Building your own computer

Old October 14th 11, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

Default Building your own computer

How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? Is it worth it?
Old October 14th 11, 07:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

whitneyl whitneyl123 verizon.net wrote:

How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of
the art computer?

A lot more difficult than buying one.

Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on his
own in a reasonable amount of time?

Not as quickly as you could buy one. Impatience can turn a small
problem into a big problem. Things can go wrong, and you need
patience to find your way out.

It's like pushing the envelope with your computer. Like when you
are troubleshooting a software problem. You go on a detour. And
that detour leads to another detour. And so on. Things usually go
well, but you can get lost easily.

Would I be able to get some good help from the group?

Yeah. Good idea to have another way to access the Internet.

Is it worth it?

If you mean cost wise, I think not. Original equipment
manufacturers by 100,000 of the same component and pay a fraction
of what you and I pay for it, and then they use an assembly line.

The main benefit of homebuilding IMO is that eventually you end up
with a very customized system, to precisely meet your own needs.
Then again, a computer is more or less a computer. They all do
just about the same thing. The more power, the more you can do. I
would start with a high-quality system that can be upgraded, and
do that. You can start with a hotshot system that comes with a
good case and power supply. Won't be long until you need to
upgrade it, and you can start from there. Another benefit is that
you don't have to spend a lot of money at once. Retail parts are
expensive but not nearly as much as a new system. Eventually you
will need to upgrade the motherboard, and that one can be a bear.
By the way, when you get there... Be wary of power supply advice.
Always opt for a good name brand over a high wattage rating.

I guess some prefer to build a whole system at once. But you might
not want to learn that way.

Good luck and have fun.
Old October 14th 11, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

whitneyl wrote:
How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? Is it worth it?

You'll need a screwdriver.

The best part, is never having to call Dell.

Paul
Old October 14th 11, 08:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Oct 14, 1:00 am, whitneyl wrote:
How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? Is it worth it?

Ideally, the build should be prepared for in advance. Each part
researched and reviewed for acceptance and performance level
characteristics and any aspect of assembly first studied if not yet
understood. Not quite like the UTube video I looked at for rebuilding
a carburetor with two $.49 cent gaskets after pulling the mated gas
tank and carb assembly on a Briggs and Stratton 500 series motor, but
you get the idea. I'm not saying dirty hands especially bother me,
actually, I've never worn rubber gloves or a static wrist strap when
building, either, although I did notice someone mention the rust on my
gas tank bottom, that it should be clean enough inside there sensibly
to eat off of. Understand that for conceivably less than 49 cents
there are those who would throw something into the dumpster to cart
off to a landfill rather than lift one finger. Just as there's always
great help to be found when wiping one's butt with $50 bills after
using the toilet, although in proper perspective, fixing my 10-year-
old, piece-of-**** computer would nigh be an impossibility.
Old October 14th 11, 12:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

On 14/10/11 1:00 PM, whitneyl wrote:
How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? Is it worth it?

Do you have a friend to guide you?

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old October 14th 11, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

On Oct 13, 11:13*pm, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the good advice. I'm probably going to do exactly as you
suggested. I'm looking at HP or Dell, but I'm a little nervous about
HP these days, and Dell seems to be losing ground to Lenovo. I've had
good success with Dell in the past, but I haven't bought a new PC in
almost 10 years. Needless to say, I need to upgrade really bad right
now, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet. HP seems to offer the
best selection of components. Do you have any comment on
Manufacturers?

Thanks Again.
Larry
Old October 14th 11, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

On Oct 13, 11:33*pm, Paul wrote:
whitneyl wrote:
How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? *Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? *Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? *Is it worth it?

You'll need a screwdriver.

The best part, is never having to call Dell.

* * Paul

I agree. Even though my past experience with Dell has been mostly
good, I do agree that it is a hassle dealing with them when a problem
arises. I"ve been lucky that the Desktop I bought from Dell about 10
years ago, has been mostly a very good machine with only a few minor
problems over the years. I just really need a new machine now.

Thanks.
Regards,
Larry
Old October 14th 11, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

On Oct 14, 12:48*am, Flasherly wrote:
[...]

In the interest of time, I'm probably going to buy a new "expandable"
system, and modify as needed. Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Larry
Old October 14th 11, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

On Oct 14, 4:03*am, Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 14/10/11 1:00 PM, whitneyl wrote:

How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? *Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? *Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? *Is it worth it?

Do you have a friend to guide you?

--
* *@~@ * You have the right to remain silence.
* / v \ *Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 15 i686) *Linux 3.0.4
* *^ ^ * 22:56:01 up 5 days 2:09 0 users load average: 0.09 0.05 0.06
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa

I don't, but I kind of thought I could get help from this forum and
maybe users like you. I think I'm going to take another users advice
and buy an "upgradable" system, then modify as needed.

Thanks for your response.
Regards,
Larry
Old October 14th 11, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
rb[_13_]

whitneyl;1312498 Wrote:
How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer? Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on
his own in a reasonable amount of time? Would I be able to get some
good help from the group? Is it worth it?

Whitneyl,
It's really not that difficult, and yes...you can get a better bang for
the buck building your own.
Best to do some research first, to familiarize yourself with the
components, nomenclature, etc.
A good source of info....check out---
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_...e_A_Desktop_PC

Any questions, post them here...

New to computer building [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 April 9th 08 05:34 PM
Help With Building A Computer Erin Peterson General 3 January 13th 05 04:25 AM
Building my own computer [email protected] General 2 November 14th 03 04:37 AM
Building a computer Insoo General 4 September 3rd 03 05:24 PM
Building New Computer Jack Bruss Homebuilt PC's 8 July 6th 03 11:22 PM