What does 'XT' mean and is 256meg Worth having ?

Old April 30th 04, 04:19 PM
Jonathan Bishop

Default What does 'XT' mean and is 256meg Worth having ?

1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
5600 'XT'
2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
FX5600

Cheers anyone.

Old April 30th 04, 05:55 PM
Biz

Jonathan Bishop wrote:

1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
5600 'XT'

Standard clock speeds for the core and memory, and many times the also
the speed of the memory chips used, check those specs to see which you
prefer since 99 out of 100 times thats the cost difference.

2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
FX5600

Thats entirely up to you, it would depend on exactly wwhat games you
play, and what games you want to play in the future, and how long you
plan on keeping the card.
Old April 30th 04, 08:40 PM
Trevor Best

Jonathan Bishop wrote:

1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
5600 'XT'

Lower clocked, like SE on ATIs, opposite of XT on ATIs just to confuse
you :-)

2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
FX5600

No. If anything required 256MB of texture, it would kill a 5600. I have
both 128 & 256MB versions of the 5600, the smaller one actually works
better but that may be down to it being Creative compared to Inno3D.

--
Error reading sig - A)bort R)etry I)nfluence with large hammer
Old April 30th 04, 11:25 PM
DaveW

5600 is stock card.
5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.

--
DaveW

Old April 30th 04, 11:49 PM
Dark Avenger

"Jonathan Bishop" wrote in message ...
1) What do the 'XT' and 'Ultra ' tags mean when refering to a card,eg FX
5600 'XT'
2) Is 256 meg worth the extra 10 quid ( ....english pounds... ) for an
FX5600

Cheers anyone.

XT generally means "cut down version"

In case of the 5900XT it's just slower clocks and memory clocks, in
case of the 5600 though...they also cut the memory but through
half..thus making the card even slower......

And no in case of the FX5600XT..256Mb aint worth it....even on a 5700
Ultra anything more then 128Mb is totally not important!
Old May 1st 04, 10:51 AM
Dark Avenger

"DaveW" wrote in message news:knAkc.576$_41.24783@attbi_s02...
5600 is stock card.
5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.

--
DaveW

Sorry DaveW there is ANOTHER difference, the FX5600XT has to go in
life with a mere 64-bits memory bus!
Old May 1st 04, 09:03 PM
empireAA

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"DaveW" wrote in message

5600 is stock card.
5600 XT has its clock slowed down.
5600 Ultra has its clock sped up.

--
DaveW

Sorry DaveW there is ANOTHER difference, the FX5600XT has to go in
life with a mere 64-bits memory bus!

Not all 5600 XT have a 64 bit memory bus. In fact I hava a Gainward 5600 XT
that has a 128 bit memory bus. To make absolutely sure what your memory bus
is use an very popular called RivaTuner. It has never been wrong.

Old May 4th 04, 06:38 AM
Damaeus

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, (Dark
Avenger) posted on 30 Apr 2004 15:49:19 -0700:

XT generally means "cut down version"

If I'd known that, I wouldn't have gotten my Chaintech 5600XT.