How to prefix comments in a Windows registry (*.reg) file?

Old January 8th 14, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
John Doe

Default How to prefix comments in a Windows registry (*.reg) file?

The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

Thanks.
Old January 8th 14, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Mike Easter

John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I'm reading that it should be a semicolon ;

--
Mike Easter
Old January 8th 14, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
JJ

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:56:26 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

Thanks.

No. You must use ";" for comment marker.
And you can only use it AFTER the "REGEDIT4" line.
e.g.:

***sample start***
REGEDIT4

;comment
[section1]
;comment
key=value
;comment
[section2]
;comment
***sample end***
Old January 8th 14, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Mike Barnes

John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I've always used a semicolon.

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound
sign. "£" is a pound sign.

--
Mike Barnes
Old January 8th 14, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Mike Easter

Mike Barnes wrote:

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound
sign. "£" is a pound sign.

In the US, # may mean 'number' like #2 pencil or 'pound' (as in weight,
not currency), so most US people call the telephone button the pound
(sign) button.

One story of the evolution of the pound term for your hash was that it
evolved from printer fonts wanting an abbreviation for pound lb which
wouldn't be confusing 'L B' with 'one B' so they made a font with lb
with a line through the verticals of the L and B, and it evolved into
just a 'hash' for the pound weight from there.

--
Mike Easter
Old January 8th 14, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Paul

On 1/8/2014 4:45 PM, Mike Barnes wrote:
John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I've always used a semicolon.

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound sign. "£" is a pound sign.

At work, the term Octothorpe was used on occasion. It doesn't
have a very storied past though - some telephone engineers
made it up :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octotho...mes_in_English

Paul

Old January 8th 14, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Gene E. Bloch[_4_]

On 1/08/2014, Mike Barnes posted:
John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I've always used a semicolon.

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a
pound sign. "£" is a pound sign.

Once you guys adopt the Euro, you will be able to use our terminology.

A bit more seriously: another name for the pound sign/number sign/hash
mark is octothorpe. Some document made it known to me & my coworkers,
maybe around 1975; it seemed to have come from the Bell Telephone
Company in the US. It seemed pretty weird to us, so it triggered a
whole rash of jokes, as well as a few cartoons on our chalkboards from
the more creative people there.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old January 8th 14, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Gene E. Bloch[_4_]

On 1/08/2014, Paul posted:
John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I've always used a semicolon.

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a
pound sign. "£" is a pound sign.

At work, the term Octothorpe was used on occasion. It doesn't
have a very storied past though - some telephone engineers
made it up :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octotho...mes_in_English

Paul

Your post appeared as I was typing my own reply. Thanks for the link
(which I was too lazy to look for when entering my reply!).

More than I might have wanted to know about #, but actually an
enjoyable article. Thanks!

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old January 8th 14, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Juan Wei

Mike Easter has written on 1/8/2014 5:20 PM:
Mike Barnes wrote:

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound
sign. "£" is a pound sign.

In the US, # may mean 'number' like #2 pencil or 'pound' (as in weight,
not currency), so most US people call the telephone button the pound
(sign) button.

But of course its real name is "octothorpe"!!

Old January 9th 14, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:45:55 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I've always used a semicolon.

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound
sign. "£" is a pound sign.

Here in the USA, I've often it called both pound sign and hash sign.
Personally, I probably mostly use the term "pound sign" most often.