DVD Drives

Old July 20th 03, 04:54 AM
Gareth Church

Default DVD Drives

"Dimas Guardado" wrote in message
I'm building a new computer to take up to Cal with me. I'm trying to get
top of the line parts for good prices. I'm now on the hunt for a DVD

drive.
Any suggestions? I would also appreciate magazine and website reviews of
these products. Thanks a lot.

They're all much the same. Lite-on tend to be pretty cheap. Pioneer is nice
too. I say just buy any old DVD, and spend your time worrying about
something more important like the motherboard.

Gareth

Old July 20th 03, 07:42 PM
Dimas Guardado

Cool. That's pretty much what i figured. I just needed a backup opinion.
Thanks a lot, buddy.

-Dimas

Old July 21st 03, 09:25 AM
BarryNL

Gareth Church wrote:
"Dimas Guardado" wrote in message

I'm building a new computer to take up to Cal with me. I'm trying to get
top of the line parts for good prices. I'm now on the hunt for a DVD

drive.

Any suggestions? I would also appreciate magazine and website reviews of
these products. Thanks a lot.

They're all much the same. Lite-on tend to be pretty cheap. Pioneer is nice
too. I say just buy any old DVD, and spend your time worrying about
something more important like the motherboard.

I'd go with Lite-On - they are cheap but they certainly don't act like
it. My Lite-On DVD drive happily plays rental DVDs that won't even play
in my regular DVD player.

Old July 21st 03, 05:01 PM
jaster

"BarryNL" wrote in message ...
Gareth Church wrote:
"Dimas Guardado" wrote in message

I'm building a new computer to take up to Cal with me. I'm trying to

get
top of the line parts for good prices. I'm now on the hunt for a DVD

drive.

Any suggestions? I would also appreciate magazine and website reviews

of
these products. Thanks a lot.

They're all much the same. Lite-on tend to be pretty cheap. Pioneer is

nice
too. I say just buy any old DVD, and spend your time worrying about
something more important like the motherboard.

I'd go with Lite-On - they are cheap but they certainly don't act like
it. My Lite-On DVD drive happily plays rental DVDs that won't even play
in my regular DVD player.

Why bother when you can get an APEX regular DVD palyer from Wal-Mart for $50
?

Old July 22nd 03, 11:34 AM
BarryNL

jaster wrote:
"BarryNL" wrote in message ...

Gareth Church wrote:

"Dimas Guardado" wrote in message
. ..

I'm building a new computer to take up to Cal with me. I'm trying to

get

top of the line parts for good prices. I'm now on the hunt for a DVD

drive.

Any suggestions? I would also appreciate magazine and website reviews

of

these products. Thanks a lot.

They're all much the same. Lite-on tend to be pretty cheap. Pioneer is

nice

too. I say just buy any old DVD, and spend your time worrying about
something more important like the motherboard.

I'd go with Lite-On - they are cheap but they certainly don't act like
it. My Lite-On DVD drive happily plays rental DVDs that won't even play
in my regular DVD player.

Why bother when you can get an APEX regular DVD palyer from Wal-Mart for $50
?

Well, my "local" Wal-Mart being a few thousand miles away for a start.

Old July 24th 03, 11:28 AM
LeeB18509

"rAD" wrote in message
. net...

"jaster" wrote in message
y.com...

"BarryNL" wrote in message

Gareth Church wrote:
[...]

Ripping DVDs to SVCDs is one of the fun things you can do with a DVD drive
and is very easy. All you need is this free bundle

http://www.dvd2svcd.org/
and the cinemacraft exe that you can find on p2p

Most movies will fit on two CDs, which you usually can get for free after
rebate. You'll need PowerDVD or WinDVD to view them on your PC tho. Stand
alone players all play SVCDs.

rAD

I tried a lot of the converting programs and this one was by far the easiest
to use. Everything you need from start to finish.
http://members.eezi.net.au/~phatjeff/

Choose XVCD and it will max out the bitrate so as to fill up the 2 discs.
Instead of two 1150k/bs VCD's you get the most out of the discs without
blank space. The quality is between VCD and SVCD. And they play with WMP
as well....

Old July 25th 03, 02:39 AM
rAD

"LeeB18509" wrote in message

"rAD" wrote in message
. net...

"jaster" wrote in message
y.com...

"BarryNL" wrote in message

Gareth Church wrote:
[...]

The quality with www.dvd2svcd.org and cinemcraft mpeg2 is nearly as good as
DVD as long as you don't zoom it. It's faster than TMPGEnc too. But you do
have to be a bit dishonest and swipe the small cinemacraft 2.5 exe file.

BTW, this is a great test for a new computer cuz it runs the CPU and memory
at maximum for several hours.

rAD

are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE? AFN General 12 October 28th 04 07:45 PM
Seagate Redesigns Drives (with 73GB to 300GB capacities) Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 04:01 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
Adding ATA 133 Controller Card Michael L. Coleman General 4 September 21st 03 07:20 AM