Do SD/MMC memory slots need driver updates to read SDHC memory cards?

Old February 24th 09, 05:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ken

Default Do SD/MMC memory slots need driver updates to read SDHC memory cards?

I have just purchased a Canon digitalcamera. I have an 8GB HP SD High
Capacity memory card that I have used but with some problems. Like the
32MB card that came with the camera, the 8 GB memory card is formatted
in RAW.

When I remove the 8 GB SDHC card from the camera and put it into my 3
year old laptop, the card is recognized in but not any files on the
disk. In Explorer there is a Removable SD/MMC drive assignment, but
when I click on the drive, I receive a message that the drive is not
accessible and that the network resource type is not correct. When I
check Properties, it shows 0 bytes!! Yet, when I put the card in a USB
receiver and look at it in Explorer, then the card is recognized as 8 GB
and the picture files are shown, as well as the appropriate
directories..! I am trying to figure if it is an issue with the
operating system, the SD HC memory card, or the computer SD/MMC slot.

Does anyone have any info?

Thanks
Ken K
Old February 24th 09, 06:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

ken wrote:
[...]

Thats a very common result when the laptop card reader
cant handle cards bigger than it was designed to handle.

Old February 24th 09, 07:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ken

Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm.... So how does one determine how large a card an internal card
reader can read?
Old February 24th 09, 10:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Grant[_4_]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:04:33 -0800, ken wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
I have just purchased a Canon digitalcamera. I have an 8GB HP SD High
Capacity memory card that I have used but with some problems. Like
the 32MB card that came with the camera, the 8 GB memory card is
formatted in RAW.

What's RAW? SDHC is FAT32.

[...]

SD/MMC is not the same as SDHC, though an SDHC enabled device can work
with SD/MMC, see your camera manual.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
Old February 24th 09, 03:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ken

Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
[...]

RAW, as I understand it, is the format for camera images (raw image
data). The SD/MMC designation is the designation of the SD/MMC socket
and it is how the socket/"drive" shows up in Explorer.

So how does SDHC differ from SD? If there is a difference, then perhaps
I can solve this by just purchasing an SD memory card of the same size,
which would be fine with me.

The Canon manual says I can use SD, SDHC cards, and MMC cards so that
would imply that the problem is either in the limitations, if any, of my
SD/MMC socket or in the OS. Does anyone know if there are new drivers
needed to read/recognize an SDHC card in Windows XP?

Here is what the manual says about memory:

Thanks
Ken K
Old February 24th 09, 05:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ian D

Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
[...]

The maximum memory size for an SD card is 2GB. Anything
over that requires an SDHC card. The cards are externally
physically identical. SD cards are 16 bit FAT. That's why
there's a 2GB limit. SDHC cards are FAT32.

Camera RAW has nothing to do with file structure. It's a picture
file format in which data is transferred directly from the camera's
image sensor array to the storage card without any internal
processing. To use the images you need a RAW converter to
read the particular camera's RAW files.

Old February 24th 09, 06:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
I have just purchased a Canon digitalcamera. I have an 8GB HP SD High
Capacity memory card that I have used but with some problems. Like
the 32MB card that came with the camera, the 8 GB memory card is
formatted in RAW.

What's RAW? SDHC is FAT32.

RAW, as I understand it, is the format for camera images (raw image
data). The SD/MMC designation is the designation of the SD/MMC socket
and it is how the socket/"drive" shows up in Explorer.

The RAW designation in disk manager and error messages means the boot sector is not FAT or NTFS.
(corrupt data from card reader)
Old February 24th 09, 07:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Harry[_7_]

On Feb 23, 8:57*pm, ken wrote:
[...]

To answer your question on your subjectline, yes.
Just google it.
Old February 24th 09, 08:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kenk

Eric Gisin wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
I have just purchased a Canon digitalcamera. I have an 8GB HP SD
High
Capacity memory card that I have used but with some problems. Like
the 32MB card that came with the camera, the 8 GB memory card is
formatted in RAW.

What's RAW? SDHC is FAT32.

RAW, as I understand it, is the format for camera images (raw image
data). The SD/MMC designation is the designation of the SD/MMC socket
and it is how the socket/"drive" shows up in Explorer.

The RAW designation in disk manager and error messages means the boot
sector is not FAT or NTFS.
(corrupt data from card reader)

OK, then, so is there any way I can format the card so that it will be
read? The camera does a "low level format" on the card, which then,
when placed in a USB holder, is read as RAW format 7.6GB (and the files
can be accessed), but when placed in the SD/MMC slot, reads "0 bytes".
As noted above, a 32MB SD card is read properly and Explorer shows the
proper file folders.

So, is what is being said that I can only use a 2GB SD card if I want it
to be read in the SD/MMC slot of my laptop?
Old February 24th 09, 08:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

ken wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
ken wrote:
[...]

The only real way is to try them and see.