data like the other 2 faster P4s?.

If so, It surprizes me that it utilizes so much CPU cycles.

thanks for any insight

Old February 14th 05, 11:53 AM
Marcin Dobrucki

jtsnow wrote:
I have a PC, P3 600 XP SP2, on my home LAN that when it does a backup to a
network harddrive on the LAN, it only outputs data at about 10megbits/s or
about 10% of the LAN utilization and 100% CPU utilization. This is with no

Start by checking the duplex settings of the connection. I have seen
the 10%-problem with one of the sides was FD and the other HD on 100Mbps
connection.

/Marcin